It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASSANGE BLINKS: Wikileaks founder retreats from extradition pledge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
ASSANGE BLINKS: Wikileaks founder retreats from extradition pledge

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange retreated Wednesday from his pledge to accept extradition to the U.S. if Chelsea Manning was granted clemency, arguing via his lawyers that what he was really asking for was an immediate pardon for the ex-Army analyst.

Last week, WikiLeaks posted on Twitter that if President Obama granted Chelsea Manning clemency, its founder, Assange would agree to be extradited to the U.S.

"If Obama grants Manning clemency Assange will agree to US extradition despite clear unconstitutionality of DoJ case," WikiLeaks said, apparently referring to the U.S. Department of Justice's continuing investigation into the radical transparency website.

But when Obama granted clemency to Manning on Tuesday, setting a May release date that lops almost 30 years off her sentence, Assange's lawyers said it wasn't enough.

Click link for article...

Not that anyone did not see this coming. Apparently he is moving the goal post to back out of his offer. As someone else noted I think this damages his credibility. Apparently one of his lawyers still maintains he will follow through. Someone missed a memo somewhere.

thoughts?
edit on 19-1-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I wouldn't make any deal with Obama.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Stall and make sure Trump actually takes office.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

a reply to: Rosinitiate

There was no deal with Obama. This was all Assanges doing.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with changing your mind if you are not sure of the situation
I recon he has had some advice from trusted people
Wise, it's not a game

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

i saw this coming - it was painfully obvious

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: Trueman

a reply to: Rosinitiate

There was no deal with Obama. This was all Assanges doing.

I mean while Obama still in charge. He just need to wait for Trump.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

i would not make any deals with mr assange

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Much depends on the wording of the original pledge.
Others have argued that he specified "pardon", and a commutation of sentence is not a pardon.
My own theory was that he could have afforded to keep silent and bluff it out for a while longer, knowing that a formal extradition request could not be processed in the short time remaining before Trump came to power. Would Trump have been so keen to throw the book at him?

Something similar happened a few decades back in South Africa. The white South African President of the time (Botha?) pledged himself to release a prisoner (Mandela?) if the Russians released one of their own dissidents (Sakharov?). A couple of years later, that Russian dissident was released, but the pledge was not redeemed.
I'm quoting this from memory, of course. I would have to do some research to fill in the names in the story.

edit on 19-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I never thought he meant it. They called his bluff and now they can use this to discredit him and the work wikileaks does

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Once a lying running coward always a lying running coward. Anyone that thought he would actually go through with this is a fool.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

My own opinion is Assange was trying to find out if there are any charges pending against him in the US. Currently there are no charges pending. He can fly to Washington DC and if there are no charges he wont be arrested.

I also wonder if he is trying to undermine the recent updates with the Swedish case against him, where charges were filed and are pending.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Who in their right mind would turn themselves in (in a swap situation) when they "hostage was still in custody?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but he still has until May when Manning walks free to turn himself in.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
How would he get to the airport without being arrested on the Swedish warrant?
Perhaps the best practical way of evading the Swedish warrant would be to get himself taken out of the country on another warrant which would take priority. Conspiracy theory offered; "It is agreed between Trump and Assange that Trump will extradite him to the United States on a charge which will then fail, so that he can be released and live there in freedom".

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I believe we have an extradition treaty with Sweden, why wouldn't we extradite him there?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder
OK, maybe that one doesn't work. Just a fanciful thought.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

If and when the UK government finally enact Clause 50 and leave the EU, perhaps he can have another go in the UK courts. As the EU extradition treaty will no longer be binding.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon
Is the extradition treaty dependent on EU membership, or was it direct between the two countries? I don't know the answer on that one.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

The US has individual treaties with countries.

List of extradition treaties of the USA

UK extradition:

Parts 1 and 2 deal with "category 1" and "category 2" territories respectively. While it is not mentioned in the Act, category 1 territories are all other member states of the European Union and Part 1 of the Act is the United Kingdom's implementation of the European Arrest Warrant framework decision.

Part 2 of the Act is concerned with extradition to all other countries which have an extradition treaty with the United Kingdom.

Part 3 deals with issuing European Arrest Warrants from the UK and extradition requests.

Part 4 regulates powers of arrest, search and seizure regarding individuals subject to European Arrest Warrants and extradition warrants. Part 5 contains miscellaneous provisions including extradition to and from British overseas territories.

Link Im not sure how that would work after Brexit. It may not affect it at all though.
edit on 19-1-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Nothing wrong with changing your mind if you are not sure of the situation
I recon he has had some advice from trusted people
Wise, it's not a game

He might have asked for that advise before offering the trade...maybe lol.

Now he just looks like he is full of beep...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join