It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools offer ‘safe spaces’ to combat ‘toxic masculinity'--“Unlearning Toxic Masculinity”

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Believe it or not I was once a teenage boy, and when we were having a bit of fun with blowing straw-papers at each other in McDonald's, one flew into a pram of a nearby couple, to which I apologised. Much less annoying and causing zero lasting mess/stickiness than a sticky soft drink would, yet I knew what I had done whilst harmless, was not something to laugh at.

You give far too little credit to teenagers when it comes to common decency and morality.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: facedye

Well considering a 19 year old still has an underdeveloped brain, is it okay to hit them?

I think this question is really obtuse, and quite entertaining.

I don't think it has any intellectual value, but it's still entertaining.

so just because you didn't catch me in one twist of words, you're now trying out a different approach?

ok, i'll bite:

a 19 year old can operate an automobile (which can be turned lethal instantly), enlist in the army to kill other people at home and overseas, own a gun, go hunting to kill other animals for food and leisure, and last but not least: start unreasonable problems for unreasonable reasons.

so yes, I can imagine a few situations where I wouldn't argue against a 19 year old being assaulted/committing assault on someone else.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Believe it or not I was once a teenage boy, and when we were having a bit of fun with blowing straw-papers at each other in McDonald's, one flew into a pram of a nearby couple, to which I apologised. Much less annoying and causing zero lasting mess/stickiness than a sticky soft drink would, yet I knew what I had done whilst harmless, was not something to laugh at.

You give far too little credit to teenagers when it comes to common decency and morality.

I raised a teenaged boy (with five other teenaged boys hanging around my house), so I know the extent of immaturity and idiocy that they can go.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Mommy what did you do that changed the world in college?

Daughter, I knitted my own pussyhat and wore it in public while chanting feminist slogans. I changed the world.

Maybe they need a college course concerning sewing... she sucks.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If they would not have apologised for spitting soda onto a small child, you did a bad job.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Abysha

The problem is that some people have conflicting ideas about what constitutes assault these days.

I am not talking about someone who truly beats the thunder out of you,

I agree that there is some grey area there.

originally posted by: ketsuko
but sometimes simply touching a person gets called assault.

If it's inappropriate touching (like grabbing your vagina), I'd call that assault. "Simply touching" my kid in that way, for example, will get a person pummeled by fists far more skilled than my own. So touching can very well be assault.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

When in doubt, always revert to feminist bashing.
edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Did yo purposefully miss the caveat where he stated 'And the father looks at the young man who spit it all over his daughter is pointing and laughing' ?

No, because if they were probably having a spitting match then they were already in that state of mind, I truly doubt one angry teenaged boy came up to his little girl and deliberately spit soda at her.

I see your point. A punch in the face should only be used if he is coming toward you. It would cause irreparable damage to the fragile psyche of the young lad. A swift kick in the a$$ is effective if the little bastard is retreating after he realizes his carelessness has caused someone harm and doesn't want to face the consequences.
Maybe we are starting far too late with the training and should begin with training pre teens about public behavior and carelessly harming others. Shock collars are non-lethal and work well and middle school isn't $1000/credit hour.

Anyone whose study area allows them to waste time with a complete garbage course like this should consider a trade school.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If they would not have apologised for spitting soda onto a small child, you did a bad job.

Some kids are motivated by peer pressure and if they are with their friends their behaviour changes.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, what constitutes a "real" man?

What these classes seem to advocate is nonsense, not to mention useless. Those "men" who attend, may indeed be male, but they bear little resemblance to a "man".

If a college needs to be the place where they need to learn to be "men", then I'm afraid they were lost causes before hand.

...as a general question, what is "Toxic Masculinity" anyway? I'm not current on my PC terms of endearment...so someone will have to enlighten this Neanderthal.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I agree there but I'm afraid my statement still stands. My friends found me apologising hilarious and my lady friend of the time was unimpressed, but I was raised to be responsible for my actions.

link   
a reply to: facedye

Where did I avoid anything? I pointed out that teenagers have underdeveloped brains. You agreed that it wouldn't be right to hit 13 year olds. So I went to the opposite end of the spectrum. Apparently you think it's okay to hit 19 year olds despite their underdeveloped brain. At which point does it become acceptable for an adult to hit a teenager?

link   
a reply to: pteridine

I don't advocate physical violence and I do advocate anger management and cutting through the societal BS.

edit on 17-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I agree there but I'm afraid my statement still stands. My friends found me apologising hilarious and my lady friend of the time was unimpressed, but I was raised to be responsible for my actions.

You are conflicted then.

link   

My point is that there are people that would assault others violently and sexually (rape) and trying to teach them not to would be futile. Thats why we have prisons.

This whole issue sounds like the 'teach men not to rape thing' Its useless cause men who would not rape don't need it, and those that do don't care about it.

link   

I have a lot of faith in younger folks.... kids and teens and twentysomethings. Ive seen amazing acts of kindness and real drive. Ive seen kids thrive even when their parents seem to have done everything they could to cause the kid to be a feral animal.. socially speaking. I expect a lot from teens.. and when its demanded and expected, the majority meet those expectations. I swear to you and everyone here that in my experience it truly is the minority that can only be handled with violence or the threat of it. I see even fewer that are "out of control". Kids know whats right... and know when to behave.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Agreed, I knew that if I stepped over the line, there would be a price to be paid.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Is sexual assault masculine? I mean it's a man forcing his manliness on a woman that is supposed to be submissive. No? That is toxic masculinity.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well I hope all you horrible, horrible "nasty aggressive" men have learned the lesson given today....just go get "corrected" and then you'll get all the tail you can handle....I can just imagine the "available women "who will be there in your class to help you "see the light"..EEKKKKKK
HAPPY TRAILS....or is it tails ?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

At that age, that would have been my priority. ...and the only reason I could have ever seen for taking it.

But then, I had a living, breathing example of what being a man is all about in my life. My Dad.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join