It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously? Schools reportedly to black out Trump's inaugural address

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

They're just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's all about scouring the right-wing news on the web in order to find new ways to bash the left. This was a non-issue.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Annee

They're just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's all about scouring the right-wing news on the web in order to find new ways to bash the left. This was a non-issue.

Oh, I know. Then they try to drag me into some extended argument I have/had nothing to do with.

I'm just not an arguer for the sake of arguing.

I provided a fact. That's it.

edit on 20-1-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

There maybe a different side you are not considering.

How about the fact that if this is off limits it also gives trump and the repubs a "bad" or "dangerous" option.

Could this be the teachers/admin's little hissy fit getting even becasue HRC couldn't close the deal?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: seasonal

Leftists just keep looking more and more stupid and bitter. The country is laughing at you.
Keep it up

"The country"? We leftists are part of the country too, you know - at least half of it.

On topic, as divided and emotional and controversial as this election has been, if I were a principal, I wouldn't want to invite that trouble into my classroom. I would say, the kids can watch it at home later.

An inauguration is an event that happens once every 4 years. Regardless of who the participants are, this is a rare opportunity for a civics lesson, and the average school child may only have at most 2 opportunities to view one during their entire time in school.

Remove your partisan blinders for a moment and let that sink in. It is an important lesson for how this country's government operates.

Imagine, my kid might have been born such that all he ever got to see was Obama being sworn in, but would I get upset over that? No. An inauguration by itself is worth the viewing for what it is and represents and is a valuable part of learning civics. It's something that should be seen and discussed for what it is.

In fact, he did see the inauguration at his school today, and would have seen it had Hillary been the one elected.
edit on 20-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Please explain to me how someone in the age of the internet is still not able to view the inaugural address? Explain to me how it isn't possible to teach about how the transition of power occurs without having to watch it live?

It can be viewed not only once, but a hundred times over again, if desired.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't recall any inaugurations being broadcast in school when I was in school. Didn't see Bush Sr, Clinton, or Dubya's inaugurations at school. Not a big deal not to then or now, IMO.

Whether or not it was or wasn't today, I don't think it's necessary to shove down students' gullets wholesale. Save it for home, unless it's a civics or history class where maybe it could go towards the subject a bit, if applicable. Living history examples sometimes count quite a bit.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Not if the school has a policy against it.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I don't recall any inaugurations being broadcast in school when I was in school. Didn't see Bush Sr, Clinton, or Dubya's inaugurations at school. Not a big deal not to then or now, IMO.

Whether or not it was or wasn't today, I don't think it's necessary to shove down students' gullets wholesale. Save it for home, unless it's a civics or history class where maybe it could go towards the subject a bit, if applicable. Living history examples sometimes count quite a bit.

In the OP it was stated the school showed Obama's but not this one.

It's one thing if the policy is not to. It's another thing if the school picks and chooses. That makes it look like a political decision on the part of the school.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

It's entirely possible that teachers gave their students the assignment of watching the inauguration at home on the internet.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not if the school has a policy against it.

A policy against what? Watching the inauguration at home? Are you claiming that the schools in question forbade the students from watching the inauguration on their own time?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Then do your job as a parent as instill some civics knowledge yourself? We know full well civics classes in high schools are just about the way of the dodo (they already were when I was in middle school at the end of the 90's, no high schools near me had a civics class, mandatory OR elective, anymore)
While I may have used it in my post as an example of a class that could use it today as a real-time lesson, I wouldn't put much stock in it. Not even in a history class. Maybe they can devote a few minutes, but it's nearly pointless without the civics background to really explain the government processes.

Therefore, if your kid's school can't pony up a civics class and lay the foundation for understanding what you feel is important regarding an inauguration, mind that gap and teach it yourself.
edit on 1/20/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Or maybe they were supposed to go to their grand parents and watch it and do the report from there.

Or maybe go to Starbucks and watch and do the report from there.

Or maybe......

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Or maybe they were supposed to go to their grand parents and watch it and do the report from there.

Or maybe go to Starbucks and watch and do the report from there.

Or maybe......

It's actually possible it may have been a homework assignment. There's already heaps of homework heaped on kids after the end of the school day to tackle, what's one more a la "watch a replay of the inauguration and write a report on it, due tomorrow" or some such?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

So, when I am taxed heavily to provide an education that includes a knowledge of civics to children, I now need to pick up the ball and do the educating myself?

I ask you then, what good are the public schools if they aren't doing what we sink so much tax money into them to do?

This is why so many parents are pulling their kids to homeschool or finding the means to private school, and that's precisely where my kid is ... and guess what? He watched the freakin' inauguration today!
edit on 20-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The idea behind not allowing it to be viewed is because some admins are not objective. This is to show the kids that Trump is off limits because he is so dangerous and vulgar.

Ulterior motives, if it isn't Democrats forget it.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

So, when I am taxed heavily to provide an education that includes a knowledge of civics to children, I now need to pick up the ball and do the educating myself?

I ask you then, what good are the public schools if they aren't doing what we sink so much tax money into them to do?

This is why so many parents are pulling their kids to homeschool or finding the means to private school, and that's precisely where my kid is ... and guess what? He watched the freakin' inauguration today!

If the class doesn't exist, either DIY, or get heavily involved in your school & school district, and get civics added back into the class list. Bitching online doesn't get axed classes reinstated, now does it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join