It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moth named after Donald Trump for uncanny resemblance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So, I don't really know what to think of this. They've name a moth after Donald Trump....

What has a scaly-looking head of gold? Well, Donald Trump, of course... but also this moth.

The Neopalpa donaldtrumpi, a new species of tiny moth, has been named after the president-elect due to the striking physical resemblance between the moth's yellow and white scales and Trump's hair.

Just throwing this out there, I don't have much of an opinion on this because quite frankly I'm tired of "news"

PS - not sure if this holds much merit.

feel free to move to correct forum.

Source

Edit - fairly certain this is fake, my apologies.
edit on 19-1-2017 by slapjacks because: sheep

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If it is fake, then they have suckered the BBC, as this was mentioned on one of their radio shows this afternoon.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I saw the movie mothman

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
If it is fake, then they have suckered the BBC, as this was mentioned on one of their radio shows this afternoon.

The world, *cough cough US* is indeed a strange place.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Have you guys seen the trump hair caterpillar? Look it up. If you want uncanny resemblance that's 100% legit, there you go. It's even shaped right.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Obviously a terrible job at photoshop.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Why are you sure this is fake?

Eureka Alert - New species of moth named in honor of Donald Trump ahead of his swearing-in as president

ZooKeys

The monotypic genus Neopalpa was described in 1998 by Czech entomologist Dalibor Povolný based on two male specimens from Santa Catalina Island, California, which he named N. neonata. The female of this species was discovered recently based on a DNA barcode match and is described. In addition, a new species with marked differences in morphology and DNA barcodes from southern California and Baja California Mexico is described as Neopalpa donaldtrumpi sp. n. Adults and genitalia of both species are illustrated, new diagnosis for the genus Neopalpa is provided, and its position within Gelechiidae is briefly discussed.

Live Science - Small Honor: Tiny Moth Named for Trump
Bloomberg - A Researcher Turned This Moth Into a Trump
BBC - Moth with 'golden flake hairstyle' named after Donald Trump
NBC News - Tiny Moth Named for President-Elect Donald Trump
Telegraph - Meet 'Neopalpa donaldtrumpi' - the threatened moth named after Donald Trump
(and a lot more)

And if you search "Vazrick Nazari" he seems legit.
edit on 2017-1-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Time to name a new leech after Obama.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm not %100 sure it's fake, it's just odd. Then again nothing really surprises me these days

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

There are nine organisms named after President Obama, including three fish, a trapdoor spider, a hair worm, a fluke, an extinct lizard, a bird and a lichen (which is actually a composite organism).

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

If its consolation for you, a parasitic flatworm was named after him

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Damn, Wikipedia is fast.

Neopalpa Donaldtrumpi

The genus Neopalpa including the species Neopalpa neonata was first described in 1998 by Dalibor Povolný. Almost two decades later Vazrick Nazari reviewed the material including various specimens that had been collected since the first description of the genus and discovered that some of the specimens actually formed a separate new species, which he called Neopalpa donaldtrumpi due to the yellowish-white color of the top of its head, which reminded him of Donald Trump's hair. He also hoped that the name might provide more publicity to often underappreciated small and rare creatures.[2][1]

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: IAMTAT

If its consolation for you, a parasitic flatworm was named after him

en.wikipedia.org...

This naming was not to convey that Barack Obama was parasitic, but instead was to honor Mr. Obama due to Platt's respect for the parasites' resilience through tough odds.

Thank goodness they cleared that up.

top topics

join