It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1969 Jimmy Carter UFO -- New Explanation, a NASA rocket launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Robert Sheaffer has posted a new theory for Jimmy Carter's famous UFO sighting, he suggests it could have been a NASA barium cloud launch and not as he first proposed, the planet Venus. Sounds like the new theory needs a little serious review and critiquing.

See badufos.blogspot.com...

Sheaffer's major contribution to the case was his discovery of the actual date and place of the sighting, which Carter had guessed wrong about when he wrote his report several years later....

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

OK. I can buy that explanation because it solves absolutely nothing except to prove the obvious that there would be typical earthly phenomena mistaken for alien ships in the midst of actual alien ships being witnessed as they visit earth.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

OK. I can buy that explanation because it solves absolutely nothing except to prove the obvious that there would be typical earthly phenomena mistaken for alien ships in the midst of actual alien ships being witnessed as they visit earth.

Everything is an atmospheric phenomenon, didn't you get the memo? More rubbish coming out of the Nasa camp. Hopefully Trump fires the whole rotten bunch of them. I'm fed up with the lies.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here's a letter sent to Carter's family last year:

I'm sorry to have missed your recent presentation to the Alpharetta Historical Society. Friends of mine who attended said it was quite good. I am a native Atlantan, former Professor at GA Tech, longtime admirer of President Carter, and longtime contributor to The Carter Center. After recently reading the book 'Georgia Myths & Legends', by Augusta Chronicle columnist Don Rhodes, specifically Chapter 5 'Jimmy Carter and the UFO', I am virtually certain that I have identified the source of what it was that President Carter saw. In the 1960s and early 70s I worked on an Air Force sponsored project that studied the upper atmosphere using releases of glowing chemical clouds, produced by rockets launched from Eglin AFB rocket range in Florida. Some of these chemical clouds, notably sodium and barium, were visible by the process of resonance scattering of sunlight. Clouds of this type had to be launched not long after sunset or not long before sunrise. This was due to the fact that the cloud had to be in sunlight at high altitude, while it was still dark enough at ground level for the cloud to be visible against the dark sky. In Carter's official 1973 UFO report, as given in the Rhodes book, he stated that he had seen the phenomenon in October, 1969, at 7:15 pm EST. However, it has been determined from Lions Club records that Carter must have seen the 'UFO' when he spoke to their Leary, GA Chapter on January 6, 1969. The report 'U.S. Space Science Program Report to COSPAR, 1970' (QB504.U54, Appendix I, page 154), documents that there was a barium cloud launched from Eglin AFB (Rocket Number AG7.626) and released on January 6, 1969 at 7:35 pm EST (January 7, 1969, 0035 UTC) [COSPAR stands for Committee on Space Research]. The reported altitude for this cloud was 152 km. With a distance between Leary, GA and Eglin AFB, FL of about 234 km, this cloud would have appeared in the sky at an elevation of 33 degrees (consistent with Carter's estimate of a 30 degree elevation). Carter's report notes that stars were visible, so the night must have been clear. I can verify from personal experience that under clear skies, a barium cloud such as this would easily have been visible from the distance of Leary, GA. Carter reported the UFO 'appeared from West'. The direction of Eglin AFB from Leary, GA is approximately WSW. Thus this barium cloud at Eglin is consistent with Carter's reported 'UFO' as to time, elevation, AND direction. Furthermore, the appearance reported by Carter is totally consistent with a high altitude barium cloud. His report stated that it was 'bluish at first, then reddish, luminous not solid'. A neutral barium cloud would initially glow bluish or greenish, with parts of it taking on a reddish glow as some the barium becomes ionized in the high altitude sunlight. The size and brightness, reported as being about that of the moon, would also be consistent with a barium cloud at Eglin, as viewed from Leary, GA Carter has been reported as saying that he never believed that he had seen an alien spacecraft, but that he had no idea exactly what it was. I'm interested in exploring if this information could be relayed to President Carter, so that if he wishes to, he can better understand what it was that he saw back then. Do you have any suggestions? In the past few weeks, I have used several avenues for sending this information to the Carter Center Library and have yet to receive a reply. A Facebook Messenger inquiry to the Carter Library FB page provided me with the email address of Tony Clark, Public Affairs Director of the Carter Library. I emailed him the above information, but have yet to receive a reply. Thanks, xxxxxx

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Wow! Another swamp gas theory? People are delusional for sure!

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Alien ships? Carter didn't presume it was alien:

originally posted by: JimOberg

Carter has been reported as saying that he never believed that he had seen an alien spacecraft, but that he had no idea exactly what it was.
I saw an interview of Carter where he said he didn't know what it was. He didn't say anything about thinking it was alien.

Jimmy Carter UFO incident

In 1973 Carter said (Sheaffer 1998:20–21)

"There were about twenty of us standing outside of a little restaurant, I believe, a high school lunch room, and a kind of green light appeared in the western sky. This was right after sundown. It got brighter and brighter. And then it eventually disappeared. It didn't have any solid substance to it, it was just a very peculiar-looking light. None of us could understand what it was."
One thing I notice is that Carter's statement that "It didn't have any solid substance to it" would be consistent with a (barium) cloud, wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Most of the non-physical anomalies witnessed are likely plasma phenomenon leashed/anchored to physical subjects on the ground or extradimensional manifestations becoming visible under the perfect circumstances and conditions. Intelligent energy forms, spirits, and entities.

top topics

join