It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama commutes much of Chelsea Manning's sentence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It seems that the general population has forgotten about the danger Manning put US operatives in. He is not a hero and he did a lot of damage. Granted he is a sick individual but he was responsible for the death of many. Mainly the killing of short dark haired men who were providing info to the US Government. It dried up the informant sources and hurt our intel. Manning does not deserve different treatment from "normal" people. He made choices.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: searching411

It sets a precedent for leniency as well as a double standard. All of the excuses are just bull crap. Manning may be a means to an end in the extradition of Assange. This is an example of "Executive privilege".

Also, people talking about "Pardoning Clinton", and taking themselves seriously.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: searching411
It seems that the general population has forgotten about the danger Manning put US operatives in. He is not a hero and he did a lot of damage. Granted he is a sick individual but he was responsible for the death of many. Mainly the killing of short dark haired men who were providing info to the US Government. It dried up the informant sources and hurt our intel. Manning does not deserve different treatment from "normal" people. He made choices.

Citation required!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Jiggly
snowden up next?

Snowden can not be pardoned, because he has not stood trial and been convicted of anything. Ditto on commutation.

That`s not true, Nixon was never charged or convicted of a crime but Ford pardoned him. Ford pardoned Nixon for any and all crimes he MAY have committed while serving as president of the united states.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: searching411

The OP is asking for a citation.

I'm going to go with what you wrote for the moment and say this is where the schism lies. As a part of the general population and not a U.S. operative, I have serious issues with the hidden motivations and resultant actions being taken in the name of the U.S. in other countries. It hurts. Deeply.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Again, I want to make this a lesson for us.

NO HUMAN BEING IS ALL EVIL

There is no more of a critic of Obama than me on this site but when he does a charitable great act like this, we should all give the man his props.

If you choose political ideological sides as a religion, then you are all but incapable of seeing good in a fellow human being if you have a different viewpoint (typically on tax brackets).

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Seems a little strange given Obama's stance on whistleblowers. However, I personally feel he did the right thing.

I wonder if Snowden and Assange are going to go the transgender route to get some love from Obama?

edit on 44131America/ChicagoTue, 17 Jan 2017 19:44:55 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

That's why they can charge him, send the request to the UK and then have him present himself to the US or UK authorities there.

It's not like they aren't waiting outside the embassy anyway. But a charge would have to come first.

~Tenth

Why?

Obama pardoned Manning, how can he go after Assange?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: saudi
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I won't hold my breath but what if we see a thing like "Obama pardons Snowden".Now that will be just beyond curious.

Or Bo Bergdahl.

Why not the Rosenbergs?

Empty gitmo too.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Let that sailor out that took the pics of his sub.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Once in a while Obama does something good by accident.

All the news is so irate about it. Fox news says that if we want to be serious about National defense she should never get out. She should be executed!

I know why Obama did it.
He wants Trump to go easy on Miss Clinton. By letting Manning go you can't say that everyone is prosecuted for doing close to what Clinton did. Clinton will be free to destroy the World another day.

Plus Obama himself has broken quite a few laws.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Doctor Smith because: Add

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

Agreed - Obama does nothing by accident nor to be nice.
Everything he does has a political motivation.
He did not release Manning to be generous.
I guess we will have to wait to see what he has up his sleeves.

My first guess is that he is about to pardon Clinton (as I mentioned).

He might also be calling Snowden's bluff to see if he turns himself in.
If Snowden goes back on his word, then the left has more ammo to discredit him.
If Snowden turns himself in, then Trump will be in a tough spot.
If he goes too easy on him, it will look like he is rewarding Snowden for the leaks.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: searching411

If I remember right. Wikileaks doesn't release that type of information. They only release illegal activities. Not any information that would jeopardize an informant. Clinton is the one that gave away information by accident that got a few killed. Like the spy in Iran.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tweetie
a reply to: Tempter

I'm interested in your honest viewpoint and why. You think Manning shouldn't have been granted clemency.

No, I dont. HE was convicted in a military tribunal, was HE not?

The truth that was found in that case hasn't changed, and I don't think Presidents should the power to pardon or commutation, either.

The law is the law. It is being sh!t on for political purposes .

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

The truth that was found in that case hasn't changed, and I don't think Presidents should the power to pardon or commutation, either.

No, these are precisely the types of situations the power to pardon exists for. People in government (and that includes the military) disproportionately punish crimes that make them look bad. That's why Manning was thrown into solitary and basically left to go crazy. Even when she gets out, that damage is permanent... it's never going away, and it's much more than having just spent 8 years in prison.

Obama did the right thing with letting her out.

Snowden on the other hand, I'm torn on. Part of me would like to see him able to come home. I consider both Snowden and Manning heroes. On the other hand, part of me also believes that Snowden should stand trial, so that the people can decide if whistleblowing was correct in this instance.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
twitter.com...

Looks like Assange will be keeping his word.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Tempter

No, these are precisely the types of situations the power to pardon exists for. People in government (and that includes the military) disproportionately punish crimes that make them look bad. That's why Manning was thrown into solitary and basically left to go crazy. Even when she gets out, that damage is permanent... it's never going away, and it's much more than having just spent 8 years in prison.

Obama did the right thing with letting her out.

Snowden on the other hand, I'm torn on. Part of me would like to see him able to come home. I consider both Snowden and Manning heroes. On the other hand, part of me also believes that Snowden should stand trial, so that the people can decide if whistleblowing was correct in this instance.

You just painted the UCMJ as biased. I really hope you have something to back that up. And we're talking about Manning's case here. Show me how he didn't receive what was due.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This isn't some moment of compassion Obama is showing here, people. I also think if he was a one-term president he would've commuted or possibly pardoned Manning altogether at the end of the 1st term.

This is about encouraging soldiers to disobey and also to bring this sick individual back into the limelight, as if he's gaining cred with the LGBwhatvers by doing it.

This is always Obama's motive, to serve the destruction of Western Conservatism and promote his progressive agenda.

Ahhh! THREE DAYS!
edit on 17-1-2017 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Obama commutes much of Chelsea Manning's sentence

Hot damn!

Free sex change.

Free room and board.

Sentence commuted!

Not surprising in the least.

Back to calling Trump a traitor, and commutation of a TRAITORS SENTENCE.

Manning is not a traitor Trump is closer to being a traitor than Manning. Trump isn't even in office and he tries to give away our military equipment like when he told China to keep that drone.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Doctor Smith

Agreed - Obama does nothing by accident nor to be nice.
Everything he does has a political motivation.
He did not release Manning to be generous.
I guess we will have to wait to see what he has up his sleeves.

My first guess is that he is about to pardon Clinton (as I mentioned).

He might also be calling Snowden's bluff to see if he turns himself in.
If Snowden goes back on his word, then the left has more ammo to discredit him.
If Snowden turns himself in, then Trump will be in a tough spot.
If he goes too easy on him, it will look like he is rewarding Snowden for the leaks.

You are confused...

Snowden made no promises...Assange did.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join