It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst. President. Ever: Obama First President EVER to Not Reach 3% GDP Growth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: woopy

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: seasonal

Oh how quickly you forget the Global Financial Crisis and its aftermath that Obama inherited.

Exactly plus the republican majority in congress which was working against Obama

This excuse is so tiresome. Obama failed to develop relationships across the aisle, roll his sleeves up and WORK at real progress. Of course, the opposing party will try to block his efforts. That's when REAL leadership is revealed and you get in there and work work work to make it happen. He was LAZY....period. He preferred to use his phone and pen and issue EOs rather than accomplish real things through the legislative process. Worst president EVER.

The Republicans in Congress made it their top political priorty to make Obama a 1-term president:

When that failed, they stifled him at every turn.

You can't make friends with a wall.
edit on 17Fri, 20 Jan 2017 17:40:48 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

No way ,you have to knock it down.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy

originally posted by: bknapple32
And I could throw up a ton of "graph's" that show all sorts of growth. Lulz.....

Except that any economist would agree that GDP growth is the single most important indicator for economic growth, so any other graph you put up would be lying with statistics

I know many many economists who would disagree with you on that point. GDP is an outdated metric and is actually a very shortsighted indicator of economic health.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

That is an understandable, but entirely unrealistic view.

Simply put, if Obama was going to knock down that wall, then he would have had to have had two terms with total, or at least much greater percentage of the control of the Senate and Congress being held by the Dems, to get his plans put through cleanly, intact, and without any form of alteration, fiddling or sabotage (which is what happened to pretty much everything that passed through Congress on his watch, and about which NO President of the United States in history, would have been able to do a damned thing).

Bills that were not slapped down by the Republicans, were broken beyond recognition by the time they passed. That is not something he could have changed without the Congress being far more agreeable than they were, and again, Mitch McConnell and friends ensured that they were not.

And once again, the problems that come about during something like the 2007-2008 recession, cannot, read it one more time, CANNOT be resolved inside of a decade. It takes AGES for things to balance out, for things over which no political entity has any control what so ever, to stabilise enough for investor confidence to return to normal, and for the private companies which rely on that confidence to get back on their feet, if they do not collapse with everything else. It is a LONG process, cannot be shortened, cannot be sped up, altered, messed with or in any way positively affected.

It has to be lived through, put up with, and worked around. There are no other options. If we must be foolish enough to allow banks to make people homeless by giving out bad loans, if we must permit employers, the large companies to refuse to pay their employees enough that they require no loans in the first place, if the western economic model MUST be based on trickle down bull crap, with predatory credit companies in the mix, then this crap will happen again, and do you know what else? The next time it happens, it will take decades to stabilise, and it will happen because somehow, the governments will have permitted the banks to trade in bad mortgages and credit again, rather than dealing with good investments only.

Again, it was not Obama that caused the crash, and Obama never could have done a damned thing about the crash. It was always going to be a crapshow, and there is not a single soul on the face of the Earth who could have done a better job of trying to deal with the mess that remained afterward.

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Obama never had appropriate fortitude to even TRY,not that an activist would WANT to...

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   

That makes no sense what so ever. First of all, fortitude is irrelevant in this instance, because it would not have mattered how much of it he had, as the result would have been precisely identical.

Also, activists are those who DO try to beat insurmountable odds. Activists are some of the most dedicated and hardworking people in the political sphere, no matter which side of the political divide they happen to be on. They are always putting themselves in danger at a protest, a march, or a rally, or dropping leaflets through post boxes, spreading the particular message they adhere to everywhere, spending hours and hours every week on phones, writing letters to politicians, businesspersons, or newspapers, or devoting themselves to any other means of getting whatever message they support into the public consciousness. There are activists who advocate for injured veterans, there are activists who want to raise awareness about species die offs, bees, trees and other wildlife being eradicated, there are activists who are trying to get big pharma under control, and activists who are trying to prevent big oil from affecting political discourse, there are activists trying to remove lobbying from government, so that big companies and special interest groups backed by financial concerns of note, cannot buy favour from congresspersons, senators, or members of a particular administration. There are activists against abortion, and activists for it, there are activists trying to improve the lives of young people in inner cities, activists trying to get proper treatment for the mentally ill.

These are motivated, dedicated individuals who are trying to make a difference in the spheres of life with which they are primarily concerned. That requires a damned sight more fortitude, than just working for a wage every day, then going home to vegetate in front of the television to wash away the conscious process which screams "Is THIS all there is?!".

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

AHH...maybe in England HERE they are predominantly augmented by lazy thugs looking to be criminals ,ALA Soros.
The actual activists have proven beyond the shadow of ANY doubt they are self serving obstructionists with a point of view that seldom extends beyond the City they inhabit.
Romanticizing garbage makes for polished urinals costing 50,000.00 from an artist in Paris
Trannys WILL not have access to opposite sex bathrooms no matter HOW they dress THAT WAS BULLSH#T, BACK to anatomically correct bathrooms.
GAYS will still have their rights ,but I HIGHLY doubt the f#ckers will be successful suing businesses they choose to ambush for not serving them.
HISPANICs: Good ones stay, BAD ones booted or EXECUTED in the states that allow it
MUSLIMS: Targeting issue, Join with Russia THIN them out of the middle east DESTROY or coop Iran.
It would be done using Arab allies ,Russia ,and Iraq.BYE IRAN.

THESE are what I think HE would like to do .
I am QUITE confused at the deal with Russia without a confirmed deal to make such an offer but THAT is him.
Worse their political faction JUST was booted because they were FAR too ignorant to cover their corruption and committed the CARDINAL sin of getting caught.They are DONE for a while until they create relevance and credibility beyond the current scum WHO are STILL trying to dictate terms from the coasts .
THE RINOS in our way will be removed shortly OR no longer have successful political relevance.

edit on 21-1-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Oh how quickly you forget the Global Financial Crisis and its aftermath that Obama inherited.

But no one will forget the continued failure.

Obama failed to fix it.

Amen, he had 8 long years. So glad to see him gone and glad to say I am proud to have a president with some balls, Mr. Trump

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I was also going to mention how when Obama first took office, the first most imminent thing on his plate was trying to save the economy from complete collapse.

Regardless of what you think of Obama, he didn't make that mess. And it couldn't have been easy finding a way to (at least temporarily) re-stabilize the system

I'll give him that much. GHW Bush and good 'ol Bill are pretty much to blame for what he got handed to him. Not that dubya did all that much to make it better though I'm sure he pleased Halliburton and the rest of the MIC.

Trump is inheriting a *relatively stable* national economy. Job market? Not so much. While it is true that the "official" unemployment stats are far lower than when he took office far too many are entirely underemployed working menial labor jobs part for which they are far overqualified. Again I'll give BHO that it's definitely a lot better than 2008. The markets have recovered and stabilised but the middle class has not. 2008 should prove that we need to legislate and enforce a more coherent lending market. A prime example is Bill Clinton essentially forcing Fanny and Freddy into underwriting junk mortgages. Not long after the whole industry followed suit like a vampire smelling blood.

Not that GW did anything to curb this decadance. But, as always, it's always the rich that seem to win. It's ironic that I read so many posts about people complaining about welfare. And yes, it has become generational and institutionalized and is in great need of an overhaul. I have lived in "bad" inner city neighborhoods before and there are indeed people who are professional fraudsters. The root of that problem is a different story altogether. However what I don't get is how often times these same people aren't complaining about some of the ridiculous corporate welfare that is occurring in this country. Again the rich always seem to get richer and the poor get poorer. Regardless of the ruling party. Hell look at Trump's cabinet. I know I know. It's good because they're successful business people. Or are they successful predators? When was the last time that a billionaire actually gave to f***s about the working poor and middle-class? Not anytime in my life that I can remember. I'm sure POTUS will soon get memo(or maybe he has already) letting him know what his place is and who the real bosses are. I think they tried sending that same memo to JFK. Must have gotten lost in the mail. Damned lazy postal workers! We all know how that ended up. Especially after he started printing silver back currency and circumventing the fed.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I am a non-US citizen that does not support Obama and think he was a terrible President.

However, based solely on the statistics you have shared, he has done an amazing job at maintaining the US economy after a financial crisis that rocked the US and the rest of the world.

If the intention was to make Obama look bad, there are plenty of debt or war statistics you could have shared.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: jonnywhite

Agreed, Obama was terrible for the economy. He also was the worst for supreme court ruling against his admin. And he was dismal getting legislation done. He has been terrible on quite a few levels.

Regarding economy, I found this:
www.forbes.com - Obama's Dismal Economic Record Looks Even Worse When Compared To Reagan....

But take another look at this:
www.thebalance.com - U.S. GDP Growth by Year Compared to Business Cycle...

I've looked at it again and again and something about this time period is weird, starting in ~2007. The recovery is weak and stretched out. Look at the historical contractions and expansion, it seems unprecedented. The government responded, but weakly and prolonged.

This is why Trump won. I didn't vote for him though. I believe Trump's message was exactly on target with respect to economy. And I think his history in business and his BS in economics bolstered the feeling.

I also realize some of the blame might fall on the world economy. I equally understand why Trump is hated. I hated him too. I almost voted for Hillary just to oppose him, but declined at the last moment because of Comey. I don't particularly like him now, but he's POTUS. Unless he breaks a law, it's peaceful transition of power. But he's walking a thin line.
edit on 1/22/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Self serving obstructionists? That sounds like the behaviour of the Republican party for the last eight years to me.

As for what you believe about foreign policy, I am glad you bought that up...

If he does anything like that, then that would be tantamount to a genocide campaign, and no liberty loving individual would tolerate one single second of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join