It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I have a feeling you won't be convinced anyway. No one says we all have to agree.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

I have a feeling you won't be convinced anyway. No one says we all have to agree.

Of course not and I don't expect that, what I hope for is for closed minds to open just a little bit and look for deeper truths as with what colleges are trying to bring light to, that being, the roots of toxic violent behaviour in our society.

www.umass.edu...

Some interesting reading on the genesis/roots of gendered structural violence..."primed for violence" -

Structural violence is created and sustained by cultural norms. In other words, structural violence is a process by which cultural violence is institutionalized. In- deed, Galtung (1990) highlights the role of cultural violence as part of the social matrix of violence that is used to both justify and legitimize structural violence. Norms of cultural violence can be found in religion, ideology, language, and art, among other aspects of culture. ‘‘Cultural violence makes direct and structural violence look, even feel, right F or at least not wrong’’ (Galtung, 1990:291). Although women have become active agents with notable success in the struggle for equality, violence remains a component of relations between men and women (Sideris, 2001) F an enduring aspect of cultural violence that underscores gendered structural violence. Multiple causes of violence against women exist, yet inequality of power (domination and subordination) is a common denominator in all acts of violence. It is this structural inequality of power that ‘‘creates the conditions for the social control of women’’ (Sideris, 2001:142).

Gender is an integral aspect of structural and cultural violence, for gender forms the basis of structural inequality 2 in all states. Although the power and role of women vary across states, women have yet to gain full equality in any state. Gender is a multifaceted aspect of discrimination with issues of gender determining roles, power relationships, responsibilities, expectations, and access to resources (UNPFA, 2003).

Structural inequality is based on subjugation and inequality (see Dietz, 1985) that is rooted in hierarchy, domination, and the use of force (Brock-Utne, 1990). The structural system of male domination is sustained through the persistence of gender stereotypes (Humm, 1990), which are themselves socially endowed labels (see Millett, 1970). Maintaining power under a system of structural inequality requires the acquiescence of the oppressed (Millett, 1970; Gaventa, 1980). Socialization, gender stereotyping, and a constant threat of violence assure acquiescence to structural inequality (see Bunch and Carrillo, 1998).

When structural violence is minimized, societal tolerance of violence is decreased (see Caprioli, 2003), thus leading to fewer international disputes and potentially to fewer instances of intrastate violence as argued herein. Conversely, when societal tolerance of violence is supported and legitimized by an environment of structural violence, the incidence of both inter- and intrastate violence should increase, for violence becomes a way of life and a valid tool for settling disputes.

www.amherst.edu...
edit on 19-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Of course not and I don't expect that, what I hope for is for closed minds to open just a little bit and look for deeper truths as with what colleges are trying to bring light to, that being, the roots of toxic violent behaviour in our society.

www.umass.edu...

Some interesting reading on the genesis/roots of gendered structural violence..."primed for violence" -

Structural violence is created and sustained by cultural norms. In other words, structural violence is a process by which cultural violence is institutionalized. In- deed, Galtung (1990) highlights the role of cultural violence as part of the social matrix of violence that is used to both justify and legitimize structural violence. Norms of cultural violence can be found in religion, ideology, language, and art, among other aspects of culture. ‘‘Cultural violence makes direct and structural violence look, even feel, right F or at least not wrong’’ (Galtung, 1990:291). Although women have become active agents with notable success in the struggle for equality, violence remains a component of relations between men and women (Sideris, 2001) F an enduring aspect of cultural violence that underscores gendered structural violence. Multiple causes of violence against women exist, yet inequality of power (domination and subordination) is a common denominator in all acts of violence. It is this structural inequality of power that ‘‘creates the conditions for the social control of women’’ (Sideris, 2001:142).

Gender is an integral aspect of structural and cultural violence, for gender forms the basis of structural inequality 2 in all states. Although the power and role of women vary across states, women have yet to gain full equality in any state. Gender is a multifaceted aspect of discrimination with issues of gender determining roles, power relationships, responsibilities, expectations, and access to resources (UNPFA, 2003).

Structural inequality is based on subjugation and inequality (see Dietz, 1985) that is rooted in hierarchy, domination, and the use of force (Brock-Utne, 1990). The structural system of male domination is sustained through the persistence of gender stereotypes (Humm, 1990), which are themselves socially endowed labels (see Millett, 1970). Maintaining power under a system of structural inequality requires the acquiescence of the oppressed (Millett, 1970; Gaventa, 1980). Socialization, gender stereotyping, and a constant threat of violence assure acquiescence to structural inequality (see Bunch and Carrillo, 1998).

When structural violence is minimized, societal tolerance of violence is decreased (see Caprioli, 2003), thus leading to fewer international disputes and potentially to fewer instances of intrastate violence as argued herein. Conversely, when societal tolerance of violence is supported and legitimized by an environment of structural violence, the incidence of both inter- and intrastate violence should increase, for violence becomes a way of life and a valid tool for settling disputes.

www.amherst.edu...

I am all for bringing light to Toxic Violent behavior in our society. That is quite different than classes focusing solely on Toxic Masculinity. So it seems you are talking about 2 different things.

Like I said earlier, Rape isn't Toxic Masculinity it is assholes. To group the 2 together is not being open minded at all, but instead lumping all or most men in with Rapists. I won't allow myself to ever be labeled or grouped with Rapists, because I am not one.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but what goes on at College Campuses isn't real life. In terms of what happens and the ideas and attitudes that are prevalent. We tend to think it is while we are there, but then we leave and realize we were wrong. Obviously things that happen there also happen outside of there but it is ignorant to group the rest of society as if we were all students on a campus.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

who decides what is toxic? whatever you find distasteful? Whatever behavior that you disapprove is toxic? convenient much? And we should all live by your standards?

Ppl are free to think for themselves and behave accordingly, if they step outta line,...they face the consequences. All this BS about regulating how others should behave and think is just being entitled to the max.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

I think the violence (in all forms) is an unchecked, unrealized (or denied) societal programming stemming from a continuing toxic historical view of what society deemed (and deems) to be masculine - which, by the way, the violence in all levels of schools is escalating.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JD163

who decides what is toxic? whatever you find distasteful? Whatever behavior that you disapprove is toxic? convenient much? And we should all live by your standards?

Ppl are free to think for themselves and behave accordingly, if they step outta line,...they face the consequences. All this BS about regulating how others should behave and think is just being entitled to the max.

It has more to do with toxic violent behaviour will not be tolerated any longer.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Since when is such behaviour tolerated? the last i check people who commit assault ends up in prison.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Since when is such behaviour tolerated? the last i check people who commit assault ends up in prison.

The statistics point to that not happening. The statistics show that violent assaults on campuses are not reported for a myriad of reasons, so most (almost all of the perps) get away with it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The statistics point to that not happening. The statistics show that violent assaults on campuses are not reported for a myriad of reasons, so most (almost all of the perps) get away with it.

If the stats are right, then would that be an issue of not reporting on the incident? Or you really do believe that people with a criminal mindset that would behave violently can be gently persuaded to correct their behaviour?
edit on 19-1-2017 by JD163 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

If the stats are right, then would that be an issue of not reporting on the incident? Or you really do believe that people with a criminal mindset that would behave violently can be gently persuaded to correct their behaviour?

I think that some people with learned toxic behaviours, who want to learn how to handle anger in a nonviolent way, should not be demeaned or belittled for wanting to understand from where the toxicity stems.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I think that some people with learned toxic behaviours, who want to learn how to handle anger in a nonviolent way, should not be demeaned or belittled for wanting to understand from where the toxicity stems.

How to handle anger in a nonviolent way? Simple, know that if you fail to restrain yourself, you are going to face the consequences for your actions. Assault is illegal, rape is illegal,.....if you can't do the time,...don't do the crime.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I think the violence (in all forms) is an unchecked, unrealized (or denied) societal programming stemming from a continuing toxic historical view of what society deemed (and deems) to be masculine - which, by the way, the violence in all levels of schools is escalating.

We are kind of going in circles now. I understand your perspective, and I am sure you understand mine. Thanks for the discussion.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

How to handle anger in a nonviolent way? Simple, know that if you fail to restrain yourself, you are going to face the consequences for your actions. Assault is illegal, rape is illegal,.....if you can't do the time,...don't do the crime.

That's just it, there are those that don't have the tools to restrain themselves.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

We are kind of going in circles now. I understand your perspective, and I am sure you understand mine. Thanks for the discussion.

I am not going in circles, I have been saying the same thing all along.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

That's just it, there are those that don't have the tools to restrain themselves.

Then those people would have a long time to learn,...in prison. We tell kids not to fight,...still happens all the time,....most adults know that violent behaviour towards another is illegal,....yet it happens all the time. What we don't need is the false idea that we can somehow eradicate such behaviour,....My point is, ppl know that certain actions will get them in trouble,..and those who can't keep themselves in check, would learn the hard way.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JD163

Well, these programs are offering a shortcut to those who want to change but don't know how to go about it.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I meant our conversation. If you don't see it, that might be part of the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

a reply to: JD163

Well, these programs are offering a shortcut to those who want to change but don't know how to go about it.

People who are violent by nature usually have an impulse control issue,....telling him/her why such behaviour is unacceptable would be futile,...as I'm pretty sure that most parents would have taught their kids right from wrong,....and if they manage to reach collage with that same attitude,....repeating the lesson in a intellectual manner would do squat,...that person don't need course in civics,.....they need counseling or maybe even therapy

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If these schools gave a crap about white males there would be men's gender studies classes and a white history month. But as it stands we are currently stuck with this liberal education system where if you have a penis you are a possible rapist and if your penis is white then you are Hitler Devil ****lord.

Here is a great educational video about micro-aggression's that all white penis toting Nazi worshiping males should watch so we can properly learn how to be a cuck.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
If these schools gave a crap about white males there would be men's gender studies classes and a white history month. But as it stands we are currently stuck with this liberal education system where if you have a penis you are a possible rapist and if your penis is white then you are Hitler Devil ****lord.

Here is a great educational video about micro-aggression's that all white penis toting Nazi worshiping males should watch so we can properly learn how to be a cuck.

Its a competition to be the most oppressed....race to the bottom

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join