It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec women accused of assaulting a minor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.ctvnews.ca...

I bet you 10$ say she will be let go because of the excuse 'he told me he was 18' and fact she a woman. :| If men were in the same position. They would get no empathy or anything and probably be punished harsher. I'm a woman myself fyi.

If she is convicted she could face up to 7 years.

Here is a thing I don't like the double standards here. If men were in the same position. They won't get support and convicted more harshly but if a woman done it. It's "OMG, feel bad for her. That creep lied to her! He should be the one facing charges!"

:| She probably knew he was underage but just didn't care.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Gagne believed the man, who she reportedly described as 6-foot-1 and with a beard, was 18 years old. However, he was only 15 years old. Under Bahamian law, the age of consent for sexual intercourse

Under Canadian law as well, he only needs to be 16.
So, she may still get off (legally, not, well, you know...)

If it was the other way around, it wouldn't make much difference to most, no 15 year old in that situation is innocent, male or female, especially if they initiated the encounter.
The article isn't clear on that point.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit15 year old can only have sex within the 'close age exception rule' switch is 3-4 years older. This girl is 23.

Thing is under the law teens are not held the same as adults. In situations of adult x teen. It's always the adult responsibility to make the correct choice regardless who started it. :O

I'm just generally saying is that men get harsher and treated harsher for doing crimes while women usually get a slap on the wrist or not even get punished. I just don't think it's fair. Women should face the same punishments as men.

edit on 20-1-2017 by CaptainHook because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

When I was 16 I would have been pretty pissed if having sex with a willing 23 year old woman was illegal. I don't know how it is for women, but I would not have felt used or molested.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

When I was 23 I worked for a private all girls HS. It was awkward when I was hit on by a student.
I was actually contacted by a graduate when she was 18. . .

Yeah. We dated for a couple months. But the age gap really is a lot, at that age.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainHook
a reply to: snowspirit15 year old can only have sex within the 'close age exception rule' switch is 3-4 years older. This girl is 23.

Thing is under the law teens are not held the same as adults. In situations of adult x teen. It's always the adult responsibility to make the correct choice regardless who started it. :O

I'm just generally saying is that men get harsher and treated harsher for doing crimes while women usually get a slap on the wrist or not even get punished. I just don't think it's fair. Women should face the same punishments as men.

As I understand it, hormonal challenges of being a teenager plays havoc with the developing mind and in some cases, rendering said mind, insane. It is known the brain is the last organ to complete it's development at around the age of 23!

So, whilst the hormonal urges may drive a teen to believe they want the sexual encounter, their mind will not be sufficiently developed to make fully rational choices and therefore, any adult (over 23yrs old) engaging in sexual activity with a child (under the legal age of consent/majority), is being exploitative.

I agree, females who exploit vulnerability, including the natural irrationality of hormonally driven teens, should face the same consequences of an adult male who makes the same choices.

new topics

top topics

join