It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Tracking Devices for US Visitors: Who's Next?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Visitors to the USA soon will be tagged with radio frequency identification (RFID) trackers, under the Bush administration's controversial US-VISIT scheme. Fingerprinting already is standard. Critics of the plan fear the RFID's are being introduced to "normalize" forced human tracking, and that trackers for ordinary citizens soon will follow.

management.silicon.com
The US Department of Homeland Security has decided to trial RFID tags in an effort to make sure only the right sort of people get across US borders.

The controversial US-VISIT scheme for those visiting the US from abroad already fingerprints holidaymakers on their way into the country and is now adding RFID to the mix in order to improve border management, the department said.

The trials will start at a "simulated port" in the spring and will then be extended to Nogales East and Nogales West in Arizona; Alexandria Bay in New York; and Pacific Highway and Peace Arch in Washington by the end of July.

.....RFID chips will be used to track both pedestrians and vehicles entering the US to automatically record when the visitors arrive and leave in the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

On the surface, RFID tracking seems to be a good idea. Borders are clogged; this might help unclog them. The system is designed to weed out the riffraff - low-level, low-class drug dealers and other criminals, and under-funded terrorists. It won't stop anyone with the will or financial backing to bypass the system.

Critics say the flaws are irrelevant: RFID tracking is part of a larger plan, one designed to funnel even more taxpayer dollars into corporate accounts.

The public has been primed, systematically. Marketing budgets for human tracking systems rival welfare expenditures, and opened a door to the Brave New World. Human tracking now is an accepted part of life. Besides standard Geographical Positioning Systems (GPS) in cars for example, parents are encouraged to have GPS microchips implanted in their children. However, until the US-VISIT scheme, tracking tags and implants were voluntary.

Now, industry wants to expand the human tracking market. The next phase is forced human tracking; and tax-funded programs are always a good way to go. RFID visitor tracking opens the way for forced tracking of US citizens - under government funded programs, paid for with taxpayer dollars.

According to critics, the question is not, "Will it really happen?" but rather, "Who's next?"

Government and industry will continue pushing "safety" and "security" to justify forced human tracking. The first tax-funded program likely will tag pedophiles and rapists - and who will argue? Wealthy abusers will not be tagged of course, but program inequities will be ignored for the "larger good." In this Brave New World, the poor, weak and vulnerable do not have civil rights and liberties.

Next, we may see implants in diagnosed AIDS patients - and again, who will argue? Fully computerized medical record-keeping and plans for medical micro-chip implants are already in the works. It will not be hard to integrate and harmonize the two programs into one system.

Developed by government-industry partnerships, new programs like this funnel taxpayer money straight to corporate accounts. We're looking at picking up the costs for devices, repair and replacement, developing and maintaining the systems, operating expenditures, everything - all under ironclad contracts. Talk about a Golden Goose.

The wildest conspiracy theories do not anticipate the sheer creativity of tax grab programs created when government partners with industry. When the fox watches the hen house, don't expect the chickens to survive.

POLL: Who do you think will targeted next for forced tracking? ...and do you think you are immune?

Related News Links:
msnbc.msn.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. to slap tourists with radio chips
The Shocking Truth About The Micro Chip

[edit on 29-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Democrats

Living in Britain we're heading for compulsoary identity cards with our biometric details in them.

I think passive resistance is the best weapon we have. Dont comply, state your rights (we still have some) and make as much noise about it publically as you can. If we all make a fuss about it then they'll have to change their ways. They cant throw the entire population into prison.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Living in Britain we're heading for compulsoary identity cards with our biometric details in them.

Yeah, that really sucks. Just one step closer to the NWO

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, if every US citizen had an ID tag , all the illegals could be rounded up pretty easy from not walking around with ID tags, but on the other hand , us citizen risk becoming earmarked cattle at the wimp of the corporations.

Inch by Inch civil rights are demolished in the name of security....

On the other hand, I am glad the Americans are leading the way in this tagging experiment, so we Europeans could see in advance if it indeed will lead to more security for U.S citizens against external attacks, or that it actually put U.S citizens at risk from enemies withing the state.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I am confused. Exactly how do these tracking devices get attached, stay attached to a person or vehicle? What's to prevent removal?

Anyone have a clue?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures

Inch by Inch civil rights are demolished in the name of security....

More like mile by mile...

and the "security" programs don't even work!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
I am confused. Exactly how do these tracking devices get attached, stay attached to a person or vehicle? What's to prevent removal?

Anyone have a clue?

...It's in the original news articles (always good to click on that little link and read them
...). ...The RFID trakers are fixed permanently to vehicles; for people, they're fixed to id papers. GPS microchips are implanted.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I must admit that when I first read this I assumed they meant they were going to implant everyone with a tag. Even though it's still not very good, it's not as bad if their only going to be putting them in your paperwork!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
I must admit that when I first read this I assumed they meant they were going to implant everyone with a tag. Even though it's still not very good, it's not as bad if their only going to be putting them in your paperwork!

Many American children do have ID microchips implanted. ...When the forced tracking programs are expanded further, we will be looking at implanted devices.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Many American children do have ID microchips implanted. ...When the forced tracking programs are expanded further, we will be looking at implanted devices.

I didn't realise that? Have you got some links I could look at please.... Sounds interesting, in a disturbing way.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

...It's in the original news articles (always good to click on that little link and read them
...). ...The RFID trakers are fixed permanently to vehicles; for people, they're fixed to id papers. GPS microchips are implanted.

So whats to stop the terrorists changing cars or throwing away their papers and using forgeries?

As usual the only people affected by this will be the honest people. More worrying for Americans is that this could be a trial run to tag everyone in the US.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I wouldn't have asked the question unless I didn't see it in the original news article......

I still don't see it saying that but I did find this:

The testing phase will continue until the spring of next year. The exact way RFID will be used with the travellers is not yet known.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Have you got some links I could look at please.... Sounds interesting, in a disturbing way.

HMMM.

The public has been primed, systematically. Marketing budgets for human tracking systems rival welfare expenditures, and opened a door to the Brave New World. Human tracking now is an accepted part of life. Besides standard Geographical Positioning Systems (GPS) in cars for example, parents are encouraged to have GPS microchips implanted in their children. However, until the US-VISIT scheme, tracking tags and implants were voluntary.

...Run a google search on what's being marketed as "child locators"... It's a huge industry, with new start-ups and products appearing regularly.

To get you started:

www.space.com...

Issue Overview:
maps.unomaha.edu...

www.alldodge.com/gps-locator-for-kid.html
www.lookfinance.com/child-gps-tracking-device.html

ABCNEWS.com : Implant Chip, Track People
....do you want other people to be able to track your kid? use of space-based Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites See How an Embedded Locator Chip Would Work. abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

I wouldn't have asked the question unless I didn't see it in the original news article......

I still don't see it saying that but I did find this:

The testing phase will continue until the spring of next year. The exact way RFID will be used with the travellers is not yet known.

You're right. I got that from one of the other articles that covered the story. (links above)

BUT - your question points out an interesting discrepancy, and contradiction...

IF - "The exact way RFID will be used with the travellers is not yet known."
THEN - maybe we need to watch this one very closely... ?

Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry if I was prickly (tired, and trying to do too much before I go offline)...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This post 'jogged' my memory. My brother is a manager in Australia for an American company. He usually has to go to the U.S. once a year for boring conventions and seminars, and has done so for the last 7-8 years.

Anyway, when he was at my place i said, "You didn't go to the states last year".
He said it was easier and cheaper to have a tele-conference.
edit:text

[edit on 29-1-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Most of the implications of these chips are obvious. The government knows where you are. The government can find you. The government may know what you are doing. etc etc.

What can these chips do that we don't know about though, or what will they be able to do in the future?
Can they theoretically one day stimulate processes in your body or mind?
Can they monitor what you say? Can they gather biological information such as your DNA sequence, what illnesses you have, etc?

There is potential danger. I know this seems extremely far out, but things never start extremely far out; they start really small and normal, and become gradually corrupted.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Read 1984 and tell me we are not headed in that direction. Tagging Emus and Ostriches were the first demonstration on a mass scale with the use of chips for tracking. Humans as we see are the next victims for tracking. The borders have been left open for a reason to flood the economy with illegal immigrants that will work for peanuts and keep wages down in the U.S. Who suffers we all do and the citizens of The U.S. will be next. Scenerio if you are willing to implant this chip into your body your family will get a big tax break. Next scenerio if you are willing to be implanted with a chip you will be able to buy food and gas. Next In order to get a government job you must be implanted. Finally if you are unwilling to be implanted it is called go to jail or a concentration camp. Is this far fetched or is this going to be reality?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
What can these chips do that we don't know about though, or what will they be able to do in the future?
Can they theoretically one day stimulate processes in your body or mind?
Can they monitor what you say? Can they gather biological information such as your DNA sequence, what illnesses you have, etc?

There is potential danger. I know this seems extremely far out, but things never start extremely far out; they start really small and normal, and become gradually corrupted.

Very cool observations Vagabond - and excellent questions...

The chips would only need to have a 'receptor' capacity built in along with a transmittor to do what you suggest. There already are patents for devices that can do the things you are suggesting are possible.

Hmmm. Need to think more about this.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Vagabond's points?

.sp

[edit on 29-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Rumor has it that the DoD is the one funding a lot of the research on implants for repair of spinal cord injuries and the like. Anyone know if that's true? I've also heard that there is a patented device called a neurophone or something like that which basically does what I have suggested- recieves and transmits nerve impulses.
I'll be researching and hopefully others will also. Rumors are fun to talk about, but it's just a ghost story unless we can find some solid info behind it.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Rumors are fun to talk about, but it's just a ghost story unless we can find some solid info behind it.

Here's a good place to start:

United States Patent: Nervous system manipulation

...leads to a description of a new technology patent, which allows manipulation of the human central nervous system via broadcast television signals, DVD, and computer terminal.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join