It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan will not free doctor who helped U.S. find bin Laden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Another one of our trusted allies showing its' true colors... However on the other hand I would guess if the Doctor were to be released he would not be able to take to many steps away from the prison without suffering a life ending event.

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A jailed Pakistani doctor believed to have helped the CIA hunt down al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden will be neither released nor handed to the United States, Pakistan's law minister has told legislators, media reported on Wednesday.

In 2012, Afridi was sentenced to 33 years in prison after being convicted of being a member of militant group Lashkar-e-Islam.

That conviction was overturned in 2013, but Afridi was then charged with murder, relating to the death of a patient eight years earlier. He remains in jail awaiting trial.

Many Pakistanis were infuriated by the U.S. raid to grab bin Laden in the military garrison town of Abbottabad, just a two-hour drive from Islamabad, the capital.

Pakistani officials describe bin Laden's long presence in Abbottabad as a security lapse and reject any suggestion that members of the military or intelligence services were complicit in hiding him

Sure, no question.. Your honesty is above reproach
newsletter.thaivisa.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
LMAO!!!

Well considering Osama was probably never there and this guy didn't help anyone find anyone I don't doubt for a minute that he will never see the light of day. He is probably dead already. Risk this guy ending up on TV? I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That is an embarrassment to the US.

The guy basically gave up his life to help us get Bin Laden.

And we turned our back on him.

Who was the weakass lame Sec. of State when that crap happened?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

That is an embarrassment to the US.

The guy basically gave up his life to help us get Bin Laden.

And we turned our back on him.

Who was the weakass lame Sec. of State when that crap happened?

Oh!! Can I answer, Can I answer? I have my hand up!!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Last May, Pakistan's foreign ministry angrily criticised U.S. President-elect Donald Trump for saying he could get Pakistan to free Afridi "within two minutes".

With all the US money that flows to Pakistan Trump may be able to get him extradited to the USA..

At least Trump is aware and talking about the Doctors plight... Present regime and several years after imprisonment .... crickets unless you count the occasional verbiage or wringing of hands....typical and no meaningful action to get the guy free. This is not mission impossible.. Free him to us or we will cut off a few billion dollars to your country...something like that would probably work..

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

The whole bin Laden operation seemed strange to me.

I know this theory might make me seem nutty,but at least I'm on the right website for it.

I think that the Obama administration knew precisely where bin Laden was months before the take down-but just used the situation to hand that drone over to islam.

Is it really wrong to think that of an American president that was already responsible for a treasonous act like Fast and Furious?

Hell,Obama has been smuggling as many known islamic terrorists into the country as fast as he can-and probably still is as I type this.

edit on 18-1-2017 by angryproctologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
cut off their funding. then freeze their accounts to the banking system until they give the man up.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
cut off their funding. then freeze their accounts to the banking system until they give the man up.

You dont see this from their prospective do you?

This guy aided and abetted foreign military action in his country, he is lucky he is not hanged.

Very one sided thinking here.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang

This guy aided and abetted foreign military action in his country, he is lucky he is not hanged.

And his own government aided and abedded Bin laden. very one sided thinking there.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

And his own government aided and abedded Bin laden. very one sided thinking there.
Pakistan is (ostensibly) the only Muslin country with nuclear capability. And you figure that the US should just jump in there and tell everybody what they're going to do? What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Pakistan is (ostensibly) the only Muslin country with nuclear capability. And you figure that the US should just jump in there and tell everybody what they're going to do? What could possibly go wrong?

Nuke themselves as they are shot down trying to launch them. Next.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Errr...I don't get why people are confused that Pakistan would not free this guy.
I mean, as muSSang said, what he did was technically treason: he aided and abetted a foreign military action in his own country. Now whether Pakistan was "aiding and abetting bin Laden" (as yuppa says, but Pakistan still maintains it wasn't, and had no idea he was there) isn't really relevant to the question.

Like, for example, lets say a powerful mexican druglord was hiding out in the US, and Mexico suspected that any attempt to involve the US government would tip off the druglord. So they gather intel through a house doctor, who then reports back to the Mexicans, who then launch a SWAT-like attack on the guy's house, and extract him/kill him.
The Mexicans may have done a "good" thing (getting rid of the druglord), but that wouldn't stop the US from condemning them, and jailing the doctor for assisting them.

Or a more realistic example, lets say a whistleblower in the US government/army releases a bunch of documents that prove corruption/war crimes on the highest level. Everyone would hold him up as a hero, but the government would still go after him and jail him for treason.

Heck, the whole thing is EVEN worse, and I'd say the doctor is the furthest thing from a hero, because of what his job was, and how he gained access. Pakistan is one of the very few countries left in the world which still has Polio. One of the ridiculous pieces of propaganda that go about (especially in the region the doctor is from) is that vaccines are a cover for CIA operatives, and for spying, and even for sterilisation. These are obviously ridiculous assertions and they did exist long before this guy did anything, but because of his actions, that nonsense now has even more support.

Ohyeah, also, Pakistan isn't in the Middle East.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Nuke themselves as they are shot down trying to launch them. Next.

Not that I agree with the US attempting to keep Pakistan on a financial 'leash' so they're malleable, but neither do I think that your glib conjecture ought to be the basis for American foreign policy on the Indian subcontinent. That might sound ok over a beer, but it's doesn't add much to any critical discourse on the subject.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Seriously disagree with you here 727Sky - for one simple reason. The Dr was convicted of being a member of a banned Islamic Terrorist group (in a nation that suffers numerous Terrorist attacks).

What would you be saying if it was Pakistan demanding the US release someone convicted of being a terrorist in the US?
edit on 24-1-2017 by Flavian because: cos im an idiot!

new topics

top topics

join