It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative students ARRESTED for handing out Constitutions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
We here things like this from time to time.

Students attempt to hand out copies of the U.S. Constitution and get hassled by police.

This one apparently happened a few months ago and the college is getting sued.

Conservative students ARRESTED for handing out Constitutions

Kellogg Community College is being sued after campus police arrested three conservative activists and college students while they were handing out pocket Constitutions and signing students up for a conservative student organization.

Administrators told the activists that asking students if they "like freedom and liberty" was disruptive because students "don't know that they can say 'see ya later.'"

The Alliance Defending Freedom has now filed a federal lawsuit against KCC, accusing the school of violating both the First and the Fourteenth Amendments.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Finally got'em good- they should have had the constitution printed on rainbow paper.
edit on 18-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well, that seems like that community college should educate their students in not being so PC so they can say, 'See ya later'! Seems they are pushing the blame!

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Technically they were arrested for trespassing after they were asked to leave.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I read your OP and couldn't imagine a college in 2017 being stupid enough to arrest students for passing out copies of the Constitution. This is a perfect example of the inability of the PC challenged to make rational decisions. If the group wins and sets up a go-fund-me page I'll contribute. I found a link that might shed a little light:

www.mlive.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Trespassing and loitering is against the law; handing out Constitution flyers is not. Take a wild guess what they were being arrested for...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Technically they were arrested for trespassing after they were asked to leave.

It must have been declared a "Constitution free" zone.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sounds like a BS story. According to all the right wingers everyone in college are bleeding heart liberals so just where did these "conservative students" come from?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

I read your OP and couldn't imagine a college in 2017 being stupid enough to arrest students for passing out copies of the Constitution. This is a perfect example of the inability of the PC challenged to make rational decisions. If the group wins and sets up a go-fund-me page I'll contribute. I found a link that might shed a little light:

www.mlive.com...

Kool.

Students at both schools have complained that administrators have tried to limit free speech on campus by designating areas for free speech and requiring school permission before holding gatherings.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Sounds like a BS story. According to all the right wingers everyone in college are bleeding heart liberals so just where did these "conservative students" come from?

They must be from a "Constitutional Republic" zone.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

because students "don't know that they can say 'see ya later.'"

maybe colleges should get rid of worthless classes like " unlearning toxic masculinity" and replace them with classes like " learning how to say c`ya later"
what do you expect from a community college that`s named after a cereal company.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'd imagine they will loose this since it's private property and they must follow the rules.

It should not happen, but I suspect it will.

The lesson is in where people spend their money for an education. These schools are giant holes in the ground that require a lot of cash to keep them going with all the extracurricular stuff they pay for. I'm guessing they cater to the largest source of funding.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Honestly it's time to stop pretending that there's no such thing as Conservative students and Conservative student groups and that they don't engage in agitation the same way Liberal students and groups do.

It is not unreasonable nor against free speech to not let students do whatever, whenever, wherever they want on campus. There was a similar situation a few years ago (and thread, iirc... posted by same member) and that lawsuit was thrown out. This lawsuit will be thrown out too.

This is a story completely devoid of context (namely the rules of the school) with the intention of painting Conservative students as victims of the Liberal academic system (it's not liberal, nor uniform).

Im so tired of the warped world view being shoved down Conservative throats. Venomous hatred of Liberals is allowing you all to be so easily manipulated.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

But it's all for the free spirit of Protesting !!!

The message is sent and it's clear.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Im so tired of the warped world view being shoved down Conservative throats. Venomous hatred of Liberals is allowing you all to be so easily manipulated.

The loudest ones aren't doing themselves any favors to reverse the view (although I doubt they care).

I will agree with you on the way this story is portrayed and we would all do well to read the sources and any other relating as opposed to the thread title.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Had the government passed laws to make it illegal to privately own copies of the Constitution, and confiscated all copies of the constitution held by legal citizens, this would never have happened

Im pretending to be Agustus.....

edit on 18-1-2017 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The loudest ones aren't doing themselves any favors to reverse the view (although I doubt they care).

That goes both ways though. Most of these stories (from either side) can easily be found in less biased places. It just takes a few minutes of skimming through search results.

Detroit News

The school’s solicitation policy requires students to obtain permission from the school before they engage in expressive activity on campus and only in one location, according to the lawsuit.

I have to wonder, did this group even try to approach the board about excluding handing out pocket Constitutions? Further, would they have been stopped if they hadn't tried to verbally engage?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

It certainly goes both ways.

IMO they probably didn't see any issue with passing out the pocket constitutions. When they were met with the authority on the property of where they were doing this, then it became and issue and something to capitalize on.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

They did it knowing they would get in trouble, Liberals don't own that tactic.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What do republicans know about the constitution? Outside of the 2nd amendment, you guys really don't give a flying f regarding other aspects of the constitution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join