It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal "Mandella Effect" experience. Other personal experiences needed!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I tend to share the same mentality, it's just way more difficult to give a rational explanation when it's on a very true personal level, not some mundane collective false memories...

Please do expand on the practical applications of both theories! It's a valuable conversation to have. I was just able to prove that the names of cereal have actually changed, not due to reality changing but executive decisions by the cereal maker/s. The problem is, we don't have old pics to confirm many of these other examples, so it can be quite freaky and frustrating when memories we know can't be wrong due to a deep and personal connection with certain things.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
But it doesn't work with dilemna. It was a favorite word and I was a bit of an English nerd and my muscle memory always pronounces it with the N to remember the odd spelling, and my mom was an English fanatic and one of the greatest editors I've encountered, and we used to always pronounce the N as a cute "thing" between us... and that it doesn't appear anywhere, now, even as an erroneous common error with that spelling, is confounding.

This is known as hypercorrection.
It probably comes down to pronunciation. If you say "die lemma" then dilemna makes more sense. If you say "dill emma" then dilemma makes more sense.

This isn't about intelligence or "bad" memory. It's just a common mistake that people are lead into.

A Kit-Kat is a mutton pie. They didn't use the hyphen to avoid confusion even though technically it should have the hyphen. Because we know it should be there it's easy to remember it there.

As for the braces chick in Bond, we are taught to hate Jaws so the idea that some girl could see good in him seems wrong. We simplify the narrative to both having metal in their mouths to bond over.

It's not really any different to us remembering "Luke, I am your father".

Our brains are amazing and quick. We take a lot of shortcuts and correct things before we realise it.
That's why 3D movies and Magic Eye's work.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Well there are no practical applications for the Mandela Effect.

Understanding how easily our brains are tricked does, such as those Magic Eye puzzles and 3D movies.

There's surely more important applications such as dealing with dimentia patients however let's keep it simple.

so it can be quite freaky and frustrating when memories we know can't be wrong due to a deep and personal connection with certain things.

Personal connections could possibly increase the chance you are wrong. There's no such thing as a memory that can't be wrong. The interesting part is why so many make the same mistake and why the mistake is so convincing.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

This is known as hypercorrection. It probably comes down to pronunciation. If you say "die lemma" then dilemna makes more sense. If you say "dill emma" then dilemma makes more sense.

If only this were the case.

It's funny, ANY other word and I'd agree in a heartbeat... but not "my" dilemNa... and why the great numbers of other folks who feel as strongly about this one word? Why my note in the old paperback dictionary?

Maybe the strangeness of quantum theory is reality... maybe I dreamt of a different spelling along with several thousand other folks in some odd morphic field induced shared delusion that seemed to span a lifetime.. . maybe an elf king got feisty and changed our reality because humans are destroying the realm... maybe maybe maybe.

Eta: and I pronounce it "dill-emma."

edit on 1/18/2017 by Baddogma because: add

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I get your dilemna (lol), it's a very personal thing. When it becomes personal, it becomes very real, and that's when it gets creepy....

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I remember Thanksgiving used to be on the 3rd Thursday of November.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
I remember Thanksgiving used to be on the 3rd Thursday of November.

Me too, did it change?

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I started siding with the skeptics after having my own breakout experiences...

BUT...

dilemna

is impossible..

My mom has books wall to wall. She has Shakespeare from the 1600s.. She can correct anyone's grammar or spelling in a heartbeat..
my school was ranked 32 in the Nation when I was there... It's not very likely I got this wrong over and over and over....

I KNOW where this places people who have not seen it...
BUT you who have not seen it have no idea where this places me..

I'm in a dilemna...

it's not a one off memory, like a name..
This is a 100 memory.. As in it was added in over 100 times.. in different ways..
This was an "on purpose memory"
it was on purpose because I could not spell it right without saying it wrong.

If it's not for you it's not for you.

But if I am wrong I swear on my life I will die tomorrow.
I pray to god I will die tomorrow if I am wrong.
I pray to my mother's life she will die if I am wrong.

I'm not f#$cking around.

And I did just really pray those things..

This is my REAL.
edit on 18-1-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

don't respond to trolls.

it gives them life they wish they had..

And it's funny they can have whatever life they want if they are in the US.

Instead let them watch on the sidelines.

You are someone saying something or you have nothing to say, or you have a genuine disagreement.

I like the genuine disagreements.. But the weak stuff is weak...

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

May I suggest an alternative?

Maybe from now on you should just have a quandary

The berestein bears taught me that

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

May I suggest an alternative?

Maybe from now on you should just have a quandary

The berestein bears taught me that

that's where we are is it not?

Quandary is the perfect word.

MY mom as I said earlier was very (IS) very on point with words...

She made a point to me when I was 4 maybe that it was pronounced berenstain.... She showed me the A in the lettering...

But because I have seen changes I don't know if me being "right" about that from 30 years ago makes me "right"

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

The berenstein bears is what made me pay attention to this ridiculousness.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I usually don't, but this troll is not so obvious to me.. In fact, there is a "Mandela Effect" phenom concerning his topic. That, OR google (OR the universe) is trolling me!

mandelaeffect.com...

edit on 19-1-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

been here before ?

you've been in this moment before..

it's so familiar
you almost know what you were going to think next...

a choice ? you kinda remember making...

Last time i was in this moment what did i do ?

again years later ?
back in the same moment

yet where did my life go ?

i dreamed being a butterfly ?
and wake up in this life

or dreamed being a prince
and woke up a butterfly ?

edit on 19-1-2017 by kibric because: Arutperumjothi

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

But because I have seen changes I don't know if me being "right" about that from 30 years ago makes me "right"

Yeah... a dilemna (some of these changes are rather apropos, no?) and most of these "variances" being talked about are common mistakes made by folks that "nerds" have always been aware of .. . but dammit, not all of them ... there ARE some rare "real" ones ... though this calls into question what's real ... heck, any thinking being already questions that, come to think of it.

And what might be correct for one might be incorrect for another, IF they originated in an alternate 'verse, I guess... if that's what is going on.

It gets ... complicated.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

This is known as hypercorrection. It probably comes down to pronunciation. If you say "die lemma" then dilemna makes more sense. If you say "dill emma" then dilemma makes more sense.

Eta: and I pronounce it "dill-emma."

Fair enough, that ruins my theory on that one.

Can we start picking holes in your theory?

The answer lies in understanding the mind and not misunderstanding quantum physics.
The Mandela Effect would disprove our understanding of everything, including quantum physics.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In regards to the OP, that is in the Bible, just not in the book of John. It's more than likely just a mistake and not some universal paradox.

KJV

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Det. 31:6

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Heb. 13:5

And David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed: for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD. I Chron 28:20

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The answer lies in understanding the mind and not misunderstanding quantum physics.

Probably.

But the notion that mind IS our universe might have validity as well.

Though, really, I have no working hypothesis.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I have a working theory that encapsulates quantum mechanics into what we are seeing with the mandela effect.

Think of the double slit experiment, imagine that all possibilities are there all at once, every single configuration of everything was created at "The Big Bang".
The observer (Us) dictates which reality we choose.
Imagine that there is no linear time or movement, there is a single frame of the universe and as we move our consciousness we shift through these frames making it appear fluid and linear but it's not, we are literally shifting through each individual frame like a movie. The movie looks linear and fluid but it is in fact a single image projected in sequence to appear like movement.
As a species as our consciousness starts to understand that this "reality" is just a construct, we start to shift to configurations of the universe where things are inherently different and this is the mandela effect.
If anyone is interested in what I am discussing please take the time to watch this video, this gentleman has most of it worked out.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join