It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: facedye

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

From the opening post:

Men often resort to violence to resolve anger because that is the only emotion "they" have been socialized to use.

...socialized to use...programmed to use.

but this is a false statement. women are socialized to be violent as well.

It is a true statement from the college.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think they could do a much better job making that distinction.

I think there's a very good reason why they're not making it - namely because they're biased, and more than likely sexist as well.

this article is absolutely ridiculous and out of touch with how the real world works.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Youd think the WOMEN of these areas would be protesting this thing or getting involved....

Arent women tired of dating or being around men who arent men?

Arent they tired of being involved with guys who PMS harder than they do?

Arent they tired of males who will need a "safe space" if something unfortunate happens instead of being a protector?

Arent they tired of the whiny, emotionally fragile, needy masses of the male gender?

Better step up ladies or the era of the Chivalrous, "I got this", "lead by example", "Stand in the Gap" man is GONE!

I'm not sure you understand the point of removing toxic elements out of learned behaviors.

Many of the positive traits you listed aren't "toxic". And none of the negative traits you listed have anything to do with removing the toxic elements.

This is the knee-jerk reaction many people get when touching this subject. They automatically assume it's about them. I know you are a decent man. I imagine if you went through this course, you would maybe get an introspective look at some of your own behaviors you haven't considered very deeply before but, overall, you would realize that "toxic masculinity" is a bad thing and you will understand that you have always realized it is bad but perhaps never labeled it before.

In other words, these classes probably aren't about men like you.

Perhaps.....

And yes it IS a knee jerk reaction, because through the media and other avenues weve been exposed to what seems to be the condemning of anything masculine to a greater or lesser extent......

this particular instance may not be as rabid as what we have seen before, so yes it was a knee jerk reaction on my part admittedly....

There are behaviors that are definitely wrong, and there are for sure a lot of youth out there who dont know what it means to be a man, and for some reason, think think that being hyper-aggressive is the definition.....I agree that is wrong.

It seems to me that more now days than ever, we are seeing the extremes of both sides more prevalently ....

My dad use to say "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that always stayed with me, I feel that sort of thinking has gone by the way side..

Thank you for the compliment by the way

Oh my word, totally! The conflation with which many young men perceive hyper-aggressiveness and masculinity is the majority of what they mean by "toxic". I think you nailed it.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

From the opening post:

Men often resort to violence to resolve anger because that is the only emotion "they" have been socialized to use.

yes, and the statement itself is false. it does not have any logical weight, nor consistency.

men use their fists to resolve disputes. women do too.

violence is a fact of life. believing that it is something that can reasonably be suppressed or done away with entirely is a pipe dream.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

From the opening post:

yes, and the statement itself is false. it does not have any logical weight, nor consistency.

violence is a fact of life. believing that it is something that can reasonably be suppressed or done away with entirely is a pipe dream.

The violence they are referring to is not limited to fist fights.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
Soon we'll need to have Misanthropy 101 to handle the influx.

Remember just be how women want you to be and don't ask questions!

Ummm...That's right...effeminate...lispish...Nancyboys...That's what women want of their men...

Until of course 50 Shades of..."historical romance"...and it's attendant rape scenario's that women LOVE to digest with every turn of the phrased page...

Then after the self flagellation is over...it's...BACK to "Walter Mittyianism" with you...post haste...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Toxic masculinity... yummy. Like when you go to a UFC fight... the moment you walk into the arena you can taste the masculinity. Oh wait.. thats INtoxicating masculinity. Same thing.. whatever. Its wonderful.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

True it is against the law, but when you have no record. And plenty of witnesses see the "assault" of pop being spit on a 4-5 year old child, the law will see it your way.

You must have loved it when Obama "had a red line" that was not to be crossed. He decided to make threats and not back them up. Cool HUH?
Obama: No Regrets on Syria ‘Red Line’
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

From the opening post:

ok - what other kinds of violence are they referring to?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

True it is against the law, but when you have no record. And plenty of witnesses see the "assault" of pop being spit on a 4-5 year old child, the law will see it your way.

You must have loved it when Obama "had a red line" that was not to be crossed. He decided to make threats and not back them up. Cool HUH?
www.breitbart.com...

So, when a 4-5 year old child is spat on violent physical assault on a 12-13 year old child is justified? Is that your stance?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

So, when a 4-5 year old child is spat on violent physical assault on a 12-13 year old child is justified? Is that your stance?

yes, sometimes teenagers get beat up and deserve it too.

a human being can survive a punch or two, ya know.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

From the opening post:

ok - what other kinds of violence are they referring to?

This is the full statement -

“Men will often resort to violence to resolve conflict because anger is the only emotion that they have been socialized to express,” a description for the school’s “Unlearning Toxic Masculinity” initiatives states. “BWell is investing in creating safe spaces for men to unpack all of the things they have learned about masculinity and what it means to be a man. The goal is to help those socialized as men to unlearn some of the notions that have led to such profound harm being enacted towards others and towards themselves.”

...uncontrolled anger towards others...that would include everyone not just other men.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

Being spit on or called a name should not elicit physical violence - teenagers are children.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

Being spit on or called a name should not elicit physical violence - teenagers are children.

"should not"? sure, I agree that it "should not" elicit physical violence.

unfortunately our our nature, our biology, our history, our sentiments, our emotional complexes, our philosophies, our mental states, our perceptions of ourselves, and our sense of self respect don't always let us act how we "should."

I hope you consider that you're advocating non-violence in a situation where almost anyone, man or woman, would feel the natural need to get violent.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Sorry, but when a young person-over 18- spits soda on your kid and then laughs-punch.

My wife would be furious and unpleasantly surprised if I stood there looking for a customized broom closet to use as a safe place.

Don't know what your situation is, but there is social rules. Violate them and there are consequences.
edit on 17-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

unfortunately our our nature, our biology, our history, our sentiments, our emotional complexes, our philosophies, our mental states, our perceptions of ourselves, and our sense of self respect don't always let us act how we "should."

I hope you consider that you're advocating non-violence in a situation where almost anyone, man or woman, would feel the natural need to get violent.

You are condoning violence against children, something I would never condone.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

not children

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Sorry, but when a young person-over 18- spits soda on your kid and then laughs-punch.

My wife would be furious and unpleasantly surprised if I stood there looking for a customized broom closet to use a safe place.

Don't know what your situation is, but there is social rules. Violate them and there are consequences.

Now it is over 18 - what if that person was 17?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com...

You are condoning violence against children, something I would never condone.

But you are condoning poor behavior from teenagers go unpunished.

Unless you think a kind gentle explanation of what they did wrong and how it made you feel is enough to prevent it in the future?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Punch

Edit, we are talking, of course you weren't there, but a full grown male that was acting like a idiot and took it too far. If you disagree that's fine. In your world there is going to be alot of bullying.
edit on 17-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join