It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: facedye

A teenager's mental capabilities are far from fully developed. The human brain doesn't reach maturity until the age of 21. What develops last? Impulse control.

please find me the section where I referred to teenagers being fully developed.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: facedye

originally posted by: InTheLight

Contact the Director's of these college programs and ask them if it does any good.

you want me to contact the person that's lobbying for these programs to be included in their college to find out factual information?

...I already see a huge problem here.

I also see a huge problem with the fact that you've made a pretty declarative statement and are not willing to substantiate it with anything you know to be true.

I did not make that declarative statement, the college program directors are making that statement and there are many of them. It is just some of you don't want to hear it.

you're directly dodging my question on the assertion you just made. you're not even trying to defend it.

if you'd like I can ask it again.

If you want me to type a wall of text from my and others' life experiences of many forms of violence at the hands of others, I don't have the time, nor is it necessary because you disagree with me.

Let me say that I absolutely believe the college violence statistics and the need for these programs to educate.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: InTheLight

Right, ask phillip morris about smokes 25 years ago. You are making less sense.

You are dodging.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

How is learning anger management trampling on your beliefs and cultural norms?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

i think you're paying attention to their age and not taking into consideration their intellectual and physical capacities.

So you're not saying that it's okay to hit a teenager because of the state of their mental development?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I think we are talking about actions and consequences.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Even HuffPo agrees that the study to which you refer (that was of only 2 campuses and also had a less that 20% response to the students contacted, which supports the idea that only those who felt they were a victim of said violence responded) is problematic and drives a false narrative.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is just crap.

This is like when a teacher has a little girl who sits all quietly and prim and proper and quietly does her seat work and had a little boy who wants to wiggle around and turn his school supplies into cars or trucks or *gasp* guns, she declares that the little boy is somehow not behaving properly and not right in the head and he should be medicated.

Yes, it happens. What's really going on is that the little boy is a little boy and the little girl is a little girl and they are naturally different in their basic behaviors.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

I did not link a study, please clarify. If you are referring to statistics, then count in the 82-90% of cases never reported.
edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
This is just crap.

This is like when a teacher has a little girl who sits all quietly and prim and proper and quietly does her seat work and had a little boy who wants to wiggle around and turn his school supplies into cars or trucks or *gasp* guns, she declares that the little boy is somehow not behaving properly and not right in the head and he should be medicated.

Yes, it happens. What's really going on is that the little boy is a little boy and the little girl is a little girl and they are naturally different in their basic behaviors.

That is a ridiculous generalization as my niece squirms twice as much as any boy.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

i think you're paying attention to their age and not taking into consideration their intellectual and physical capacities.

So you're not saying that it's okay to hit a teenager because of the state of their mental development?

that's right, I'm not saying that someone should be hit just because they're 13 and think like a 13 year old.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Little boys generally have ants in their pants--recess is a good thing to burn off energy.
edit on 17-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ants are non-discriminatory.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

The oft claimed 1-in-5 statistic comes from an AAU CSA study done in 2005/released in 2006. I know of no other study that purported the same statistic.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Contact the Director's of these college programs and ask them if it does any good.

you want me to contact the person that's lobbying for these programs to be included in their college to find out factual information?

...I already see a huge problem here.

I also see a huge problem with the fact that you've made a pretty declarative statement and are not willing to substantiate it with anything you know to be true.

I did not make that declarative statement, the college program directors are making that statement and there are many of them. It is just some of you don't want to hear it.

you're directly dodging my question on the assertion you just made. you're not even trying to defend it.

if you'd like I can ask it again.

If you want me to type a wall of text from my and others' life experiences of many forms of violence at the hands of others, I don't have the time, nor is it necessary because you disagree with me.

Let me say that I absolutely believe the college violence statistics and the need for these programs to educate.

now you're also deflecting, and distancing yourself from the original statement you stood behind.

allow me to restate my requests:

please show me one college program that has turned a violent, bumbling fool of a man into a well respected member of society.

please show me one example of how ongoing violent behavior self corrects itself upon maturity.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Well considering a 19 year old still has an underdeveloped brain, is it okay to hit them?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

The oft claimed 1-in-5 statistic comes from an AAU CSA study done in 2005/released in 2006. I know of no other study that purported the same statistic.

I did not post that stat someone else did. But going from my experiences of the past 55 years, I would say that is on the very low side.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Advantage

How is learning anger management trampling on your beliefs and cultural norms?

LOL If thats ALL it was and given to who needs it most, then it wouldnt of course. Do you know we already have programs for anger management? Counselors at most if not all schools and colleges? But we need another course for the same thing, right? Your anger management is needing safe spaces and etc. THAT is absolutely foreign to the culture of my birth or the culture of my raising/education. The ones who need it the most arent going to step foot in that. Youre spinning your wheels and moving forward in the demasculinization of men. If a person is college age and hasnt learned at what point violence is acceptable, we also already have methods to deal with that. WHen you have liberal college age women and men.... and instructors/etc.. screaming that how a man sits comfortably is a microaggression.. I have to wonder just what they understand aggression to be. Just what understanding do they have of men at all...

Anyway, there is no real discussion or trade of ideas here in this thread. People are trying but its almost as if the OP just wants validation and not a frank and naked discussion. I dont agree with you, so I cant validate you.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Depends on their actions. But yes, they are old enough and are capable of assault, so earning a punch in the puss.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Luckily anecdote is unimportant, and many disagree with you, including many women who feel that such trivialisation led to the view that the statistic was so unbelievable it directly causes a push-back effect whereby genuine sexual violence is met with suspicion. By no means am I stating that there is no sexual violence, or a problem with it, on campuses, for clarification.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join