It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorist liability introduced in response to pipeline protests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Diisenchanted

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A close reading only covers you if you are driving at night and accidentally hit someone coming out into traffic to start blocking the lane or if your life is in danger if you stay stopped.

I wonder if anyone in this thread will respond to you? They're off and running seeking blood....

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Not true, protests are supposed to be disruptive, that's why they work.

Even if that were the case though, are you saying you would start killing your fellow citizens out of personal convenience?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Even if that were the case though, are you saying you would start killing your fellow citizens out of personal convenience?

Protests are not meant to be disruptive, they are meant to be a voice of dissent. Allowing others to 'see' your message of dissent. Protesters would have a more beneficial impact by standing shoulder to shoulder along the highway rather than being a mass mob in the middle of a highway.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

If you don't want to deal with protestors, don't do things that make large numbers of people protest. It's pretty simple.

The first step in that, is to not pass laws allowing them to be murdered, just because.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

If you don't want to deal with protestors, don't do things that make large numbers of people protest. It's pretty simple.

The first step in that, is to not pass laws allowing them to be murdered, just because.

It's rarely that simple. If you block my car and close in, and I think my life may be in danger, I will quite happily mow some of you down and shoot the rest. I really suggest you don't. Just because. Go protest elsewhere. In the road is a bad bad place.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

MY problem is that I have no idea what you are up to. If you block the road, and then start encroaching on my vehicle, I have NO idea what your intentions are. At that point, it becomes touchy. If you, as a protestor, single out my vehicle for coming into contact to with some attitude, I am quite liable to decide you are a danger to my life and safety. At that point, you are in a great deal of danger. I will react more quickly if my family is in the vehicle.

It might be a better thing not to demonstrate in such a way that I don't know what you're up to. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Diisenchanted

I love this idea.

If some assclown is standing in the middle of the street whining about some crap they need to be run over. I have personally wanted to crush these fools myself. If you want to protest do it out of traffic or you deserve what you get.

So you're for murdering your own countrymen that haven't committed any crimes, and are using their constitutionally protected right to protest... simply because they're an inconvenience to you?

I may be in support of whatever their cause they are protesting, but even so, the protesters may not know this. I will push my car past them and not take a chance in them causing me any harm. Obviously, I will speed up more if they began to beat on my car to make me stop. I have rights too. If someone is aggressive enough to stand in front of my moving vehicle...yes...they will be responsible for getting run over!

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Many new laws would not be necessary if a large number of people actually followed the current ones.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

So you would rather run someone over than take a detour?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I would rather run over someone than be dragged from my vehicle and beaten to death, or see that occur to a family member.

Remember, YOU know what you are up to. I do not. If you block my vehicle in and then appear to be attacking, I will respond from MY point of view, not yours.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I'll never be in that situation. I'll just go around them.

Also, uncertainty isn't a reason to kill someone.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

If someone intentionally 'disrupts' my life we have a problem...one that I will solve because of YOUR decision to mess with me.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If someone intentionally 'disrupts' my life we have a problem...one that I will solve because of YOUR decision to mess with me.

So you believe you should be able to kill people because they're protesting something you support?

Does that mean you're ok with someone killing you or your family for taking part in a protest?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Bedlam

I'll never be in that situation. I'll just go around them.

Also, uncertainty isn't a reason to kill someone.

You may not be ABLE to go around them.

Total certainty requires waiting until you're dead. Hence, self defense will always have that nuance of "What if the guy with the knife was just trying to scare me really badly and really wouldn't have driven it into my neck like he said he was going to do as he came at me?"

So, yes, someone's apparent threat to my or my family's safety does at some point become concrete enough to act before "total certainty" sets in.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

So you believe you should be able to kill people because they're protesting something you support?

Does that mean you're ok with someone killing you or your family for taking part in a protest?

If I ever felt the need to protest I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it in the middle of the road. You have the right to protest...not break the law. I am not sure what is keeping you from understanding something so simple.
edit on 2017/1/20 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

If I ever felt the need to protest I wouldn't be stupid enough to do it in the middle of the road. You have the right to protest...not break the law. I am not sure what is keeping you from understanding something so simple.

It's called civil disobedience. It happens often during protests. Martin Luther King Jr. was arrested for civil disobedience. Many of his marches were done right in the middle of roads, blocking them from access.

Ironically enough, King noted that his biggest frustration was with people just like you.

Over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action.” … Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

theindependent.ca...

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Detour? I don't listen to the radio, if there are no detour signs beforehand, I would be in the thick of it before realizing. Most highways are one way and I certainly would not wish to get my car stuck trying to turn around in the median! The only way a protester would get run over is if they absolutely, illegally and stupidly refused to move out of the way!

edit on 1 20 2017 by CynConcepts because: Spell corrector error

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
You may not be ABLE to go around them.

Total certainty requires waiting until you're dead. Hence, self defense will always have that nuance of "What if the guy with the knife was just trying to scare me really badly and really wouldn't have driven it into my neck like he said he was going to do as he came at me?"

So, yes, someone's apparent threat to my or my family's safety does at some point become concrete enough to act before "total certainty" sets in.

Alternate roadways are almost always available.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

It's called civil disobedience. It happens often during protests.

That doesn't make it right.

Bottom line is if you want to break the law I might want to run you over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join