It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JD163

originally posted by: InTheLight

a reply to: InTheLight

Case in point, my niece teaches grade three and some immigrant boys from the middle east expect girls to pick up after them and when my niece demands they pick up after themselves in class they are confused and the father then visits her to challenge that demand.

That a case of cultural difference, and you know how it goes when you try to impose change especially on a different culture,...to you such behavior is vile and digesting, to them,....that's my way of life who are you to tell me that your culture is superior? ....Now, i'm not saying that i approve or condone it,....but i understand that such issues are sensitive and difficult to approach,.....What I'm advocating is instead of condemning and imposing,....first try to understand their mindset, and by living among us, show them, this is the American way without suggesting that it the right or superior way of life.

It will take time, the civil rights movement wasn't won overnight,....

It is part and parcel of patriarchial toxicity here or there...girls and women are not servants to men.

Yes I agree, the issue is how to make them understand that when it is prescribe in their religion? Telling them that their religion is false and they should convert? both you and I know how that would work out.

Yeah, the same way it did for the traditional/religious folk here in the West, over time...bringing the BS to the forefront, ending denial, not tolerating injustice...etc. I could go on and on.

The same strategy might not be advisable, when dealing with a culture that is prone to attack and die for their believes, when even a drawing of their prophet is enough to incite them to murderous level,....reasoning and logic?

Unless you are willing to destroy the entire culture,...wipe out roughly 1.5 billion ppl,....when religion is involved, reason and logic does not matter....

It worked here in the West and just how long can they fight against our culture and beliefs here? The younger generations and subsequent generations will assimilate quickly.

When you only have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail,....Islam is a totally different animal,....the prescribe punishment for Apostasy is death.....How long can they fight? since the time of Mohammad roughly since the mid 7th century

Those that grow up here would adopt and assimilate like you say,....its those back in the mid east that would be the issue

The issue may also be those that come here as international students and think they can act as they please.

Then those that do so would soon be invited to a nice long stay in a state pen,...courtesy of uncle sam

Only if the victims report it, which for many varied reasons, they do not. So, why not approach this problem of violence and toxic behaviours from other directions, as the colleges are doing?

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Case in point, my niece teaches grade three and some immigrant boys from the middle east expect girls to pick up after them and when my niece demands they pick up after themselves in class they are confused and the father then visits her to challenge that demand.

That a case of cultural difference, and you know how it goes when you try to impose change especially on a different culture,...to you such behavior is vile and digesting, to them,....that's my way of life who are you to tell me that your culture is superior? ....Now, i'm not saying that i approve or condone it,....but i understand that such issues are sensitive and difficult to approach,.....What I'm advocating is instead of condemning and imposing,....first try to understand their mindset, and by living among us, show them, this is the American way without suggesting that it the right or superior way of life.

It is part and parcel of patriarchial toxicity here or there...girls and women are not servants to men.

Yes I agree, the issue is how to make them understand that when it is prescribe in their religion? Telling them that their religion is false and they should convert? both you and I know how that would work out.

Yeah, the same way it did for the traditional/religious folk here in the West, over time...bringing the BS to the forefront, ending denial, not tolerating injustice...etc. I could go on and on.

The same strategy might not be advisable, when dealing with a culture that is prone to attack and die for their believes, when even a drawing of their prophet is enough to incite them to murderous level,....reasoning and logic?

Unless you are willing to destroy the entire culture,...wipe out roughly 1.5 billion ppl,....when religion is involved, reason and logic does not matter....

It worked here in the West and just how long can they fight against our culture and beliefs here? The younger generations and subsequent generations will assimilate quickly.

When you only have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail,....Islam is a totally different animal,....the prescribe punishment for Apostasy is death.....How long can they fight? since the time of Mohammad roughly since the mid 7th century

Those that grow up here would adopt and assimilate like you say,....its those back in the mid east that would be the issue

The issue may also be those that come here as international students and think they can act as they please.

Then those that do so would soon be invited to a nice long stay in a state pen,...courtesy of uncle sam

Only if the victims report it, which for many varied reasons, they do not. So, why not approach this problem of violence and toxic behaviours from other directions, as the colleges are doing?

Because from experience, people who commit crimes are not going to stop because you ask them politely. people who were victimize by a crime must know that if they don't speak up, nothing can be done,....vigilance on our part instead of wishing for the impossible

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Because from experience, people who commit crimes are not going to stop because you ask them politely. people who were victimize by a crime must know that if they don't speak up, nothing can be done,....vigilance on our part instead of wishing for the impossible

Then perhaps others who care to expand their understanding of toxic behaviours will step in while the violence is in progress to stop it or at the very least challenge it; too many bystanders..."when good men do nothing".

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Then perhaps others who care to expand their understanding of toxic behaviours will step in while the violence is in progress to stop it or at the very least challenge it; too many bystanders..."when good men do nothing".

Bystanders have no obligation at least legally to put themselves in harms way. If they choose to do so, thats on them,...but expecting them to interfere because you disagree with the situation is an entitled attitude.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Maverick7

I freely admit it. Can't spell for crap..........and, I'm on a tablet with a blue tooth keyboard that sucks and for some reason, there's no spell check. You should see what 3 years of law school did to my cursive handwriting. Shoulda taken short-hand.

Whatever.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
“Men will often resort to violence to resolve conflict because anger is the only emotion that they have been socialized to express,”

Statement is false.

YOUNG men resort to violence more often because engaging in physical aggression is seen as cool. Versus mature males who remove themselves from situations that might lead to conflict. Like going to bars that serve neurotoxins and reduce control over one's behavior, who see physical conflict as something to be embarrassed about.

It's perfectly normal for younger guys to act like idiots. They don't need a college class on it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
the pussification of america continues. i really hope this does not become the norm, but im worried for the next gen kids.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't treat women incorrectly but a fist fight is part of life.
Depending on HOW sheltered YOU are.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Your avatar next to that image sums it up perfectly. We would never let someone like this set windows on the crew, they wouldnt last 5 minutes on the job site. Unfortunately wusses like this are becoming more and more common.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Bystanders have no obligation at least legally to put themselves in harms way. If they choose to do so, thats on them,...but expecting them to interfere because you disagree with the situation is an entitled attitude.

It is not an entitled attitude when people step up to help by simply calling the police - there is no need to put yourself in harms way - your thinking that violence is the only way is what these programs are trying to turnaround.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

It is not an entitled attitude when people step up to help by simply calling the police - there is no need to put yourself in harms way - your thinking that violence is the only way is what these programs are trying to turnaround.

Agreed, as a member of society, we should report crime even if we are not legally required to do so IMHO, but that is not what you said

"Then perhaps others who care to expand their understanding of toxic behaviours will step in while the violence is in progress to stop it or at the very least challenge it; too many bystanders..."when good men do nothing"."

The entitled attitude comes from expecting bystanders to "step in while the violence is in progress to stop it or at the very least challenge it"

Stepping up while the violence is in progress to stop it, that is putting yourself in harms way.

How it is my thinking that violence is the only way when I'm just responding to your expectations? Nothing was mention about calling the authorities, which I would agree to

edit on 20-1-2017 by JD163 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JD163

It is what I said...step in as in helping by calling the police during a violent event, or, yes, verbally challenging someone bullying someone else, like some of us do here on ATS. You would, of course, need to judge the situation and step up and offer the appropriate help. I shouldn't have to spell out to you which actions to take to help.
edit on 20-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It is what I said...step in as in helping by calling the police during a violent event, or, yes, verbally challenging someone bullying someone else, like some of do here on ATS. You would, of course, need to judge the situation and step up and offer the appropriate help.

Thats a different msg altogether, nothing was mention about police and the challenge being verbal. Reporting a crime is not stepping in.

Most violent encounters are quick and long over before any arrivals of authorities, even if you call in at the moment when it happens, the response time usually is longer then the incident. If we are talking about 2 people in a fight, you do not call the cops to stop it, only to report it, expecting the cops to break up a fight is not realistic unless there happen to be one nearby.
Verbally challenging only if you want to get involve, and doing it online on ATS is obviously not the same as a real life encounter

And if you are referring to a gunman shooting up a place, you can bet that someone would call 911

And of course, there are ppl who enjoy watching violence, I suspect that is your main concern

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Why should I have to tell you that the best option would be to call the police?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Because step up is ambiguous and taken in this context, one would understand it as get involved. And calling the police may not be the best option. The people involved in such a hypothetical situation may not want the authorities involved.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Because step up is ambiguous and taken in this context, one would understand it as get involved. And calling the police may not be the best option. The people involved in such a hypothetical situation may not want the authorities involved.

Police are trained in handling violent situations, most of us are not. We obviously have different mindsets which your mindset is probably the most common.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Police are trained in handling violent situations, most of us are not. We obviously have different mindsets which your mindset is probably the most common.

True, cops are trained to handle violent encounters, but your whole premise is that the violence must be stop, one way or another, not everyone agrees with that. And having different mindset is a good thing IMO, unless you prefer that we are all clones and think the same way,....how dull would life be?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

True, cops are trained to handle violent encounters, but your whole premise is that the violence must be stop, one way or another, not everyone agrees with that. And having different mindset is a good thing IMO, unless you prefer that we are all clones and think the same way,....how dull would life be?

I wasn't discussing strictly violence must stop, but rather learning how societal programming feeds into toxic behaviour, lack of anger control, etc. of which young (mostly) men and women in colleges obviously need help with because of many issues, one of them includes violence.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I wasn't discussing strictly violence must stop, but rather learning how societal programming feeds into toxic behaviour, lack of anger control, etc. of which young (mostly) men and women in colleges obviously need help with because of many issues, one of them includes violence.

Its also the societal programming narrative that people object to, what you are talking about is people with impulse control issues, people behave differently and would react differently, and pretending that we can teach people not to get angry/why they get angry is hilarious at best. Anger is an emotion that everyone experiences,.....its how you deal with it that matters.....this 'learning how societal programming feeds into toxic behaviour' ...its telling people that your anger issues are due to an external influence, its society fault you can't control yourself...I would much rather that people owned up to their actions and take responsibility instead of feeding them some made up social construct BS

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Its also the societal programming narrative that people object to, what you are talking about is people with impulse control issues, people behave differently and would react differently, and pretending that we can teach people not to get angry/why they get angry is hilarious at best. Anger is an emotion that everyone experiences,.....its how you deal with it that matters.....this 'learning how societal programming feeds into toxic behaviour' ...its telling people that your anger issues are due to an external influence, its society fault you can't control yourself...I would much rather that people owned up to their actions and take responsibility instead of feeding them some made up social construct BS

And you are free to disagree and keep whatever behaviours you want to keep, but for those who want to be better people for others in their lives and society by controlling their anger and identifying BS, like one Canadian veteran with PTSD said recently "I can cry if I want to".

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join