It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen Al Franken destroys Betsy Devos on key education issues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Riffrafter

Sparky eh...

She shouldn't have been nominated in the first place. She's only here because of Pay To Play. Trump has been giving all of his biggest donors positions because of Pay To Play. Hypocrisy and Trump go together like PB & J. Trump supporters are nothing more than sheep.

Sheep? Like Clinton supporters then? OK, got it.

Got a mirror there? Baaa Baaaa......

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Man, you said a mouth full. Start home schooling as soon as feasible. You will be most glad you did. In the area where I live, people are bailing out on the public schools at an increasing pace. And, there's talk of changing the way the public schools are funded, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because middle and upper income people are no longer supportive of the public schools.

What we are seeing is the sprouting of local home school networks which people join to share their resources. Hopefully you can find something like that to join for you and your kid. Do it now while you still can because I suspect that following Trump, the Leftist backlash will be extremely harsh where rights are concerned. This four years are the time to prepare for that backlash.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Spent all morning making phone calls to reps. Congressmen, Btate Senators .... Bob Casey Democrat.

Once DeVos was clueless on special needs student. Im trying to get that blocked.
Like right now.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If there's a surprise Cylon attack, she could become our next President.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: angeldoll

Looks like she might actually be able to make some progress on the inner city school system problems.

How so? Warren repeatedly asked her to commit to Not cutting the public education budget, and it seems that's what she's after, so she danced around the question until Warren said she take it as a "no".

I agree it frivolous to throw money at something that isn't working, but how do you think she will help inner-city schools?
Budget cuts may mean fewer teachers.

I think she will do wonders for the inner city school systems.

You will be surprised.

So... Care to elaborate? I mean you obviously have "occult knowledge" on this subject (i.e. hidden). Please explain how she will "do wonders" for the "inner city school systems." I don't like unqualified people saying they will "surprise" me with how awesome they are when they get the job...

Yeah. There's a lot of that going on in this election and in these cabinet choices - not all of them, but those that are competent are also quite conflicted in the ethics department. My opinion of course...

- AB

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Spent all morning making phone calls to reps. Congressmen, Btate Senators .... Bob Casey Democrat.

Once DeVos was clueless on special needs student. Im trying to get that blocked.
Like right now.

Thank you. This is a huge deal for me personally. I appreciate your work.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Jaellma

She will be the best Ed Sec in history !!

All she has to do is look at Arne Duncan's accomplishments.

Okay, cool guy. You are doing nothing but trolling now and you know it. C"mon. You're better than this.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Okay, cool guy. You are doing nothing but trolling now and you know it. C"mon. You're better than this.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan's legacy as Chicago schools chief questioned

Maybe DeVos takes a closer look and "learns" from mistakes made by other highly educated and qualified people.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

And then -- this was solid gold! -- Sen Franken went on to whine about the senate rules that he didn't know about after how many years in the senate? (That would be since 2009 -- going on eight years). The same rules that had been applied in every confirmation hearing under Obama -- in other words, the same rules as during Franken's entire tenure in the senate!!! (Pot meet kettle -- hahaha!)

Me thinks Senator Franken only embarrassed himself.

Aside from the other things you mentioned which were completely valid and good points, I will underscore and add to this.

How many realize that the both of Obama's Ed Secs, questioned with the same rules, had hearings of between 2 and 2 and a half hours each, but DeVos sat through between 3 and 3 and a half hours. So it's not like there wasn't more access to question her.

Also, almost all the Senators on that committee who wear a (D) are also deeply in the pocket of the teachers' unions, so of course they have no interest in making DeVos look good and they aren't going to be her friend. Allowing kids to escape the public schools is a threat to the unions' control of all students and the money that comes with them, additionally, it's a threat to the money those unions donate to Democrats.

You let parents choose where their kids can go and fewer kids go to the public schools ... well that's less money going through the unions to the Democrat party.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Do you even have kids? That's not how school choice works at all.

Maybe you should do a little research before you speak.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I have one.

The idea is that parents who live in school districts with poor performing schools can apply to have the money that would be spent to have their child attend that crap school follow that child to another school -- public, private, or charter -- that is performing well. The parent can make that choice.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And how did that work in Detroit? Terribly.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

How does anything work in Detroit? Terribly.

There isn't anything in Detroit that does work at present.

But do you know where it was working? DC, but Obama killed it despite the begging of the children who stood to lose their educations.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I'm just trying to figure out how this model in any way benefits inner city school children. Sure, in theory, it sounds good. Kid from a bad school can instead go to a good school. Cool. But how does a kid from the inner city get to a school in the burbs? Do you expect them to pay bus fare everyday? And if kids start leaving these already underfunded schools what happens to the kids that have no choice but to stay? If there are fewer kids they're going to receive less funding. Thus turning a crappy school into an even crappier school.

Then of course there's the teacher side of things. If all the kids are now going to the good schools isn't that going to lead to massive overcrowding? The student to teacher ratio is already way out of ideal proportions. Wouldn't this just make things worse? And what happens to all those teachers at schools that are forced to close? Are they just out of a job?

Seriously. No part of this makes sense to me. It seems like, as with a lot of things Trump has proposed, that it benefits those who already have money while screwing the poor.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

You're welcome. It's personal to me too.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Education Secretary Arne Duncan's legacy as Chicago schools chief questioned

Maybe DeVos takes a closer look and "learns" from mistakes made by other highly educated and qualified people.

Thank you for the coherent response.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

I'm just trying to figure out how this model in any way benefits inner city school children. Sure, in theory, it sounds good. Kid from a bad school can instead go to a good school. Cool. But how does a kid from the inner city get to a school in the burbs? Do you expect them to pay bus fare everyday? And if kids start leaving these already underfunded schools what happens to the kids that have no choice but to stay? If there are fewer kids they're going to receive less funding. Thus turning a crappy school into an even crappier school.

Then of course there's the teacher side of things. If all the kids are now going to the good schools isn't that going to lead to massive overcrowding? The student to teacher ratio is already way out of ideal proportions. Wouldn't this just make things worse? And what happens to all those teachers at schools that are forced to close? Are they just out of a job?

Seriously. No part of this makes sense to me. It seems like, as with a lot of things Trump has proposed, that it benefits those who already have money while screwing the poor.

School choice also creates competition which forces schools to improve or close. Right now, the customer (students & parents) have little say in their school. When you inject choice into the market, if a school isn't meeting the needs, the parents will send them elsewhere. it is like any other business market where a company has to cater to their customers needs or face going out of business.

School choice won't save every student. However, it will give those who have the desire to better themselves the opportunity to do so.

Here in Chicago, we have many catholic schools that far out perform most of the public schools at half the cost. A school voucher might allow a poor student to attend one of these schools.

IMHO, the biggest problem with our school system is that we have this notion that we can educate everyone. We can't and it is a waste of money and resources to try. Schools often teach to the lowest common denominator. In many areas, that common denominator is extremely low. As a result, we bring down the entire school trying to "educate" a small number of trouble making students when it would be better to just kick them out.

edit on 19-1-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It must suck to HIM....AL FRANKEN...

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Unless your name is Betsy DeVos.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join