It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Role model in chief

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I, like my liberal peers in California, were completely turned off to Donald Trump's presentation. Early in the election I realized I had to ask myself a question. What is more important: a president that is a good a moral role model, or a president get the job done. It seems obvious. Get the job done. It's not okay to lead a country poverty just because you did it with style. It's not okay to offshore all our jobs as long as you pause to post Instagram with famous athletes and celebrities.

The more the MSM pushed the character attack on Trump the more they showed they have nothing to attack as far as him getting things done. They just kept pushing this approach. DT is a bigot, rapist, racist, rips tags off mattresses. They wanted us to answer my question the other way.

My problem with liberals right now is not that they think Trump has poor character, but how they think that matters.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
They don't really care about his character, they just don't want to admit defeat IMO.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
That`s exactly right, being president isn`t about being popular with the cool kids, it`s about making sure that the country is safe and prosperous. I don`t care what trump is like personally because he will never be coming to my house to drink a beer and shoot the $hit, I only care that he can do the job of president by keeping the country safe and prosperous.

The president isn`t your friend he`s your employee so you don`t have to like him but he has to be competent and do a good job,nothing else matters.

edit on 17-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
For most people it seems they prefer their politicians to be politically correct as opposed to just correct.

Everyday people are turning away from the MSM but sadly people are also digging in harder when they see their messed up worldview crashing down around them.

Im confident and hopeful Trump will do good things and I just hope all the haters can acknowledge it when he does

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
For most people it seems they prefer their politicians to be politically correct as opposed to just correct.

Everyday people are turning away from the MSM but sadly people are also digging in harder when they see their messed up worldview crashing down around them.

Im confident and hopeful Trump will do good things and I just hope all the haters can acknowledge it when he does

No we just expect them to carry the office with dignity, I wasn't a Reagan fan but he and Nancy carried the office with dignity, so did George Bush Sr, and Jimmy Carter before him, whatever personal bad habit they had going all the way to JFK, they kept it on the down low, and what ever you think of the Obamas politically I'd be damned if they didn't carry themselves with grace.
The Clintons was a disaster and the low bar was set by them.
George Bush Jr got a c at best.

I know many here could care less about how things look from the outside , but if you took a tip and view things from the outside , Americans are looking crass and classless right now, an image that expats will have to battle as a matter of national pride.

edit on 18-1-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

Hitler got the job done too. He brought Germany's economy back, which made the Germans love him.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

This NYT's opinion piece says it better than I can:
Retweeting Donald Trump

Trump is hardly the first person elected president to have his legitimacy attacked. Indeed, he led the onslaught on President Obama’s legitimacy. But more than any president since Richard Nixon, Trump has shown himself incapable of turning the other cheek and converting doubters into allies. In an age that demands giant leadership, he’s behaved utterly small.

What if, after Meryl Streep used her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes to decry Trump’s cruel impersonation of a handicapped reporter, Trump — instead of ridiculously calling her “one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood” — had tweeted: “Meryl Streep, greatest actress ever, ever, ever. Stuff happens in campaigns, Meryl. Even I have regrets. But watch, I’ll make you proud of my presidency!!!!”

What if, after John Lewis, the congressman and civil rights hero, questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s election, Trump hadn’t sneered that Lewis was “all talk, talk, talk” and “should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape.” What if Trump instead tweeted: “John Lewis, a great American, let’s walk together through your district and develop a plan to improve people’s lives there. Obama was all talk. I’m all action. Call me Friday after 1 p.m. 202-456-1414. I’ll show you how legit I am.”

What if on New Year’s Trump — instead of tweeting “Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies” who “lost so badly they just don’t know what to do” — had tweeted: “Happy New Year to every American — especially to Hillary Clinton and her supporters who fought a tough campaign — very tough. Let’s together make 2017 amazing (!!!!!!) for every American. Love!”

What if, after a cast member of the musical “Hamilton” appealed to Vice President-elect Mike Pence to “uphold our American values” and “work on behalf of all of us,” Trump — instead of denouncing the actor as being “very rude and insulting” and claiming he “couldn’t even memorize lines” — had instead tweeted: “To the cast of Hamilton: Appreciate your sincere concern for our country. When I am in the room where it happens, good stuff will happen. I will not throw away my shot to work on behalf of all of us!!!”

What if Trump — instead of calling Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer “head clown” — had tweeted: “Chuck, you are THE MAN!!! Top Democrat now that Obama’s gone!!! You love to deal. Send me your best health care experts and we’ll fix this thing together in 24 hours, so every American gets better, cheaper care. We’ll both be heroes (well, me just a little bit more). Call me!!!”

That is the sound of magnanimity. It would have generated a flood of good will that would make solving every big problem easier. And it would have cost Trump nothing.

When you spend all your free time furthering the divisions you've sewed during the election, you aren't a good leader. Being a leader requires majority support and a populace willing to be lead. Not ridiculed until they fall into line.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Totally agree with that piece. Trump has divided us even more with his childish attacks. I might actually learn to like him if he used those nicer, more inclusive tweets.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Exactly. They aren't even that bad. Just a small show of humility to let the other side know that their opinions matter too. He can keep his candor and attitude, but its the way he treats his non-supporters that feeds into the animosity towards him.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Have you seen the movie "Whiplash!"? I recommend watching it cold turkey. It says something about the snowflake culture. I do see your point. Trump could make an effort to "heal" people's feelings. But if he was like that he would be just another salesman and certainly wouldn't be where he is now. I dont want a leader to blow smoke up my ass. Pardon the expression.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

But if he was like that he would be just another salesman and certainly wouldn't be where he is now. I dont want a leader to blow smoke up my ass. Pardon the expression.

Right, Trump isn't a salesman and is always truthful. But you bought his brand of BS and now feel the need to make excuses for him. Donald is the champion smoke blower of all time and his followers are oblivious.

Reminder....he cut Clinton loose after his promise to put her in jail. No smoke there eh?

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

He is "just another salesman..." I truly can't wait for his supporters to finally see that.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No he is an executive officer.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Hitler got the job done too. He brought Germany's economy back, which made the Germans love him.

What's your point? We should elect impotent leaders?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton

No, my point is that we should not just look at whether someone could "get the job done" as our only criteria.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton

No, my point is that we should not just look at whether someone could "get the job done" as our only criteria.

I disagree. I think the ability to do what we hire them to do is paramount. As I am ranting in this thread, it boils down to asking myself if I think a president's job is to make people feel good. If I did agree with that, I would vote differently.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Well then you should be happy with Trump, because he has no plans to make minorities, Muslims or the poor "feel good", as they will be basically shut out or have their civil rights trampled.

You apparently will be very happy about that. Good for you.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Well then you should be happy with Trump, because he has no plans to make minorities, Muslims or the poor "feel good", as they will be basically shut out or have their civil rights trampled.

You apparently will be very happy about that. Good for you.

I think a lot of people are offended that Trump insults people and is a shrewd businessman. Offended enough to trade a real leader with a lame duck.

And isn't this a matter of perception? Trump called CNN fake news. Very unpresidential, right? In that one statement he shattered decades of MIC stronghold on our press. Does it make muslims "feel good" that MIC wants us to think muslims are terrorists? Does it make the black community "feel good" to have a cops-hate-you message rammed down their throat? Does it make college students "feel good" to know the president's "job creation" spree is all part-time work?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Oh, Trump will get the job done - making the rich folks like him even richer. Everyone else - not so much.

I hate his rudeness and idiotic childish tweets. But that's the least of my worries with Trump.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Oh, Trump will get the job done - making the rich folks like him even richer. Everyone else - not so much.

I hate his rudeness and idiotic childish tweets. But that's the least of my worries with Trump.

It is so hard to get a liberal out of irrelevant Hitler/racist-pig mode. I don't know your affiliation, and I appreciate your willingness to talk actual policies. What makes you say he will only benefit the rich? Is it his tax plan?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join