It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey: Erdogan's Attempted Coup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In Turkey, it seems as though Erdogan is attempting his own coup of sorts. He has been the Prime Minister since 2003 and now voted president of Turkey in 2014. In 2014 he talked about wanting a new constitution:

Erdogan Pushes for New Constitution

Such a move would enable Mr Erdogan to attach more powers to the presidency, which is largely a ceremonial role.

In 2017 we have this:

MPs back new Turkey constitution cementing Erdogan's power

The parliament approved the two final sections of the 18-article new constitution after a marathon week of debating that began on January 9 and included sessions that often lasted late into the night.

The president will have the power to appoint and fire ministers, while the post of prime minister will be abolished for the first time in Turkey's history.

With Turkey already under a state of emergency for almost six months following the July 15 failed coup, the changes will also widen the scope of conditions in which the president can declare an emergency.

Now if you all remember in July of 2016 there was an attempted coup:

Turkey's Coup That Wasn't

As coups go, the Turkish effort was a study in ineptitude: No serious attempt to capture or muzzle the political leadership, no leader ready to step in, no communication strategy (or even awareness of social media), no ability to mobilize a critical mass within either the armed forces or society. In their place a platoon of hapless soldiers on a bridge in Istanbul and the apparently uncoordinated targeting of a few government buildings in Ankara.

Reading that first paragraph from the New York Times, it is now pretty clear to me that Erdogan staged his own "coup" attempt in order to drum up support for this new constitution he want's for Turkey basically making Turkey a one man show.

There are some more steps to go through before the new constitution is finalized in Turkey, but I don't believe there is any reason to doubt that these changes will fail to pass. As he has exhibited the wherewithal to toss his political enemies in jail, and due to the failed "coup" attempt it will be easy for him to label the people not supporting this initiative as more "coup plotters".

I'd also go one step further and say that he had one of his Military commanders order some of his troops to stage this "coup". As it has been documented that many troops involved said "They were following orders".

Why Turkey's Coup Failed

Indeed, reports have emerged that many of those involved in the uprising were conscripts who say they were just following orders and did not know they were taking part in a coup.

What we have playing out before our eyes is a real life conspiracy of one man, his conscripts and party affiliates engaging in a conspiracy to elevate Erdogan to the level of a dictator.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: gpols

Chancellor Palpatine would be proud of Erdogan's efforts if he manages to pull this off.

Very astute observation.

edit on 16/1/2017 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I thought that was common knowledge already? That the summer coup was either planned by him or allowed by him. Seems like common sense no?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

The OP did a decent job at connecting the dots and making a reasonable argument instead of just parroting what he/she heard from others.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I was told recently if you're part of an ISIS terrorist cell in Turkey and you get arrested you're marched through the streets by police with their hands on your shoulders. You're questioned for a few hours then released.

If you're a female journalist who criticised Erdogan you have your hands handcuffed behind your back and you're dragged through the streets by your hair. Then you're raped and possibly questioned afterwards.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

I was told recently if you're part of an ISIS terrorist cell in Turkey and you get arrested you're marched through the streets by police with their hands on your shoulders. You're questioned for a few hours then released.

If you're a female journalist who criticised Erdogan you have your hands handcuffed behind your back and you're dragged through the streets by your hair. Then you're raped and possibly questioned afterwards.

where do you get your info ?

I am curious as to how you got it all so topsy turvy ?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

The OP did a decent job at connecting the dots and making a reasonable argument instead of just parroting what he/she heard from others.

Actually , OP is parroting the neo-con & zionist propaganda .

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Lets see , NYT = Trump/Putin=BAD ....Erdogan/Putin=BAD ....If the CIA infested MSM has propaganda they want to get out then they will be consistent with their narrative ...you know like Sadam=BAD or Gadifie=BAD or Asaud=BAD ..Trump might call them fake news put this piece looks like pure propaganda imo

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I had originally agreed with the OP narrative but one only needs to see Turkey's sudden icy relations with the US and sudden kinship with Russia to see that's not the case.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Plus you can add that Russia was running air support for Turkeys ground forces in Syria while NATO/US was not .The US seems to becoming less and less in the ME ..What might be next is that NATO might have to close up shop in Turkey and they may be getting a little edgy

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

coup
ko͞o/
noun
a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

# not sudden
# not violent
# not illeagal
## in addition, he is already in power

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 23432

seems to me that so many people around here and out there dont know who stopped this Coup, it was the people of Turkey, because the Turkish people voted for him, and some people cant understand the fact that the Turkish people at that point of time gave the middle finger to those who supported and funded the Coup.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Fair enough I suppose.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Yes, but which Turks support him?

Erdogan claims to support secularism but his actions speak louder than his words. And if he and the majority of Turks wish to live in a Muslim country, then that is their right and I certainly understand why they would act accordingly.

But that doesn't make it an objectively good thing, particularly for the non-muslim turks.

Islam has an open door policy, but that door only seems to go in one direction. A country can become a muslim country but how does a country become secular? It is very rare for a country to become non-muslim. That's something that Kemal Ataturk accomplished, a rare feat. And why coups became a part of the reality of Turkey. It was an ongoing battle to keep the secular nation. This is especially good for the security of non muslims both in Turkey and neighboring. It seems, however, that that battle is lost, at least for the time being.
edit on 16-1-2017 by TheBlackTiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Yes she would. I have no reason to doubt that he will. In one of the articles listed it says fist fights have broken out in parliament over this. I don't think it really matters though because Erdogan has another party that supports him in his efforts that puts him over the threshold for it to be passed.

As with anything else I'm sure there is some kind of kick-back involved.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

But here it is all laid out. With supporting, albeit circumstantial, evidence to support the notion that Erdogan is seeking and taking steps to become the dictator of Turkey.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No I'm not.

Erdogan wanting a new constitution for Turkey that gives the president more power is words straight from him mouth.

The new constitution was voted on and passed by the Turkey's parliament.

An attempted, staged, coup actually happened in July of 2016 where some of the troops involved have stated that they were just following orders.

How are facts propaganda?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Once again I ask....

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

But there was no coup.

Troops were ordered to do what they did and now they, and thousands of others, are being punished to set the stage for Erdogan to seize power.

Yes the people revolted because they didn't know what was going on. They were unwitting actors in a political play by Erdogan.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gpols

No I'm not.

Erdogan wanting a new constitution for Turkey that gives the president more power is words straight from him mouth.

Strictly speaking , it's not Erdogan's idea to bring in a new constitution for Turks ; most Turks know that it is overdue more than 2 decades ; existing constitution doesn't serve Turks interests and Erdogan is actually getting rid of a military made constitution dated 1982 i.e COLD WAR years.
Incidentally , his powers to come will be awesome in the World because he will have given Turks what they want.

The new constitution was voted on and passed by the Turkey's parliament.

democracy at work ?

An attempted, staged, coup actually happened in July of 2016 where some of the troops involved have stated that they were just following orders.

i wouldn't call it staged ; Feto [ CIA ] thought they can " Do a Shah " on Erdogan .
Cold War rules gives CIA too much power for it's own good , they thought that they can " out-think " Erdogan ; they been had , they been took , duped by Turkish Gambit .
Remember you either smoke or get smoked ; name of the game.
Troops will be alright .

Often facts gets misused ; i am afraid by only observing the partial truth , one gets a one dimensional and superficial picture/view .

Real truth is Erdogan is succesfully establishing the fact that this coupe business is a Byzantium Conspiracy and he defeated them while being cordial about it .
Imperial Diplomacy , Ottoman's courtesy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join