It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: introvert

On the same topic I have seen a lot of violent women over the years.

I would not argue with that.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: seasonal

(hate to tell you) Fist fights do solve problems-and create them. Men are built a certain way, just as women are.

You are correct, there does need to be guardrails on young men, but trying to take the man out of men is going to eventually fail just like the Clintons did.

Having young men recognize potential problem areas and teaching them simple things like conflict resolution does "take the man" out of them. It makes them better members of society.

Well, this is a complex area.

One could reasonably argue that aggressive males, over the span of human history, have actually moulded and formed the societies we live in. To try to educate-out the natural male inclination to compete, to dominate and to win...might have unintended consequences.

Just as trying to educate-out a woman's built-in instincts to bear and care for children might...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
I do so long for the good old days, when real men were masculine and real women were feminine.

Did you actually live in the "good old days"?

It sucked. It was role playing. You had a gender role to play, and you played it or you were ostracized by society.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You raise an interesting issue.

My guess is they offer these type courses for 2 reasons. One is simple window dressing. They seek to appear sensitive, contemporary, trendy, etc. The other is the proliferation of weird useless study programs that lead to Major's in things like "Women's Studys", or "Social Justice Studies". So, what's really going on is they have created new Major Programs that feed into Post-Grad programs that lead to careers in teaching in theses very same programs.

In other words its a business model.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Soon we'll need to have Misanthropy 101 to handle the influx.

Remember just be how women want you to be and don't ask questions!

link   

originally posted by: Annee

I do so long for the good old days, when real men were masculine and real women were feminine.

Did you actually live in the "good old days"?

It sucked. It was role playing. You had a gender role to play, and you played it or you were ostracized by society.

Well, I suppose it goes without saying that I lived through my own formative days...

I never felt like I was playing a role. I was quite comfortable with being a male, and doing "boy" things...came naturally to me.

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

On the same topic I have seen a lot of violent women over the years.

Now I would support a class to take the psycho out of women. IMO, that is more a danger to the future than overly masculine men (whatever that means).

SMH

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You don't like it...don't send your kids to those colleges..I look forward to the collapse of these colleges when the online colleges take off.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: starwarsisreal
There is a major difference between Patriarchy and masculinity.

That might be the wisest goddam sentence I've read on ATS in a long while.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Just as trying to educate-out a woman's built-in instincts to bear and care for children might...

Many women today are choosing not to have children.

It's taken a long time, but its finally socially acceptable without guilt and judgment.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Yes, it may be they are trying to take the toxic patriarchy programming out of the man.

Some interesting reading...

www.stonybrook.edu...
edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

If these sorts of programs can get through to a few of the many meatheaded #sacks running around out there, I'd support it.

There are too many young men out there that are chest-thumping idiots that think they can solve their problems with a fist fight and can be extremely aggressive with women, because they think of themselves as being an alpha male.

what makes you think any chest-thumping young man is going to want to partake in anything remotely like this?

in my opinion, these are spineless exercises spawned out of a generation that preaches acceptance and tolerance over just about anything else. while acceptance and tolerance obviously need to be hallmarks of any first world society, countries still engage in war and brute decisions are still concepts well within the constructs of reality.

it's as if "sticks and stones may break my bones.." is a philosophy whose meaning has been lost in the history of ancient civilizations.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

(hate to tell you) Fist fights do solve problems-and create them. Men are built a certain way, just as women are.

You are correct, there does need to be guardrails on young men, but trying to take the man out of men is going to eventually fail just like the Clintons did.

Having young men recognize potential problem areas and teaching them simple things like conflict resolution does "take the man" out of them. It makes them better members of society.

Well, this is a complex area.

One could reasonably argue that aggressive males, over the span of human history, have actually moulded and formed the societies we live in. To try to educate-out the natural male inclination to compete, to dominate and to win...might have unintended consequences.

I don't think they are trying to take any of that out of men.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

What is the benefit of emasculating men, other than having a great alto section in your school choir?

Instead of being "more", schools are endorsing everyone being less. Because everyone can be less than they are, but not everyone can be more than they are.

To me, they are breeding followers and teaching people not to be leaders. They are teaching people not to stand above the rest.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: facedye

what makes you think any chest-thumping young man is going to want to partake in anything remotely like this?

True. Many men will probably not take notice that they are that type of man.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Yes, it may be they are trying to take the toxic patriarchy programming out of the man.

I agree with that, as well. That is why the distinction is so important. When members here just take a surface glance at a topic like this, they immediately make all these assumptions based on tropes they believe about "liberal colleges".

I live in a super liberal area and the men are still men. But many of them are just better. By that I mean that many hold to the positive traits of classic masculinity (even if it's just a role) yet discard the toxic parts. They are the kind of men that classes like these are aiming to mold.

Men who fear losing their toxic masculine traits aren't carrying this concept out far enough past getting triggered.

These concepts are not saying the masculinity is toxic. They are saying there are toxic elements in artificial masculine traits (that have been taught and are not inherent). Why does being aware of them threaten the fragile male ego so much?
edit on 17-1-2017 by Abysha because: clarifying

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I agree with that, as well. That is why the distinction is so important. When members here just take a surface glance at a topic like this, they immediately make all these assumptions based on tropes they believe about "liberal colleges".

I live in a super liberal area and the men are still men. But many of them are just better. By that I mean that many hold to the positive traits of classic masculinity (even if it's just a role) yet discard the toxic parts. They are the kind of men that classes like these are aiming to mold.

Men who fear losing their toxic masculine traits aren't carrying this concept out far enough past getting triggered.

These concepts are saying the masculinity is toxic. They are saying there are toxic elements in artificial masculine traits (that have been taught and are not inherent). Why does being aware of them threaten the fragile male ego so much?

I'm sure you'd be all for other people telling you what parts of femininity are toxic and what parts are worth holding onto.

lol

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well there really ought to be toxic femininity classes, that crap is waaay to dramatic and involves more than a couple people in a fist fight. Toxic femininity spreads like a cancer and often leads to men expressing "toxic masculinity".

link   
Lol if anything is toxic it's Turd wave feminism.

#DIAF

link   

originally posted by: Annee

Many women today are choosing not to have children.

It's taken a long time, but its finally socially acceptable without guilt and judgment.

Exactly...

Drifting toward a world where men do not feel obligated to be good fathers and husbands, and women are somehow being objectified if they are viewed as potential mothers and wives.

Out with chastity and monogomous commitment, and in with Girls Gone Wild. Out with morals, values and social order, and in with Marriage at First Sight on reality TV.

Oh, what grand societal progress we are making!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join