It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Says Jail Denied Her Abortion and Forced Her to Give Birth- $1.5 million law suit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Interesting story, abortions while in jail. There is now a $1.5 million law suit pending because sKei'Choura Cathey was jailed and was not allowed the right to terminate her pregnancy, and when she was released it was too late.

Kei'Choura Cathey was in jail when she found out she was preggy. She wanted an abortion, the jail said no, unless it was to save mom's life, incest or rape. When she was released from jail, it was too late to get an abortion.

Kei’Choura Cathey was in jail when she realized she was pregnant.

But when she asked the Maury County, Tennessee sheriff’s office to obtain an abortion, she claims in a new lawsuit they denied her on the grounds that her pregnancy was not life-threatening. When she finally left jail, it was too late for her to legally terminate the pregnancy.

When incarcerated the law is murky for abortion rights and vary state by state. So Cathey entered a $1.5 million law suit because she was not allowed to get an abortion. She gave birth in April 2016.

Access to abortion, already limited for many Americans, can be even more complicated for incarcerated women. While inmates have a constitutional right to health care, inmates’ abortion rights are the subject of a murky set of policies that vary state by state, and even county by county. In her $1.5 million suit against Maury County and its sheriff, Cathey says her decision was left to the whims of county officials, who deemed the procedure unnecessary. She gave birth in April 2016

The sheriff who is named in the $1.5 million law suit said there is no specific policy. So to court they will go.

"We did not have a specific policy," Maury County Sheriff Bucky Rowland told Columbia, Tennessee’s News Channel 5. “Tennessee Corrections does not have a specific policy. It's really a gray area.”

But in Cathey’s case, the “gray area” looked more like an anti-abortion platform, allowing the procedure only if Cathey had been raped or her life was at risk.
www.thedailybeast.com...
edit on 15-1-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I would submit that SHE was the reason she was pregnant and SHE was the reason she was in jail and SHE got what she deserved.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
She's gonna get that taxpayer money one way or another.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

There are an awful lot of freedoms lost when you are jailed, abortion must be on the list.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The article says that the "sheriff" denied her funding. The State or county has no obligation to pay for an inmate's abortion, unless it's the result of rape.

she contacted Maury County Sheriff Bucky Rowland, informing him of her wish to obtain an abortion. Without an official abortion policy at the jail, Cathey’s access to the procedure depended on the sheriff’s decision. But he allegedly refused to provide transportation to or funding for the procedure, calling her abortion unnecessary if Cathey’s life wasn’t at risk.

edit on 15-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

unless it was to save mom's life, incest or rape.

Well that makes sense. Given the above wasn't a part of her situation, she has no reason for an abortion. I can't wrap my head around the idea of suing another entity because you gave birth to your child. What a disgrace. How do you hold a newborn infant and decide you want to sue an entity?

Some women seem to think they can go out and get hammered and screw any guy who comes along, just spread their legs for anyone and then turn around and murder the child. Absolutely ridiculous. Society needs to stop pampering un-responsible women.

You go out and get pregnant, you hold the responsibility of raising that child. Period.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Doesnt Planned Parenthood do abortion procedures at very low or no cost to women in situations such as this?

ETA: not saying I agree with PP, but just that I thought this was kind of one of the "services" they provide

edit on pm11201717America/Chicago15p09pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Metallicus

There are an awful lot of freedoms lost when you are jailed, abortion must be on the list.

Good.

We don't need state sponsored murder in our jails for women who can't keep their legs closed or use birth control.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Some women seem to think they can go out and get hammered and screw any guy who comes along, just spread their legs for anyone and then turn around and murder the child. Absolutely ridiculous. Society needs to stop pampering un-responsible women.

This doesn't have anything to do with "some women's" behavior. This has to do with this woman not having the funds on her own, and the sheriff not having the authority, nor willingness, to use public funds for her situation. If she had her own money, and then was denied her abortion, she might have a case.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
nvm, she wanted a free abortion. Nope.
edit on 15-1-2017 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Whereas to me its pretty simple. Its paid for under 9 weeks.

No sacrifice of baby being cut apart to get out.

And women's needs are also met.

And prison doesn't take away these fundamental ABC's and 123's of life.

Also, is she a rapist/murderer/corrupt politician, because I don't believe in prison for most crimes, except the extremely violent ones and the ones where an evil creep is mismanaging the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
silly criminals that that they should be allowed the same freedoms and rights as law abiding citizens even when they are in jail.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Knee replacements, hip replacements, heart surgery, lasick eye surgery- are you sure?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Really? Tennessee will pay for an incarcerated woman's aabortion, not from rape or incest, as long as it's under 9 weeks?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

You go out and get pregnant, you hold the responsibility of raising that child. Period.

Responsibility? YES.

Making decisions that are right for you. Its NO ONE else's business.

And it takes TWO to get pregnant.

edit on 15-1-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I edited, but in response to what you read originally, surgical procedures shouldn't be denied due to incarceration. If they can afford it.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

The story didn't mention her not having funding. This is a non emergency "procedure", her life was not in danger. The courts will have to figure this out.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
most women aren't really entitle to free abortions in the states.. some states maybe, but I don't think tennesee would be one of those. now if she had the funds to pay for the abortion, I would see things differently.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

The story didn't mention her not having funding. This is a non emergency "procedure", her life was not in danger.

Yes it did, and I quoted it in my original post. www.abovetopsecret.com...

But he allegedly refused to provide transportation to or funding for the procedure, calling her abortion unnecessary if Cathey’s life wasn’t at risk.

And let me tell you something else! It's not up to a sheriff to decide if a pregnancy will put a woman's life at risk, that's up to a doctor. Dumb #

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I don't know, she is in jail. There are a million and one elective procedures. There will have to be some guidelines, and it sounds like the sheriff's rape, incest, life of mom is a sensible one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join