It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More information on comparing the YF-22 and the YF-23

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This a fairly lengthy video that clarifies 'some' of the points between the two aircraft.

One point that seems debunked is that the YF-23 was faster. These guys say neither was tested out to max speed.

Another is I've heard the YF-22 was slightly more maneuverable and had attributed it to TV. Yet these guys say they were about equal. Another interesting point is the length of time these concepts took to develop. As early as 1971! Before the F-16 and F-18 had even flown!

That the technical envelop was pushed well beyond any previous platforms and as Zaphod has pointed out, more and more was demanded by the AF as time went on.

My take, not that it means much, is it was a win/win scenario. Either or both wouldn't have been a 'mistake'.

My only concern would be that a similar long runway develops for the 6th Gen especially if there are separate platforms developed for both the AF and navy. Of course two platforms may the way they 'admit' they should have went with both somehow. Who knows?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I just finished the hour-long presentation. It was extremely interesting, a lot of details of the whole process from start to finish. Two guys talking their airplane. You can't get any better than that. Thanks for bringing it to us.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
That´s really a little gem. There´s missing footage in this video but it points you to this one, for anyone to lazy to search.
Video from OP

Some additional in-flight footage that is missing in the above video:

edit on 19-1-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Watching it now, never heard of the Horten 229.

Instantly reminded me of the original "skipping saucers" UFO sighting, the famous one.

Off to watch the rest now, cheers

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Great find. Most information I ever heard in a sitting about that beautiful aircraft.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
People always go on about the 229 but it wasnt the only flying wing design done by Germany.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

It also wasn't the only flying wing developed at the time. There were multiple nations developing their own, and all were pretty close to the same place at the same time.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Blackfinger

It also wasn't the only flying wing developed at the time. There were multiple nations developing their own, and all were pretty close to the same place at the same time.

That is an interesting statement. I can't think of any other flying wings anywhere near what the Horton aircraft was. I know Northrop had some experimental craft at the same time - but nothing ready for actual deployment and nothing with jet engines.

What do you know?

:-)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I think he means more on the design level. Blueprints, diagrams and that type of thing. Remember back then they would go from paper to rivets real quick. So something on paper wasn't far behind something in initial production.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Flying Wings
edit on 1/20/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I suspect that was the reason they picked the 229 as the example of '0' level stealth.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Oh wow Ive pipped Zaph

Dr.Ir. Hermann Koehl and Ernst von Loessl and yes it flew.
Single seat flying wing

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

edit on 22-1-2017 by Blackfinger because: bad date

top topics

join