It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imaginary Friend (s)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
And yes, I too wonder if it is a ghost or spirit or something..hence it wouldn't be imaginary at all..
Very sorry for your loss..
That makes me think Bob was definately there for her as comfort and maybe he knew what others didn't know at that time.
Mag

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I didn't just have an imaginary friend, I had a whole slew of them...a brother and a sister named Lisa & Team (??) and their dog and cat.
Roundabouts when I was 3 or so, I insisted Lisa & Team eat dinner with us, and wouldn't eat until my mother set them both a place at the table.
Being a new mom, this worried her. Took me to the doctor and all, and she was told that I was just an unusually intelligent and creative child.

Looking back, I was a shy kid, so it was hard for me to make friends. All my imaginary friends went away once I started elementary school.

Instead of worrying about it, consider that it may just be a sign of a budding artist or author. When I write today, the characters I create on paper are just as real to me as Lisa and Team were back in the day.
Unless you sister is manifesting other signs of mental illness, Mag, IMO it's nothing to worry about.
If her friend "tells her" to do bad things, or to hurt herself or others, then that's something to get checked out. But if this is just a companion that she plays with or talks to when she's upset or stressed, then I think she's okay.

If it'll help, Mag, here are some links for you.
health.discovery.com...
familyfun.go.com...
www.stlouischildrens.org...
www.parentsplace.com...

-B.

AF1

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thats exactly how some of my family viewed it. Maybe he was there just to comfort her.

I dont think that having an imaginary friend was detrimental though. Me and my other sister used to play around with my little sis about 'Bob', and she did eventually grow out of it if it was nothing more than an imaginary friend.

I also found it odd that nyeff's son's buddy was named Bobby. What were some other names of peoples friends?

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I didnt have any imaginary friends but I had a stuffed animal dog that I considered a "real" friend and would take it everywhere until I was like 5. I would talk to him and everything and would pretend he was talking back. So I guess that stuffed animal was my imaginary friend. I dont think its aything to worry about unless like banshee said the imaginary friend is telling her to "burn things" or "cut people".

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Majestica can you tell me more about the friend and how your sister describes her?

Also how is she getting along in school with others and
how are her grades?

Are there any physical requirements such as setting an extra plate for dinner that are issues with her?

Have you observed anything extraordinary such as precognition?

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Oh yeah I was going to tell you my oldest daughter has an invisible friend named Shadow....Sometimes she manifests "Shadow" as her reflection or her shadow. Some were asking about precog...she doesn't show any signs of precog but she is able to basically read my mind and a few others(all under controlled variables, using cards, symbols, etc.). My youngest daughter as of now shows no signs of this and does not have an invisible friend.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Its actually a factor but before I respond at length K_os
I would like to hear from Magestica as she did start the thread (if you do not mind).

Anyone else notice this issue with respect to imaginary
friends?

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
you mean we're not supposed to have them if we're not kids?

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well good bye kokomo joe, good times smokin weed and gettin drunk....

*cries in the corner*

thanks a lot mag!!! throws rocks

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
Although I did talk to some of my toys *but I still do that now*
It's ok though, they rarely answer me back...

...you better watch that...I might have to issue you some anti-psychotics...

I used to talk to my toys as well...one I think I told ya about some time...my teddybear sorta stuffed rag-doll called Zibadee...he looked after me when I was a kid...kept an eye out for any 'bad things' and kept me safe. I used to talk to him before I went to sleep...strange...I would swear I could 'sense' him in my head almost 'responding', telling me not to worry (hmmm...might need a course of Seroquel myself), that he would watch over me during the night.

Faithful old pal of mine was Zibadee...I've still got him actually, at my parents house, might pick him up tomorrow when I go up north and see my folks...he can come back down to Wellington with me and watch over me again.

Wouldn't mind one day giving to another child when the times right...then Zibadee can watch over them too.

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
magestica, I'm no psychologist but I play one on TV...nah just kidding but my college roomate was a psych major and his view , I can relate was that these imaginary friends that children have can also be an imaginary symbol of their inner voice. Like the way adults reason to themselves. This may be the beginning of the formation of inner ability to reason. Some may need this visulization step and some may not for whatever reasons so the imaginary friend may actually represent the formation of the child's personality and logic patterns. He supposed that once this dialogue was able to be accomplished in the mind that the visualization is no longer needed and thus the imaginary friend moves aside for a more independant ability to reason. What we call talking to ourselves.

Just a theory he was ranting about and not the complete one either as my memory isn't that good and this was 10 years ago. I don't back it as gospel but just something to think about.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This whole thread made me break out my old "Calvin and Hobbes" books (Too bad that Waterson retired from the cartoon business!)

But, the entire storyline is very much along the lines of what Mags is talking about: A 6 year old boy with a stuffed tiger that is alive when they are alone... scary thing is, the tiger is the smarter of the two of them...

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronDragon
This whole thread made me break out my old "Calvin and Hobbes" books (Too bad that Waterson retired from the cartoon business!)

But, the entire storyline is very much along the lines of what Mags is talking about: A 6 year old boy with a stuffed tiger that is alive when they are alone... scary thing is, the tiger is the smarter of the two of them...

I have every single calvin and hobbes book ever....that was and forever will be the best cartoon/comic

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toltec
Majestica can you tell me more about the friend and how your sister describes her?

Also how is she getting along in school with others and
how are her grades?

Are there any physical requirements such as setting an extra plate for dinner that are issues with her?

Have you observed anything extraordinary such as precognition?

My sister doesn't describe her, we never could get her to, all we know is the 'friend' is female and her name is KOKO.
She does well in school and she's quite the busy body, so she atleast talks to all the kids in her grade, but maybe only a few close friends. I've been overseas away from her for a year though, so things may have changed a bit from last year??
No requirements, but she bathed with her, she road in the car with her, she slept in the bed with her and she talked to her quite a bit up until last year, then it faded alot, but she's still around just not as much.
My sister is quite overwhelming with the things she says and knows so I would definately say yes. That's why I asked about the psychic connection somewhere in this thread.
Thank you Toltec, look forward to your reply

Magestica

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Young children who have paranormal capacities sense the stigma with respect to the issue from those around them.

By creating an imaginary friend the impetus of that stigma is alleviated, now it is not them having extrasensory experiences it is someone else.

Majestica, this conclusion can only be considered valid in a case where there is a clear indication the child does have some form of Extra Sensory Perception.

What you have presented does allude to that, with regard to having few friends that she has 1 or 2
good friends is not abnormal.

What I would recommend is de-emphasizing the uniqueness of her Extra Sensory Experiences from the context of being surprised when it happens (facial expressions, body language) of significant others (parents).

In other words reacting less in respect to it being a surprised or something scary. Positive reinforcement
is also not necessarily the proper thing to do.

Its important to realize that whatever reaction is
made will be reflected in her life outside parental
control. That could cause problems for her with
respect to pier relationships.

Part of the reason that she is emphasizing her imaginary friend less is because her parents are
less prone to react either positively or negatively
to the paranormal events (they have gotten used to
it).

Its not a matter of being serious about it but rather
expressing a more casual affect, as far as punishment I would not recommend that at all.

Also Majestica, I want to stress that more conventional methodologies with respect to addressing this issues should be reviewed. They offer insights into matters which are relevant to addressing this matter.

The advise provided by Banshee and astrocreep should not be ignored simply because you feel what I have explained fits your particular situation.

In conclusion what I recommend is a "Holistic" approach which takes into consideration all potential conclusions drawing from each what appears to fit.

This is not a diagnosis but a summation based upon what information you have provided.

Enjoy the net

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
mig.lathwood.co.uk...

Here is my friend?

Tut Tut

[Edited on 27-6-2003 by Toltec]

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Alot of what you've stated I already kind of figured, sometimes it's just good to have validation or someone elses thoughts that somewhat match what I think or feel about it all..I'm really not worried about her, I know she's normal *as normal as normal get's* I was way more concerned when we first noticed her imaginary friend but as time went by I just kind of got used to it as did everyone else who knew about it..

I really had wanted to hear others stories like if they had one when they were younger and if any of their kids might have one or had one..and I did hear many from you all..and it added comfort as well and was interesting to read all of your stories about it.

Even though I may not reply to everyone here, I have read all of your post and sometimes I go back and read them all over again. I'm just limited with time, as I'm no longer on my computer, so I can't always address each and everyone of you-but that does not mean you've been ignored

Thank you all for your replies here..
Magestica

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I have 2 of those guys living with me.

Dru

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I had two imaginary friends when i was little. Hoppy and Rudy. A Kangaroo and a Reindeer. They used to live in the woods out side my house and when we went places they'd use their super speed to run along side the car. I don't remember quite when i stopped talking to them....

Though I do know I got adult Imaginary friends when I was a teenager! LOL Of course they're not REALLY imaginary friends like Hoppy and Rudy were. I don't really see them. i just imagine them when I'm writing fanfiction. It's really quite fun picturing hot guys from TV being in my house and actually talking to me. Or walking the dog with me. Or sitting on the lawn swing with me. I just gotta watch the talking to them out loud thing....It gets me weird looks when I'm in public!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join