It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious question: why are you not keen to see the tax returns?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hi all

Ok, so here's how this works - I am not a liberal. I am not a conservative. I have some liberal opinions, and some conservative ones. Neither of these are SJW level, or KKK level. Hence my user name.

I am not trying to mudsling or start arguments. I don't care if you hate Obama or Hillary, I don't care if you're anti-Trump, and all the pointless trolling about crybabies/snowflakes/hypocrisy (which can easily apply to both sides on these boards lately) need to be shelved, because we're not children. Also please don't bother with the "You're English, it's none of your business lol" stuff, because geopolitics doesn't work like that.

I have an honest, unbiased question from an outsider's perspective and I'd like the honest answers from supporters of Trump without childish insults from either side. Ok, onto the point.

During the birther thing, there was widespread call from far and wide for Obama to show his birth certificate. People went on about it for years, including Trump. Fine, you felt you had a valid argument, and rumours abounded as ever, and the eventual outcome was that it was legit and the gossip was wrong. But you had your reasons for asking.

So my question is, with this in mind, why are the Right now saying it's fine that Trump won't show his tax returns like every other president has since the 1970s. He says nobody cares, which is obviously wrong. He deflected after saying 'they're under audit' (while shifting awkwardly and looking away).

Fact: if he has nothing to hide, showing them would silence all the naysayers. So why not do it? "Because he doesn't have to" is not a valid response. Why would he risk making himself look suspicious if there's nothing to hide? Why even bother?

Now, the Right on these boards are generally fiercely patriotic and proud of their country - which is commendable. So surely you want to be sure that your leader can have your absolute trust without blind faith - so why are people on here so quick to defend him not releasing them? Do you not feel even slightly concerned?

Again please don't take this as an insult or querying your loyalty. It is not. I'm simply asking for you to educate me on why it's not a concern to you, because it damn well would be for me if he was my leader. Blind faith is dangerous. You can support your leader while still keeping them in check; it doesn't make you unpatriotic or treasonous; it's just good sense. We pretty much all do it in the UK (but then we do like to moan).
edit on 17-1-2017 by fencesitter85 because: words

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
He will release them.

He's just getting people agitated and all against him for not doing so already, making them believe he has something to hide, then BAM.

He hits them all with a mundane Tax return when he needs to cover up some bill Congress proposes.
And the media will run with it sos to cover the tracks of their corrupt overlords.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I see Trumps tax return as a red herring, or even a straw man kind of talking point to criticize Trump. If he did release them, then unscrupulous people would use the information to manipulate stocks and key industries to do all kinds of dirty work.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85
Fact: if he has nothing to hide, showing them would silence all the naysayers. So why not do it? "Because he doesn't have to" is not a valid response. Why would he risk making himself look suspicious if there's nothing to hide? Why even bother?

Probably because deep down the trumpets know if Trump released them (after he promised to) they would show he is not worth as much as he claims, they may also show he is heavily indebted to China and Russia.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: fencesitter85

My inner devil wants him to release fraudulent tax returns and then not authorize the IRS to authenticate them.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I agree , perhaps it's his Achilles heel , although we aready know he doesn't pay tax ... but that's OK too.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Legally he doesn't have to show them, if there was a problem you can bet that the IRS would have leaked the information by now. 99.99% of the people would not be able to interpret the laws nor the information which probably consists of hundreds if not thousands of pieces of paper

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Even if he shows them, everybody would claim they are fake.
Remember obamas birth certificate?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery

Legally he doesn't have to show them, if there was a problem you can bet that the IRS would have leaked the information by now. 99.99% of the people would not be able to interpret the laws nor the information which probably consists of hundreds if not thousands of pieces of paper

Fair point, but there are plenty of experts who would break them down for us normies

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Fair point, but there are plenty of experts who would break them down for us normies

Experts with an agenda.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I've been through a few presidents, and I have never taken an interest in seeing tax information. The press and the gov ethics committees do and I am inclined to accept their interpretation. Neither of these entities hold much credibility at the moment. They've cried wolf too many times. If CNN finds something it will just get washed away as propaganda. They will do the same if they don't.

I realize I am being ignorant. I'd like to know what it is that people look for in the tax returns. Is it the ability to work within the rules given to make the most money? or should I be concerned that the candidate is actually paying? If a candidate is not using a common loophole, should I think the candidate is better because they are patriotic, or worse for having sub-par intelligence.

It all seems very subjective to me, and no matter what is produced it would be spun into the narrative.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Im not fussed if he shows them or not, I accept the reason he doesnt want to show them is probably because he may have uses legalities to pay a lesser tax percent, All rich people do it, I would too if i was a billionaire, And so would most people.
Thats not to say it im happy about Trump not showing his tax returns, Instead, it's something i'll overlook, Simply because whatever tax loophole he may of used, Pales in comparison to who might of been in the white house instead of him, It really is a matter of being the lesser of 2 evils, Another reason i'll overlook the tax returns is because i agree with a lot of his policies, With any political figure you support, There will be some area about them, or policy you dont like. If you want the perfect candidate, there isnt one, Unless you ran for the presidency yourself, then you would love all the policies...

I dont know how much is reported in USA, But a whole host of Massive american companies are registered in Ireland so they can use a tax loophole to the tune of 10's of billions of dollars, Apple and microsoft are just 2 of these and i dont see much written about it.

If everyone is so concerned why aren't these 2 mentioned??

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I am not trying to mudsling or start arguments.

...I'd like the honest answers from supporters of Trump without childish insults from either side.

Then why did you publish your thread in the Mud-Pit?

...why are the Right now saying it's fine that Trump won't show his tax returns...

I don't believe you. I've only seen some people parrot Trump's excuse for not showing them, but never fine or content with not seeing them. There be dragons or he would have produced them, period. Also, if you really didn't care about partisanship, in my opinion, there would be fewer labels and accusatory undertones in your OP.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

First because it's non of my business, second don't care, third not required by law and finally what difference will it make.

link   
The simple difference for me is that proof of your income is not required to be President but proof that you are a naturally born American citizen is a requirement for the office of President? Can you understand the difference?

link   
Why do we need his tax returns?
We already know everything about his finances.
He filed the legally required forms with the United States Office of Government Ethics.
They are publicly available:

pfds.opensecrets.org...
pfds.opensecrets.org...

There is much more in these reports than you will find in a tax return.

edit on 1/17/17 by BlueAjah because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I honestly don't care about them much anymore.

The tax issue only seems to be a big deal with one party and for one party. The idea of cheating on taxes likewise only seems to be a big deal with one party and for one party as far as the press is concerned.

Go back and do your homework and you will find that many of Obama's appointees to his first cabinet had tax fraud or non-payment issues, including most infamously, his pick to head the Treasury Tim Geithner whose excuse was that TurboTax was too complicated. The same people who then screamed about Romney's taxes, including running with Harry Reid's lie that Romney never paid any taxes, chuckled over it and ran with stories about how TurboTax is too complex. Although, in the end, some of Obama's appointees did back out over tax problems (Tom Daschle as just one).

So yeah, I'm over the whole taxes as an issue thing.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Because it doesn't matter, and it's true it wouldn't make any difference.

Face it people.

IF you hate Trump before. Your still going to hate him after.

edit on 17-1-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We are rebuilding a country's economy,reestablishing control over national policies that have slaughtered thousands and THAT isn't going to affect my gun collection.
Corruption in taxes at HIS level is practically A GIVEN, somewhere in his businesses there HAS to be an issue.
It will NOT impact on how he deploys troops ,eliminates Obamacare and the stopping of the RINOS.
The now defunct DNC and its Prog polices are burning down as we speak,GONE is coastal rule!
This is a Tea Party ambushing...

edit on 17-1-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Why do we need his tax returns?
We already know everything about his finances.
He filed the legally required forms with the United States Office of Government Ethics.
They are publicly available:

pfds.opensecrets.org...
pfds.opensecrets.org...

There is much more in these reports than you will find in a tax return.

Because having a President whos Mr Number 1 in the government who has defrauded the government through tax evasion is like hiring a wolf to look after the sheep.

But if you don't care.......carry on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join