It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rolling Stone: Welcome to Donald Trump's Ignorant America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

This is Donald Trump's America: one where things like art and books and science and learning and thoughtful consideration of complicated problems are deemed worthless and tossed aside. This can't be surprising after the Trump we saw on the campaign trail, the man who never answered a question with a hint of intelligence or depth. In an interview this week, he couldn't name a single book he's reading. He's appointed a secretary of education who wants to destroy public schools. He reportedly offered a notorious anti-vaccination activist a position leading a commission investigating vaccines. He called global warming a Chinese hoax.

Of course he's getting rid of the NEA and the NEH. What use does Donald Trump have for the things that make life beautiful and good? He surrounds himself with gilded ugliness. He's a billionaire who hangs a Renoir reproduction in the $100 million abattoir he lives in, because why would he want an original? He has enough money and fame to access to the finest tailors in the world, and his suits don't fit. His hair is stupid.

SOURCE

The article linked above is hard to argue with in some ways. I honestly don't see how anyone could support eliminating the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities.

With that said, I continue to tenuously support Trump simply because he appears to not be a puppet. Isn't that what every conspiracy researcher has been dreaming about for decades?

I have a big problem with the allegation that Trump "surrounds himself with gilded ugliness." That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm assuming the author of the article linked above has seen Melania Trump?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
it`s simple math, we are 20 trillion in debt we can`t afford to be spending money on things like that, if it`s that important to people and enough people support it then let them donate money to it.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Anybody ever watch that vice episode where their in aleppo and a russian soldier calls the rolling stone journalist a bad name.

The russian soldier was correct as evidence of their crap bias articles like this
edit on 20-1-2017 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
"Gilded Ugliness"...
That covers a good 90 percent of the art world.
I'm not being cynical. I enjoy looking at ugly.
I just don't pretend it is something otherwise.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

As an opening point... Rolling Stone lost the last bit of their credibility during the COMPLETELY FABRICATED college gang-rape story. They acted in the worst possible way and damaged at least one person's life in a way that is inexcusable.

As for the NEA... from their site...

The National Endowment for the Arts is an independent federal agency that funds, promotes, and strengthens the creative capacity of our communities by providing all Americans with diverse opportunities for arts participation.

I ask this in all sincerity.... if the NEA didn't exist... how does that limit people's creativity? How does that stifle creativity? I spent a fair amount of time on their website and while I have no objection to their existence... I'm not sure why I should be paying for it (unless I am moved to donate to it of my own free will).

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

From your source .

His hair is stupid.

How grown up .

The arts and humanities are tools for getting at the truth of things.

Huh , how

He won on the promise of banning a religion from immigrating, a rejection not just of an entire culture but of the idea of culture itself.

Yes the people voted how they felt .

America you have a president . Those that dont support you President and those protesting in the streets are borderline traitors .

They all need to wake up .

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

It's the Rolling Stone. So a liberal-slanted fake news publication has a writer that doesn't like our newest President. I have to wonder, is it a news source if it was a publication about music but devolved into the HuffPo for people who weren't smart enough for HuffPo articles? But I digress.

The writer has an opinion. We are all allowed that.

On the other hand, the article reads like a 5-year old with a sugar high screaming and spinning around with snot and tears streaming out of it's faceholes scrawled it on a napkin before running into traffic.

So it's an opinion. I'm sure other snowflakes will like it, post it, forward it, etc.

Let's see what the new guy will do, without the endless moaning and bitching and screaming and groaning about the end of humanity because one elected official changed.

You know... be an adult about it.

edit on 23Fri, 20 Jan 2017 23:38:25 -0600America/Chicago17th2017-01-20T23:38:25-06:00pmFridayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The very next line after what you have quoted, an admission by the author of the article:

"I know, I'm petty. I'm a snob. I'm a liberal elitist, and elitist liberal snobbery is why Trump won. You know what? I don't care."

Huh. Well, maybe that explains the viewpoint. As another poster stated, it is a matter of simple math. Pay for art, when we are already DEEP in the hole, or use the money for something that will actually benefit more people?

Easy decision, in my opinion. Nothing against art, but the money could be put to better use.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yeah, remember when Rolling Stone put a murdering terrorist on the cover as if he was a motherflipping icon or symbol?

www.bbc.com...

Rolling Stone can go to hell.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If you art is good, you can sell your art.
If you can't sell your art, you should not get a grant.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
When you can't pay your bills...

You shouldn't be buying art.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
RS is in the toilet. Partisan hacksmanship at it's lowest.

With so many trillion in debt, do we really need to be financing arts which produce nothing more than Hollywood "drama"?

It's obvious that Trump is looking at which departments and items actually conform to governmental functions.

Arts, crafts, sports stadiums....they should be self-supporting.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ive been a musician my whole life and ive never received one penny of that cash. Nor have any of my hundreds or thousands of artist and musician friends / acquaintences ive known over the years.

So, good riddance if you ask me. Government is bloated in every way. Cut it all down to size.
edit on 21-1-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Endowment, you mean freeloader that has no value to society

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Do you liberals not understand that the U.S. is BROKE? We can't even afford the most basic of essentials without borrowing money from China or some other country. If we are ever able to get our finances in order (not likely), then maybe we can consider financing the arts, until then, you snowflakes are in for a RUDE awakening.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I already hate the bitch

sorry the language

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
What else is new ,that magazine was popular in 70's,now it's run by a bunch of old lame liberals,bunch of opininated crap

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

Thanks comrade.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Yep. All those libraries are gonna close. Museums, too. Art galleries? Gone.

I'm sure martial law will be started soon, too.

Used to like Rolling Stone...not so much anymore.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

It doesn't as far as I can tell.

A good artist will find a market, and/or a patron. Were I absurdly wealthy, I would probably sponsor good young artists to help 'em out. Who doesn't like fine art? Paintings? Sculptor? etc...?

That's the way it was done long before the NEA. Yet they still managed to have incredible art made.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join