It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman
a reply to: InTheLight

No? Are you? I have replied when asked questions, I haven't deflected, I merely want to know why you think I am conflicted. Will you answer?

Last time...you state you agree with me but then you choose to keep your incorrect stance (shakes head).

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: DBCowboy

Parenting has been out of the picture for a while now.

But that is no reason for the state to step in and start dictating behaviors.

They are not dictating behaviours, they are trying to make us aware of the root of our toxic behaviours.

Bull.

They are arbitrarily determining what behaviors are socially acceptable and what behaviors aren't.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

They are not dictating behaviours, they are trying to make us aware of the root of our toxic behaviours.

Bull.

They are arbitrarily determining what behaviors are socially acceptable and what behaviors aren't.

Not arbitrarily, most likely driven by actual campus violence cases.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Ah gotcha. You misunderstood, I agree that teens can feel peer pressure, I disagree that a well raised one would. Hope that clarifies things.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

No you are watching too much weaponized media. Here in Michigan there is plenty of parenting going on.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Ah gotcha. You misunderstood, I agree that teens can feel peer pressure, I disagree that a well raised one would. Hope that clarifies things.

I disagree because you underestimate the power of peer pressure (and toxic societal programming), regardless of upbringing.
edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I think you overestimate it. i don't care how much pressure I was getting I'm not messing with parents and their children. They tend to get real protective in a hurry-that means pain.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I think you overestimate it. i don't care how much pressure I was getting I'm not messing with parents and their children. They tend to get real protective in a hurry-that means pain.

I think they were messing with each other and did not intentionally spit soda on the little girl.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
But then, I had a living, breathing example of what being a man is all about in my life. My Dad.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

The past few decades have seen an all out assault on all things traditional. The single parent home, and even the two parent home with both parents working to such a degree as they rarely have time with their children has destroyed this generation. Instead of them learning about life and what it means to be a man or what it means to be a woman from their parents, we've devolved on "it takes a village" horsesnip that's more political pandering and foolishness than actual knowledge.

Another major issue, we're in an era in which everyone is too goddamned afraid to actually define masculinity and femininity out of fear of offending some special headcase that thinks their male one day, female the next, Xerxes of the planet Zanadu on day 3. It's utter crap, it's sick, it's perverse, and it's very much a recreation of the final days of the Roman Empire... the last time the most powerful civilization on Earth allowed their own excesses and self serving crap become a destructive disease.

Much the same as with any other argument these days, hyperbole enters the fray... if you support "traditional manliness" then *OMG!!! GASP!!! You must be a supporter of SEXUAL ASSAULTS on women!!! GASP!!! OMG!!!* To which I can only smirk, shake my damn head, and tell those idiots STFU and Sit TF Down, adults are conversing right now. Manliness hasn't got a goddamn thing to do with sexual assaults, or really even sex... it's recognizing your responsibilities, taking care of your responsibilities, defending your own, and oftentimes doing it all when you feel like crap, ache like an SOB, would rather be doing anything else in the damn world... but keep on keeping on, without griping, whining, complaining, or looking for someone else to take on your responsibilities, because you're a damn MAN and that's what MEN do. You disrespect a man, you can expect to see stars. You butt into a man's business, you should expect to pick yourself up off your ass. You try to disrupt the sanctity of a man's home and/or family, you should realize the dirt of the grave may pour over your head real soon. Violent? Oh hell yeah, for a purpose, though. MEN take on the troubles of the world, often with little to no gratitude... so yeah, every now and then some trouble spills out of our glass and may slop onto whatever idgit was dumb enough to cross us at that time... that's the price the world pays for looking for others, responsible others, to take on their troubles.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Bull.

Not arbitrarily, most likely driven by actual campus violence cases.

So rape.

I'd have to question the baseline for that as well.

Recently there were 2 studies.

Study one asked if an individual was sexually attacked/raped in college.

Study two asked if the individual had ever had sex while drunk, then considered that rape.

You can imagine that the number of cases between the 2 studies was drastically different.

But then again, one study was gathering data and the other was pushing an agenda.

link   
a reply to: Learningman

I was raised very well. While I was in high school I never drank, had sex, or did drugs. Even to this day, everyone that meets my parents talks about how amazing they are. That said I definitely had moments where I was a complete dick. Why? Because teenagers are complete dicks.

link   

We will have to agree to disagree then, I was hardly a 'good' young lad and my friend group similar, but I knew right from wrong enough to make my own choices. I feel peer pressure is systemic of the 'blame anyone else but yourself' culture.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Do you think that matters to papa bear when the spitter is laughing at his now screaming 4 year old?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: facedye

Where did I avoid anything? I pointed out that teenagers have underdeveloped brains. You agreed that it wouldn't be right to hit 13 year olds. So I went to the opposite end of the spectrum. Apparently you think it's okay to hit 19 year olds despite their underdeveloped brain. At which point does it become acceptable for an adult to hit a teenager?

when someone puts you into a compromising semantic position, do you usually just double back to your initial point of view and ignore everything my post addressed?

my previous response was an ample response to your question. please re-read it if you'd like the answer.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

For so many colleges having the need to offer these programs, doesn't it make you wonder if they are just skimming the tip of the iceberg?

link   
What would have been nice is to offer classes supporting masculinity as we see so much of those supporting femininity.

I would see nothing wrong with programs helping other males to use the masculinity that they have to further themselves in the world or learning how to cope with this feminized nation and the toxic notions they spew upon our society. Programs that celebrate masculinity and teach men to hone their natural tendencies for increased success and power need to happen.

Here's some girls jumping on trampolines:

link   
a reply to: seasonal

Why was your child screaming, it was only soda pop?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Truthfully said.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: facedye

I'll accept your challenge up front. What points have I ignored?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

For so many colleges having the need to offer these programs, doesn't it make you wonder if they are just skimming the tip of the iceberg?

No.

If you'd like, I could find the studies that show a gross bias in inflating numbers to push an agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join