It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst. President. Ever: Obama First President EVER to Not Reach 3% GDP Growth

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Obama has been president for 8 years.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Obama has been president for 8 years.

Yep and it has faield to do it under his watch. Wehther the blame should fall on him I don't konw, but it definitely is a fact. Annual GDP growht didn't hit 3% 2006 through 2015--and possibly through 2016. If 2016 also has failed then that will be 11 years of failure to hit 3% on an annual basis.

As for the average over Obama's time as president, I haven't looked. The article says he's 4th place for worst. Given the worst prior annual GDP growth streak--being below 3%--is only 4 years and hte rest being 3 or lower, I wouldn't be surprised. Btw that was the great depression. A dubious distinction fro both Bush and Obama to be tied to it. Even worse for Obama.

EDIT: Want to make clear when I write "annual GDP growth" I am referring to the annual average--of all 4 quarters. This doesn't mean GDP growth rate never hit and exceed 3% during the past 10-11 years. It did.
edit on 1/19/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Agreed, Obama was terrible for the economy. He also was the worst for supreme court ruling against his admin. And he was dismal getting legislation done. He has been terrible on quite a few levels.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Let's hope they all reject "blaming the predecessor" if and when Trump stuffs up and tries to blame it on Obama, or anyone else.

Oh? Have we just raised the bar for some reason?

Obama just pardoned and commuted more people than any other potus.

He's got that credit, tho.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I think that is false. Do you have a link to prove it?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Kryties

To be fair, Obama was handed a deep fried crap sandwich with no bread t the beginning.

BUUUUTTTTTT- he did all the wrong moves to get the economy moving, and his foot is broken from kicking the can down the road.

He also wanted the damn job when he knew how bad things were.

To be fair, I don't remember him saying he would fix things, just fundamentally transform America.

And shovel ready jobs that weren't so shovel ready.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

a reply to: ParasuvO

Obama was never properly vetted and his leader ship skills are under developed.

The guy was an academic! They have no leadership skills!

A minor/jr senator with an ideology of failed ideas and proven dubious connections.

Nothing real world at all.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I think that is false. Do you have a link to prove it?

Just today he pardoned a # load more which put him over the top.

330 I believe, today.

Obama Granted Clemency Unlike Any Other President In History

By Charlie Smart

Filed under Criminal Justice In one more end-of-presidency act of clemency aimed at prisoners serving long sentences for drug-related offenses, President Obama announced Thursday that he is commuting the sentences of 330 prisoners. He has granted clemency to more people than any president since Harry S. Truman, and Thursday’s announcement was typical of how Obama’s approach to clemency has differed from that of his predecessors: Obama’s clemency is almost always given by freeing people from prison with commuted sentences, not pardoning people after their release.

fivethirtyeight.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... 918c-99ede3c8cafa_story.html?utm_term=.4c6255b4ca49

Obama did not seriously focus on pardons and commutations until 2014, two years into his second term. But on Thursday, his last full day in office, Obama announced 330 more commutations, for nonviolent drug offenders, bringing his total number of clemencies to 1,715. He has granted commutations to more people than the past 12 presidents combined, including 568 inmates with life sentences. He has granted 212 pardons. His final group of clemencies was the most Obama granted in a day and the most granted on one day in U.S. history.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I know he has pardoned a lot of people that wasn't in question, but you claimed he pardoned more than any other potus and your own article says different.

Trueman, Rosevelt, and Wilson all were higher than him.

So you were wrong. It isn't a big deal just keep it honest.

edit on 20-1-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

NOW, watch how quickly we clean it up...

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

NOW, watch how quickly we clean it up...

I'll be awaiting this speedy cleanup with eager anticipation.

I will not hold my breathe though.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

NEVER do that...

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Thats a great way to take the worst economic destabilisation since the 1930s, and totally remove it from the contextual picture... well done!

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: seasonal

Oh how quickly you forget the Global Financial Crisis and its aftermath that Obama inherited.

HA!!!! It's Bush's fault! Still!!!! After 8 years!

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yes. Do you know what that is, network dude?

I suppose you think its a matter of political convenience, don't you. I am sure someone put that notion in your head, some talking head complaining about Obama brought it up, and because you have an issue with the man generally, you add the financial trouble the US is in to the pile, because it is easier than being intellectually honest.

You see, problems like those which were bought about in 2008, do not get solved over one or two administrations. They get solved over DECADES, not ten years, but decades, plural. There ARE no systems by which an economy can go from broken to fixed, even inside two terms of Presidency, which is why its incumbent upon any sitting President not to hijack the next one in the chain, by permitting the banks to kamikaze their way into collapse, or by any kind of deregulation of any kind.

Essentially, yes, the moment the collapse occurred, it DID mean that Obama would never have to answer for the economic status of the US at the end of his Presidency, because recovery to the best pre-crash numbers or even the beginnings of a notable recovery, were NEVER going to be something he would preside over, simply because these things take much, much longer than eight years to bring about, as any economist who knew their job would tell you.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Oh i'm sure they were all deserving, what no trust?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree that the 2008 problem won't be solved in a couple of years.

What I see is that there was/is no plan to even talk about the $20,000,000,000,000 in debt. What I saw was getting the credit card out and charging it. Future generations will curse the yolk of debt that is placed on them, so there is little pain now.

The whole world should stand up and take notice. This usually ends in a huge war, the US is the world's currency and are presently abusing that agreed upon system.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
TrueBrit, I know you already know this but you are wasting your breath. Even the OP seemingly wrote his headline without actually looking at the very chart he placed in his first post.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

The debt needed to be liquidated. Instead the US government put the american taxpayer on the hook, instead the Federal Reserve found a bunch of exotic ways to print more money(operation twist, QE1, 2, 3), in order to keep investment yields up. Instead the federal reserve kept interest rates around 0%.

Fed Interest rates just got turned up to a high .75%. That is the only proof needed to show there was no recovery.
It may not be all Obama's fault, but it has not been a good run.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Worst. President. Ever: Obama First President EVER to Not Reach 3% GDP Growth

YES WE CAN!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join