It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: starwarsisreal
There is a major difference between Patriarchy and masculinity.

That might be the wisest goddam sentence I've read on ATS in a long while.

Yes, it may be they are trying to take the toxic patriarchy programming out of the man.

I agree with that, as well. That is why the distinction is so important. When members here just take a surface glance at a topic like this, they immediately make all these assumptions based on tropes they believe about "liberal colleges".

I live in a super liberal area and the men are still men. But many of them are just better. By that I mean that many hold to the positive traits of classic masculinity (even if it's just a role) yet discard the toxic parts. They are the kind of men that classes like these are aiming to mold.

Men who fear losing their toxic masculine traits aren't carrying this concept out far enough past getting triggered.

These concepts are not saying the masculinity is toxic. They are saying there are toxic elements in artificial masculine traits (that have been taught and are not inherent). Why does being aware of them threaten the fragile male ego so much?

I agree with your non-triggerd take on this.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If, and that is a huge if, that is what they are teaching.

I will hope to see a youtube video of the shenanigans that are going on in these PC classes.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Yes, it may be they are trying to take the toxic patriarchy programming out of the man.

I agree with that, as well. That is why the distinction is so important. When members here just take a surface glance at a topic like this, they immediately make all these assumptions based on tropes they believe about "liberal colleges".

I live in a super liberal area and the men are still men. But many of them are just better. By that I mean that many hold to the positive traits of classic masculinity (even if it's just a role) yet discard the toxic parts. They are the kind of men that classes like these are aiming to mold.

Men who fear losing their toxic masculine traits aren't carrying this concept out far enough past getting triggered.

These concepts are saying the masculinity is toxic. They are saying there are toxic elements in artificial masculine traits (that have been taught and are not inherent). Why does being aware of them threaten the fragile male ego so much?

I'm sure you'd be all for other people telling you what parts of femininity are toxic and what parts are worth holding onto.

lol

I would listen, sure. But that's sort of the whole point. We are talking about "taught" roles. Men are taught their toxic masculine traits by our patriarchal system just as women are. But the roles men are taught are meant to oppress (even if subtly) women and sustain the artificial dynamics we are finally starting to shed. Most traits of "toxic femininity" are responses to that dynamic.

This is what I mean when I tell men that they are also victims of an institutionalized patriarchy.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

These concepts are not saying the masculinity is toxic. They are saying there are toxic elements in artificial masculine traits (that have been taught and are not inherent). Why does being aware of them threaten the fragile male ego so much?

are you sure they're not at least passively hinting at their own bias - that masculinity *is* toxic? they use these two words almost interchangeably:

“Join us in a collective examination of the histories and legacies that shape present day masculinities. Through a day of presentations, panels, workshops, and artistic expression, learn how to engage systems of power,” the advertisement states, noting that students will be allowed to attend free of charge.

Similarly, Ithaca College will host a workshop on “masculinity and violence” during its MLK Week celebrations, where students will “examine hegemonic masculinity and its role as the wheel that rotates a cycle of violence” while empowering “willing individuals to begin to recognize, acknowledge, own, and disrupt the toxicity of manhood in order to end violence.”

hmm.. "disrupt the toxicity of manhood" ..

I don't think it's so much about the male ego not wanting to entertain these notions out of fragility, as much as it is about these concepts being mostly BS to any adult male who's had a decent education and loving parents.

what exactly is "toxic" about manhood that can't also be conversely or relatively discussed about womanhood?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes, if you are not "aggressive" in life you will not be all you can be. I have talked to very old sick people, you know what some of the biggest regrets I hear are.
Not taking chances-being aggressive and going after life. I don't think someone is going to look back and wish they had taken more time in safe places or pondered if they are chest thumping.

originally posted by: DBCowboy
What is the benefit of emasculating men, other than having a great alto section in your school choir?

Instead of being "more", schools are endorsing everyone being less. Because everyone can be less than they are, but not everyone can be more than they are.

To me, they are breeding followers and teaching people not to be leaders. They are teaching people not to stand above the rest.

edit on 17-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Youd think the WOMEN of these areas would be protesting this thing or getting involved....

Arent women tired of dating or being around men who arent men?

Arent they tired of being involved with guys who PMS harder than they do?

Arent they tired of males who will need a "safe space" if something unfortunate happens instead of being a protector?

Arent they tired of the whiny, emotionally fragile, needy masses of the male gender?

Better step up ladies or the era of the Chivalrous, "I got this", "lead by example", "Stand in the Gap" man is GONE!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Man you don't know # about women do you? LMAO

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: facedye

are you sure they're not at least passively hinting at their own bias - that masculinity *is* toxic? they use these two words almost interchangeably:

“Join us in a collective examination of the histories and legacies that shape present day masculinities. Through a day of presentations, panels, workshops, and artistic expression, learn how to engage systems of power,” the advertisement states, noting that students will be allowed to attend free of charge.

Similarly, Ithaca College will host a workshop on “masculinity and violence” during its MLK Week celebrations, where students will “examine hegemonic masculinity and its role as the wheel that rotates a cycle of violence” while empowering “willing individuals to begin to recognize, acknowledge, own, and disrupt the toxicity of manhood in order to end violence.”

hmm.. "disrupt the toxicity of manhood" ..

I don't think it's so much about the male ego not wanting to entertain these notions out of fragility, as much as it is about these concepts being mostly BS to any adult male who's had a decent education and loving parents.

what exactly is "toxic" about manhood that can't also be conversely or relatively discussed about womanhood?

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think they could do a much better job making that distinction.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You're right.

I think people are using passive and aggressive and engineering these terms.

Being aggressive is not a bad thing.

I don't understand why everyone is promoting being passive other than passive people are easier to control and manipulate.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Better step up ladies or the era of the Chivalrous, "I got this", "lead by example", "Stand in the Gap" man is GONE!

These traits are not necessarily toxic depending on intent (such as leadership and giving help when help is asked for), many other traits are.

From the opening post:

Men often resort to violence to resolve anger because that is the only emotion "they" have been socialized to use.

...socialized to use...programmed to use.
edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If people want to get college loans to take classes like this then they have no right to complain about the minimum wage job they are working at after graduation and the massive college loan debt they have to pay off.

classes like this are a complete waste of money and will do nothing to help advance career goals so, the next time someone whines about their college loan debt picture in your mind that person sitting in a classroom learning about "Unlearning Toxic Masculinity", if you can prevent yourself from laughing in their face then you`re a better person than I.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Youd think the WOMEN of these areas would be protesting this thing or getting involved....

Arent they tired of males who will need a "safe space" if something unfortunate happens instead of being a protector?

Arent they tired of the whiny, emotionally fragile, needy masses of the male gender?

I'm not sure you understand the point of removing toxic elements out of learned behaviors.

Many of the positive traits you listed aren't "toxic". And none of the negative traits you listed have anything to do with removing the toxic elements.

This is the knee-jerk reaction many people get when touching this subject. They automatically assume it's about them. I know you are a decent man. I imagine if you went through this course, you would maybe get an introspective look at some of your own behaviors you haven't considered very deeply before but, overall, you would realize that "toxic masculinity" is a bad thing and you will understand that you have always realized it is bad but perhaps never labeled it before.

In other words, these classes probably aren't about men like you.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault found that 1 in 5 college students are the victims of sexual assault. The ACLU reports that as many as 95% of college sexual assault cases go unreported. Men are by far much more likely to be the culprit in any sexual assault. These facts alone should be enough to show that there is an issue with "toxic masculinity" on college campuses.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tsubaki

Wrong, wait til someone in line calls your wife a bitch that can be a wild ride....

Or I saw a group of young people being rowdy in a line at a movie theater-long story short, they ended up spitting soda pop on a couples small child. I can guarantee after that dad got done with that guy he won't be playing grab ass inline.

There is a natural order to keep idiots in line. If we wish that men go to safe places and ponder life instead of making it clear what happens when the line is crossed, we will be sorry.

edit on 17-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki

Man you don't know # about women do you? LMAO

My girlfriend would vehemently disagree with you........

You might want to be more specific about that......

Ive found that any "man" who thinks he knows everything about women really doesnt know sh!t.......NONE OF US DO!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

Hot DAMN!

I have actually lived long enough to see the usual suspects move from social engineering to gender engineering.

Gotta be nice to get to redefine pretty much everything around us to suit our COLLECTIVE wants.

Meanwhile back in the real world.

Real life is a SNIP.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Wrong, wait til someone in line calls your wife a bitch that can be a wild ride....

Or I saw a group of young people being rowdy in a line at a movie theater-long story short, they ended up spitting soda pop on a couples small child. I can guarantee after that dad got done with that guy he won't be playing grab ass inline.

There is a natural order to keep idiots in line. If we wish that men go to safe places and ponder life instead of making it clear what happens when the line is crossed, we will be sorry.

You are condoning violence towards adolescents and young people where some are not fully cooked yet, and whenever you or yours is called a name - that is violent assault and against the law.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I'm not sure you understand the point of removing toxic elements out of learned behaviors.

Many of the positive traits you listed aren't "toxic". And none of the negative traits you listed have anything to do with removing the toxic elements.

This is the knee-jerk reaction many people get when touching this subject. They automatically assume it's about them. I know you are a decent man. I imagine if you went through this course, you would maybe get an introspective look at some of your own behaviors you haven't considered very deeply before but, overall, you would realize that "toxic masculinity" is a bad thing and you will understand that you have always realized it is bad but perhaps never labeled it before.

In other words, these classes probably aren't about men like you.

Perhaps.....

And yes it IS a knee jerk reaction, because through the media and other avenues weve been exposed to what seems to be the condemning of anything masculine to a greater or lesser extent......

this particular instance may not be as rabid as what we have seen before, so yes it was a knee jerk reaction on my part admittedly....

There are behaviors that are definitely wrong, and there are for sure a lot of youth out there who dont know what it means to be a man, and for some reason, think think that being hyper-aggressive is the definition.....I agree that is wrong.

It seems to me that more now days than ever, we are seeing the extremes of both sides more prevalently ....

My dad use to say "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that always stayed with me, I feel that sort of thinking has gone by the way side..

Thank you for the compliment by the way
edit on 1/17/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

From the opening post:

Men often resort to violence to resolve anger because that is the only emotion "they" have been socialized to use.

...socialized to use...programmed to use.

but this is a false statement. women are socialized to be violent as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

You are condoning violence towards adolescents and young people where some are not fully cooked yet, and whenever you or yours is called a name - that is violent assault and against the law.

it is naïve to believe that anyone can "unlearn" violence from a human society.

the mere idea that this is even possible is absurd, and should not be tolerated. it is fantasy - nothing more than a work of fiction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join