It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pit Bull

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So, I got a pit bull puppy. I've wanted one forever. She is white with blue eyes and some blue markings. She is not deaf but I don't know if she has or does not have the seizures that can be associated with that trait. I wanted one because I like the way that they look (full disclosure, blue eyes and all is what I wanted ) and I live, work and recreate in the woods and just about every large north American predator lives out here and while I think my chances of an altercation with one are slim, I hope the dog may give them something to think about if said predators and I should happen to run afoul of each other. Also, while most pit bulls aren't particularly aggressive toward people, they look scary and have enough of a reputation to make plenty think twice. I'm home alone, in an isolated area, and we have some violent characters that live up in these hills; someone got shot last week. It's a little wild west out here.

Both parents were on site and while they were calm and sociable, it was a rough neighborhood to be sure and he was more than willing to let those puppies go at seven weeks after their first shots. While I doubt this guy fought these dogs, I honestly can't say that I know that with 100% certainty. I don't know that he was that discriminatory about the genetics and I also doubt that my girl is very far removed generationally from fighting dogs. She was at a good weight but smeared with blood because a litter mate had clamped onto mom too hard and she had quite a few bite marks from litter mates on her muzzle. Most pit bulls come from situations like this as a good case scenario and it just gets worse from there.

I guess I'm posting this because I see people talk about what teddy bears these dogs are, and that you just need to "raise 'em right", and while it's true that these can be very loving and empathetic dogs, I think it's foolish to underestimate the genetics. My sweet, beautiful puppy that licks all faces and follows me around like a limpet on my legs and is napping with her nose on my toes as I type this was bred to brawl and she will be about 70 pounds of pure muscle when grown. I have a responsibility to make sure this dog is properly socialized and knows her boundaries and I will not pretend that she is something that she's not. The potential will always be there with her and I'm sorry, it's there with most pit bulls.

I'm not surprised those dogs attacked those kids in Georgia, and I'm not surprised by the statistics. While the social factors like dog fighting and bad owners are a huge factor, these dogs do have an inherent, bred-in capacity for violence that should never be minimized or ignored. I'm sure plenty will nail me for contributing to irresponsible breeding by buying the dog, which is fair enough I suppose, and contributing to irresponsible ownership because I got such a dog at all, or because I didn't get one for the "right" reasons, like a rescue, which is fair enough too; but the breed has it's own significance and value and this polarized perspective only contributes to the accidents and attacks that do happen. I will do everything that I can to try to make sure that my dog is not part of those statistics but I will acknowledge the potential and that I take a risk by choosing this breed; to do otherwise is courting disaster even more.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

To many, that is a risky deal you have struck with yourself. Some would call it foolhardy, and I would be one such, having been a mail carrier and with an experience or two with them. Have some very good insurance or no substantial property that you can't afford to lose.

I take it that your dog will be free to roam. Some counties that is illegal. Others property owners in the area may have no qualms in shooting the dog if it ever gets close to them or their property.

The murder yesterday of a young boy and the injury of the young girl has caused a murder charge to put against the owner.

Pit bulls cause more human fatalities than all other dog breeds combined. Ownership of such an animal then carries a heavy moral responsibility.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

To many, that is a risky deal you have struck with yourself. Some would call it foolhardy, and I would be one such, having been a mail carrier and with an experience or two with them. Have some very good insurance or no substantial property that you can't afford to lose.

I take it that your dog will be free to roam. Some counties that is illegal. Others property owners in the area may have no qualms in shooting the dog if it ever gets close to them or their property.

The murder yesterday of a young boy and the injury of the young girl has caused a murder charge to put against the owner.

My dog will absolutely NOT be free to roam, quite the opposite. I'm not sure why you would think that from what I've said.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Here are mine, The female is a Blue nose razors edge. Her father was a fighting dog kept in a cage and fed live chickens and rabbits. She is a sweetheart and is wrapped around me in the chair right now.

The male was rescued from a drug house. Both his parents were shot in front of him during a police raid and he ran out of the house as a lil pup. He is very gentle with children, but doesn't like cats. I think he is Staffordshire terrier

edit on 18-1-2017 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I wanted one because I like the way that they look (full disclosure, blue eyes and all is what I wanted ) and I live, work and recreate in the woods and just about every large north American predator lives out here and while I think my chances of an altercation with one are slim, I hope the dog may give them something to think about if said predators and I should happen to run afoul of each other.

I am expecting your puppy will turn out to be a fearless and loyal companion, best of luck!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

They are beautiful and they look so happy. Thank you for posting. All my pics are on my phone and I'm being lazy. I'll try to get it sorted tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm happy you understand the risks of buying from a backyard breeder. I do not agree with the choice, and really hope you choose to spay her. I hate seeing/hearing the plight of such a once regarded wonderful breed. Now they are portrayed as monsters due largely to dog fighting, bad breeding, etc. and rampant support of Breed Specific Legislation fueled by the media. The issue with them is probably not going to go away anytime soon considering it seems to come with the cartel drug culture of the modern era.

She sounds beautiful, hope to see pics.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

I wanted one because I like the way that they look (full disclosure, blue eyes and all is what I wanted ) and I live, work and recreate in the woods and just about every large north American predator lives out here and while I think my chances of an altercation with one are slim, I hope the dog may give them something to think about if said predators and I should happen to run afoul of each other.

I am expecting your puppy will turn out to be a fearless and loyal companion, best of luck!

Thank you so much. I am very happy with her and she is quite brave (so far).

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I understand your stance. She absolutely will be spayed, her genetics are too risky.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse I spayed my female, but had some regrets after I got the male. They are very much in love, and I think they would have made great parents. It does kind of mess them up to have babies though, big titties hanging down etc

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Best dog I ever had.
Loved playing with children.
Very gentle and a good gaurdian.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My pits got me to go from a hater to a lover of the breed.
Overall the bad owners are the reason for most bad dog situations..irresponsible, not in control, didn't establish boundries, etc. A pittbull dog has to be on top of the dogs handling and always know its potential.
With that said, they are such a loving and happy dog in the right hands. socialize and expose them to many situations so they know how to handle it by your command.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My pits got me to go from a hater to a lover of the breed.
Overall the bad owners are the reason for most bad dog situations..irresponsible, not in control, didn't establish boundries, etc. A pittbull dog has to be on top of the dogs handling and always know its potential.
With that said, they are such a loving and happy dog in the right hands. socialize and expose them to many situations so they know how to handle it by your command.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I love dogs , chongo is my dogs name. Not all pits are bad just like every other dog The problem with pits is the mean ones are ridiculously mean and dangerous.

Its the only breed that scares me.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Those are Staffords probably. I prefer them to Pit bulls. My The Best Dog was cross of Stafford mother and German shepherd father. Incredible clever, body build like shepherd but with many terrier traits: He was jumping 2m high, able to hang on trunk for few minutes. I could walk him through unknown city center without leash. Never harmed even mouse. While strong, fast and clever he lost every dog fight because of his hippie world view ...

One of my current dogs (I moved to country) is hunter/killer by design. It took me one month and one animal to socialize him with goats. With hens or ducks its impossible. He looks like and behaves like fox.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Im gonna be honest, you got a dog cause you are afraid, I consider and my opinion it's very rarely the dog at fault it's the owner that is usually s#

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
My pit Willow (see my avatar!) is the sweetest animal I have ever had. When we go to the dog park, she plays with all dogs and makes sure to visit all the people, too. I worried when we got her as a pup, thinking she would grow up to be mean. We have a small dog and a cat, and a bird. Full disclosure – she did try to eat the bird once (his tail feathers grew back.)

I will not ever let my guard down, though. Too many stories out there about pits just going nuts. Recently, a couple tried to put a sweater on their dog and it tried to kill them!

After getting Willow, I don't want any other breed though. Love her.

Treat your new pup well - lots of love and exercise will do the trick. And, make sure she knows that you are the boss. Because she will definitely try to take the job!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
I'm happy you understand the risks of buying from a backyard breeder. I do not agree with the choice, and really hope you choose to spay her. I hate seeing/hearing the plight of such a once regarded wonderful breed. Now they are portrayed as monsters due largely to dog fighting, bad breeding, etc. and rampant support of Breed Specific Legislation fueled by the media. The issue with them is probably not going to go away anytime soon considering it seems to come with the cartel drug culture of the modern era.

She sounds beautiful, hope to see pics.

While many are advocates of this and the other "bull terrier" breeds, I am not. I have had too many run-ins with irresponsibly owned "pitties." My dogs have been charged by one (who dragged his owner 50 feet to get to us before I grabbed him and held him securely -with my dogs standing a few feet away in safety,) my female would have been attacked by another neighbor's dog, had I not tackled the offender and broke my hand in the process. Other neighbors let their pit bull play unleashed in the common area...and it has run away repeatedly to confront other dogs including mine. There are 3 other pit bulls in our area, there were 6 but two of them killed another dog and the other was seized from it's owner. By the way, I live in a very nice condo complex...not a rundown neighborhood. Most of these owners just have no idea how to be responsible owners of a powerful dog like the pit bull. (I also have a friend that shows and breeds AmStaffs...she had an incident in which one of the dogs escaped it's crate and let all the others out...a melee ensued afterwards and at the end when my friend came home she had 1 living dog left out of 7 when she left the house. That's why I am not a fan of pit bull types of dogs; the possiblity of an incident happening is quite likely. Even in the homes of responsible owners.

I'm glad that you have your dog and that you are aware of the issues. Just be sure to use positive reinforcement training and get that doggo socialized with other dogs of all sizes, shapes and temperments. I would suggest adding some extra-curricular training (scent tracking, obedience, fly-ball) to get rid of that excess energy that these dogs have. Remember that a tired dog is a good dog.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The family tree consists of bull mastiffs,labs and hunting dogs.

bull mastiffs were used by cattle farmers. they bred them with hunting dogs and that's what shrunk them down a little so that you get the lab and pit bull.

There is a little more the family tree then that but that's the jist of it.

Otherwise let's trace everything back to wolves and foxes.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm trying with pics guys, I really am, but my computer is not talking to my phone for some reason. Working on it, but it may have to wait till my tech support (hubby) comes home from work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join