It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Possibly but what makes you think so ?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: DBCowboy

a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes to your first question, and absolutely not to the second...that is until you guys finish the program.

My programs were the school of hard knocks and Ms. Waldo's Finishing School for Fine Young Gentlemen Of Distinction.

So you know by learning by way of hard knocks you needed to go to a finishing school?

No, I was beaten until I learned to behave, 'cuse Ima guy.

link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Possibly but what makes you think so ?

This is becoming a spoon-feeding situation.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: starwarsisreal
There is a major difference between Patriarchy and masculinity.

That might be the wisest goddam sentence I've read on ATS in a long while.

It just came to me as common sense to be honest, Ab mate.

I see nothing masculine about Saudi Arabia or ISIS territory.
Patriarchy for sure, though.

Real men are comfortable with powerful women.

Any man who isn't, I just shake my head at.

link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: seagull

Is sexual assault masculine? I mean it's a man forcing his manliness on a woman that is supposed to be submissive. No? That is toxic masculinity.

Actually its an issue of control and dominance. Not only men suffer from that. Men just have the appendage that satisfies that issue.. and if they dont have it, or it is not operational.. they use other means of penetration.. knife etc. Its control. NOT masculinity.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

...and you need a class to learn that? Really?

I find that remarkably sad, even pitiful, that that might be necessary.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

At that age, that would have been my priority. ...and the only reason I could have ever seen for taking it.

But then, I had a living, breathing example of what being a man is all about in my life. My Dad.

See?

Now we're taking parenting out of the picture and replacing it with what the state deems as acceptable.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Or run like hell.

There is zero chance that I would stand there and laugh. I would have quickly apologized and hoped that I didn't get my ass kicked. Or ran and hoped I'm faster than the slowest.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yes to your first question, and absolutely not to the second...that is until you guys finish the program.

My programs were the school of hard knocks and Ms. Waldo's Finishing School for Fine Young Gentlemen Of Distinction.

So you know by learning by way of hard knocks you needed to go to a finishing school?

No, I was beaten until I learned to behave, 'cuse Ima guy.

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to stop that BS.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Come on now, less passive aggressiveness, why am I conflicted? I honestly fail to see what I have said that could cause you to think as much.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Come on now, less passive aggressiveness, why am I conflicted? I honestly fail to see what I have said that could cause you to think as much.

You are just trolling now because you are bored, right?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

The question should be did it work? Is this the best way to raise a productive member of society.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Parenting has been out of the picture for a while now.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The question should be did it work? Is this the best way to raise a productive member of society.

All the studies I read say corporal punishment is not the best way to raise a healthy child.

link   
a reply to: seagull

You never know what might set someone off and you never know what might stop someone from going off. Doesn't it make it worth it if these presentations (from what I can tell these are not actual courses) stop even one sexual assaulter?

link   

But that is no reason for the state to step in and start dictating behaviors.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

No? Are you? I have replied when asked questions, I haven't deflected, I merely want to know why you think I am conflicted. Will you answer?

link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Abysha

Out of curiosity, what constitutes a "real" man?

What these classes seem to advocate is nonsense, not to mention useless. Those "men" who attend, may indeed be male, but they bear little resemblance to a "man".

If a college needs to be the place where they need to learn to be "men", then I'm afraid they were lost causes before hand.

...as a general question, what is "Toxic Masculinity" anyway? I'm not current on my PC terms of endearment...so someone will have to enlighten this Neanderthal.

That's why it is such a misunderstood topic by so many. People get defensive.

To me, a "real man" ("ideal" man should be what I used instead) is the sort who understands consent, is unburdened by the hyper-aggressive expectations of his peers, and can still display all of the attractive aspects of masculinity while maintaining the stoic undercurrent of strength and honor towards those physically weaker or socially disadvantaged.

I know several of these men and none of them are the emasculated stereotypes a lot of members here are claiming this is for. For example, my boyfriend grew up on a farm, milking cows since he was six, yet today he volunteers at the local kitchen with me, is active in promoting social justice, and is a staunch ally to the LGBT. In addition to all that, he's hairy, muscly, swears like a sailor, and can scrap with the best of them. That's an ideal man to me.

So no, learning what the "toxic" elements drilled into young men about how their gender should be performed doesn't make a man emasculated.

As far as a decent definition, I'll just refer to ManBehindTheMask's summary of it:

There are behaviors that are definitely wrong, and there are for sure a lot of youth out there who dont know what it means to be a man, and for some reason, think think that being hyper-aggressive is the definition

Obviously, that's not all-encompassing but that's largely a focus on "toxic masculinity".
edit on 17-1-2017 by Abysha because: spellinz goddammit

link   

But that is no reason for the state to step in and start dictating behaviors.

They are not dictating behaviours, they are trying to make us aware of the root of our toxic behaviours.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Nothing at all wrong with that. I'd have done the same, because that's what I was taught.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join