It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen Al Franken destroys Betsy Devos on key education issues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

While she looked like a deer in headlights , those individuals up there questioning her with their wisdom of how the system works and should work while busy debating the issues, have not done squat to fix the system.

While I don't think she appears to be the right person for the job , she certainly could only raise the bar from they left it on the floor.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I too think she is the wrong person for this position. But, this is the purpose of these confirmation hearings, right? To find out if a particular person that is recommended for the position will actually have experience and be able to fulfill the requirements of that position. In this case, I do not see a good match.

I think she should be rejected and another appointee recommended.

You'd think that, but they won't be rejecting her. The Republicans in Congress have been doing everything in their power to push these confirmations through as quickly as possible. Some have even gotten confirmation hearings before being fully vetted by the ethics committee (a sharp departure from Obama's cabinet confirmation hearings where Republicans demanded ethics to be done with them first).

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like she might actually be able to make some progress on the inner city school system problems.

How so? Warren repeatedly asked her to commit to Not cutting the public education budget, and it seems that's what she's after, so she danced around the question until Warren said she take it as a "no".

I agree it frivolous to throw money at something that isn't working, but how do you think she will help inner-city schools?
Budget cuts may mean fewer teachers.

I think she will do wonders for the inner city school systems.

You will be surprised.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You are SOOO naive if you think someone can't put the system in a worse position than it is now.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why don't we just look at Detroit, a city that has "benefited" from her philosophy. What do you know? They're some of the worst schools in the country. So explain how she is going to help inner city schools.

Betsy DeVos and the twilight of public education

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

How were people educated PRIOR to the creation of the Department of Education? Were people just uneducated prior to 1979?

Seems to me that our education system was operating just fine without the DOE and the DOE can't show any significant improvement since its creation. As such, your argument makes no sense as she could literally shut the entire department down and we would not be any worse off.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Krazysh0t

How were people educated PRIOR to the creation of the Department of Education? Were people just uneducated prior to 1979?

Seems to me that our education system was operating just fine without the DOE and the DOE can't show any significant improvement since its creation. As such, your argument makes no sense as she could literally shut the entire department down and we would not be any worse off.

I agree. I guess all those people that figured out how to put a man on the moon were just lucky and self-educated. If that is the case, then perhaps going back to THAT approach would be better?

SMH

edit on 1/19/2017 by Krakatoa because: clarified my post

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You are SOOO naive if you think someone can't put the system in a worse position than it is now.

You are SOOO naive if you missed the point and took that literary .

They haven't set the world on fire with their Wisdom of how the system works and suppose to work. You also missed the part where I said I didn't think she appeared to be a good candidate for the job. However, its not like they raised the bar any and made it impossible for anyone else to do better including an outsider.

Despite not being qualified she likely could do better than what they have done since the bar has been set so low.

edit on 54131America/ChicagoThu, 19 Jan 2017 11:54:14 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

This is dumb reasoning because our education standards have been improving since the DOE was created. Clearly we are better off education wise post-DOE then pre-DOE. Things aren't perfect across the country (especially in math and science). And education levels are constant across the board, but thanks to the DOE our country has achieved levels of literacy that are unprecedented in literally all of human history. Professionals have to constantly move the IQ medium further and further up to adjust for the country's rising intelligence.

This narrative that our children are worse off under the DOE is just ludicrous. Did you forget that as little as 100 years ago, the world illiteracy rate was near 90%

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

This is what you said first:

While I don't think she appears to be the right person for the job , she certainly could only raise the bar from they left it on the floor.

which is different than what you just said:

Despite not being qualified she likely could do better than what they have done since the bar has been set so low.

But you lecture me on not reading your posts. Just fyi, those two phrases I bolded mean two different things.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

So how has the current Ed Sec helped anywhere ?

What successful polices and regulations have helped the inner city systems ?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
While I don't agree with all of Trump's picks this is the only one that I feel should be 100% not confirmed. During this hearing she clearly demonstrated that she has no idea what she's talking and that even she thinks her ideas are idiotic. Just look at the way she tried to avoid Kaine's questions. Michigan's schools suffered under her and the rest of the country will follow if she is confirmed.

She is being put there for one reason. To cut the education budget as much as she can, and start the country on the road to privatized education. Which is fine. If you're rich.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Looks like she might actually be able to make some progress on the inner city school system problems.

How so? Warren repeatedly asked her to commit to Not cutting the public education budget, and it seems that's what she's after, so she danced around the question until Warren said she take it as a "no".

I agree it frivolous to throw money at something that isn't working, but how do you think she will help inner-city schools?
Budget cuts may mean fewer teachers.

I think she will do wonders for the inner city school systems.

You will be surprised.

She would do wonders for the inner city school systems?
Has she ever set foot in any of Detroit's inner city schools?

This woman has lived a charmed life ever since she married her Amway husband, Rich Devos. These folks live a cult-like life, with a belief system that is as warped as her ideology as it pertains to education and its core values. She has no sense of how to start fixing these problems.

In addition, she has ZERO expertise in managing higher education, no knowledge of Pell Grants or educational loans. She also has never had to use financial aid for herself or any of her children or family members. No working knowledge of anything to do for this highly important position she is going on for.

I say we must do better than what is being offered to us in Mrs. Devos. Her qualifications and knowledge are unacceptable to the American people.

Sen Warren rips her a new one...

edit on 19-1-2017 by Jaellma because: vid number

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is dumb reasoning because our education standards have been improving since the DOE was created. Clearly we are better off education wise post-DOE then pre-DOE. Things aren't perfect across the country (especially in math and science). And education levels are constant across the board, but thanks to the DOE our country has achieved levels of literacy that are unprecedented in literally all of human history. Professionals have to constantly move the IQ medium further and further up to adjust for the country's rising intelligence.

This narrative that our children are worse off under the DOE is just ludicrous. Did you forget that as little as 100 years ago, the world illiteracy rate was near 90%

It is not clear we are better off education wise post DOE. Just as it isn't clear we are better off poverty wise post LBJ war on poverty. What hard data do you have to substantiate your position?

Again, were we not educating people in high numbers PRIOR to the DOE in 1979? I am black. Both my parents were well educated and they were born in 1945 and raised in primarily poor black neighborhoods. Somehow they learned to read, write, and arithmetic some 30 years before the creation of the DOE.

Did you know that the black literacy rate in 1850 was just 20%. By 1890 it was 80%. So again... tell me how all these poor black folks got educated 90 years on their own prior to the DOE.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
She does not care about inner city kids. What did people think would happen in cities that have suffered job losses and budget cuts. She is not there to save public education but to put the final nail in the coffin. A long held promise to evangelicals so tax payers money can be diverted to separate private schools.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Are you assuming I'm an idiot or something? Is that why you are asking such idiotic questions like I'd believe that education was non-existent pre-DOE or something? For one, where is YOUR data saying that DOE has made kids worse off than pre-DOE education levels (since you are keen on demanding data from me)?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

She will be the best Ed Sec in history !!

All she has to do is look at Arne Duncan's accomplishments.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Public education in the USA is so broken. The rest of the world outpaces us at every level and for less money. Inner city schools more closely resemble a prison/daycare than a learning institution.

The US is third in education behind the UK and Canada. Cal Tech and MIT are in the top 3 universities in the world and kids use iPads in many schools to educate themselves. Many many areas are very well funded. I went to great schools as a kid. I think a lot of people here did. The inner cities are bad, but America is not defined by the worst of our components.

Some education might be required on this. US is not in the top 3 on education from any studies. How could we be when we graduate kids on inner cities who can't even READ.

14th I think on this one
www.theguardian.com...

7th
worldtop20.org...

10th
www.bbc.com...

And that doesn't even take into consideration the cost per student to achieve these results.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

She's not at all qualified for the position. She only got the job because of Pay To Play. You know, the very same thing Trump and his supporters would accuse Clinton of. Conservative hypocrisy strikes again and again. Corruption is totally okay as long as it's their team doing it.

They make me sick.

Whoa, hold on there Sparky.

She hasn't gotten the job yet.

She's just been nominated.

That's the whole point for the confirmation hearings.

N'est pas?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Sparky eh...

She shouldn't have been nominated in the first place. She's only here because of Pay To Play. Trump has been giving all of his biggest donors positions because of Pay To Play. Hypocrisy and Trump go together like PB & J. Trump supporters are nothing more than sheep.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join