It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did Diego Garcia Escape Tsunami?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Following the tsunami, conspiracy rumours have been circulating on the internet of how the US base at Diego Garcia managed to avoid casualties while other islands suffered huge losses. The US Navy’s official Diego Garcia website said the island wasn’t hit by the devastating tsunami because it is surrounded by deep waters and the grade of its shores does not allow for tsunamis to build before hitting land. The site said the earthquake generated a tidal surge on the island estimated at six feet.

Let me know what you think. Is this just anti-US sentiment on the web or something more worrying?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Perhaps it's because they went underground. The only people there are military and prisoners. DG ops would probly survive nuclear war.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No, I don't think that's it ECK...this has been discussed in a number of posts. The seabed topography to the east of Diego Garcia was not conducive to a large tidal wave in that region.

[edit on 1-29-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
The seabed topography to the east of Diego Garcia was not conducive to a large tidal wave in that region.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it's classified. The unwashed masses would never know.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If i recall the geography, isn't it also about 500miles from the nearest damage areas? that would give more time for the wave to dissapate...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
If i recall the geography, isn't it also about 500miles from the nearest damage areas?

It's pretty far out there.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
this has been discussed. The ocean floor near diego garcia drops significantly.

That is why the waves were smaller. Its all about geography

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Please explain how a stationary base and an entire island can avoid a tsunami and why the given explanations are inadequate

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Wow, they just gave reasons...

top topics

join