It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floyd MayWeather

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I never liked Mayweather as a boxer, but i cant take away his talent. I was always rooting for PacMan, mostly cause i love fighting and not tactics.
Or quote Mike Tyson at his best moments;" Everyones got a plan until they get punched in the face ".

Boxing was dying slowly for decades, no characters to fill the gap between beasts and humans. No monsters for display for the world to be amazed at, no freak show unless its spelled WWE, and they started to look like you and me, even act as a class acts. What was the fun to see ordinary men fight like it was a friendly quarrel.

Humans want the show as much as they want to see blood on the floor, we want to see hero against the bad guy, the underdog against the favorite, we want a story to remember to tell our grandkids.

The promotion i saw yesterday, made me remember why i watch the golden age of boxing. MayWeather has built a camp of great boxers, and seated himself as a mentor, among people who only has their self interest.

I might not like Floyd as boxer, but he has all my respect as a mentor and i do hope he and Conor McGregor box it out, even though i know Floyd will win , im still gonna rote for the Underdog..
edit on 2017115 by tikbalang because: image

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
As an ex boxer myself i have seen the sport of kings die not because of the monsters and blood but the corruption.

I have seen people dominate in the ring and lose, i have seen people with great parrying ability who dont get touched lose because of a dated point system. Fighters are fed to manipulate their stats.
This is why people are flocking to UFC!

Mayweather is awesome an immortal, people love to hate him but they still pay to watch him, him and MacGregor will only be an exhibition match at best, you dont challenge Floyd in his house unless some exemptions are made.

Btw as a coincidence my kids start boxing this afternoon.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
i do hope he and Conor McGregor box it out, even though i know Floyd will win , im still gonna rote for the Underdog..

McGregor will knook him oot in the fourthst round.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

From what I read on another site, Dana white offered and asked Floyd if he is interested in fighting mcgregor and Floyd laughed about it and called Dana a comedian, Dana offered Floyd 25 million plus ppv winnings. Seems like Floyd is not interested unless it's for really huge amounts of money.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: powertec120

25 show money + PPV i believe its gonna end up around 40-50. He will never get the PacMan money, i believe at most, maybe 70.. Conor i believe will just get the showmoney, no PPV.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Floyd is talented but it not a guy who will take on all comers.If it is not for big money than forget it.How long did we wait for him vs Pacman?
He is talented but I would love to see Conor MacGregor hand his ass to him.
Too bad 25 million isn't enough.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Swizzle
I know it would be interesting to see, but a lot people have pointed out and agreed that for this specialty fight Floyd would want somewhere in the 100 million range to fight mcgregor.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

i do hope he and Conor McGregor box it out, even though i know Floyd will win , im still gonna rote for the Underdog..

Noot quieet tru me lad.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Mayweather is a woman beating schmuck, he deserves zero respect.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: skunkape23

Noot quieet tru me lad.

I'll bet you an 'I told you so."

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Im voting for Floyd, 3rd or 4rd TKO

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Im voting for Floyd, 3rd or 4rd TKO
Floyd may drag it out to a win by decision. If McGregor can land one of those left nuclear-bombs the game is over.
I do realize it is hard to land one on Mayweather's chin. He is slippery as they come.
I just wish they would stop talking about it and get it on.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

He got beaten by a mediocre boxer in Nate how do you think he would do against one of the all time greatest?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23 ya fookin rite about dat..........conor is a freak, he would knock that fool out quick with that lazer jab. I stil want a rematch with Aldo although I think conor will win again, sucks he isn't fighting next ufc fights.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I dont watch that much boxing but the fights I seen of him, are overrated. That fight with pacman should have been called a draw, in fact pac scored more hits on the fight and while Mayweather scored some that were more clean none of them did any if much damage.

At the end of the fight it looked like Pacquiao just went for a jog, and Mayweather was just cruising. It was a snore fest, watching ballet was more entertaining. Not to take anything from Mayweather, he is a extremely good counterboxer and a much much better self promoter, and knows when to fight and who at what time, generally when there not in there peak, but he is far from the best boxer of all time.

As for McGregor, he to is a bit overrated, he beat Aldo, and in a rematch I dont think Aldo will fall for that again. He lost to Nate Diaz, and on there second fight that to should have been declared a draw, I dont think Macgregor did enough to warrant a clear cut win in that fight. And he also beat Alvarez, which was a clear cut domination, but for whatever reason Alvarez was not in the game that night.

In all 2 win's over some good fighters still don't contend him to be any dominating champion. The guy is good, but if he fought more high caliber guys, his reign will end prematurely.

That is the problem I think, to much favoritism and to much money now in sports. If mma goes the way of boxing and the whole shinanigans of Mayweather, of waiting and draging on supposed fights till one guy is old and on his way out the door. WTF is the point of that? Were is the competition when a guy can beat 2 guys and be on top of the game? Or draw things out and structure them in such a way and hype them that a regular fight against somebody on his way out is considered great?

And if Mayweather and Connor are doing to fight, I hope its under MMA rules. It would be quite a snore fest to see Mayweather tie up Connor in a hug every few minutes and hit him with pitter patter till he gets the score. That or at least box with MMA gloves on, that way it wont get past the 2 round and everybody can go on and get on with there life's already and go back to playing pokemon go.

But its not going to happen. He has to much at stake to lose, in his image. And even though I am quite sure Macgregor will gladly dance around the ring for a few measly 50 million or so, who wouldn't right? But its going to be a snore fest if its under boxing rules.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Swizzle
Ya exactly that fight should have happened years ago before it happened. Cant believe anybody was stoked when it finally did happen. I mean if i wanted prolonged drama I would watch the WWE, but then again people like that sort of stuff. Its why connor is so popular right now.

And it is entertaining I admit, but none of that mystique would last if there was pure actual competition. I would be more interested in the McGregor vs Nurmagomedov fight then the whole Mayweather thing as its sort of a gimmick. If MacGregor fights Mayweather in boxing he is going to get outboxed and if he is in trouble just get tied up. And if they fight in MMA which will not happen, MaGregor will send Mayweather out on a stretcher and in the first round likely.

So what is the point of it? Why bother doing these sort of fights when there just for show and have no substance? I mean for the money obviously, but come on, its kind of pointless. Let them stick to there own thing, and if MacGregor does not defend his tittle kick him out and take his belt, we dont need a paper champion who is not willing to take on all challengers, were would have to wait years for some fight which should have happened years ago finally happens.

If that happens people may as well watch WWE at least there productions and dramas are more entertaining.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
People may not like Floyd but you have to understand what he did. He forced a dying sport to pay him 120 million in his final dance. I don't see him risking anything in the future. What does he have left to gain? I bought the PacMan fight....what a waste of money but I still love his style of fighting. It's so mathematical. I will agree that it is an archaic way of judging a fight but that isn't his fault for perfecting it. He can't be hit with the confines of boxing rules...obviously I am exaggerating his abilities but the mathematics of his career can't be denied. He rarely lets his opponent hit him.

I'll admit that I personally do not enjoy UFC. I can't stand watching two men roll around on the ground for any length of time. I like boxing...it's just....dead. There isn't any competition left. That's my two cents.

edit on 15-1-2017 by TacticalStats because: typos....

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yeah it would be just a circus.

a reply to: galadofwarthethird

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

I think the UFC has been a huge wake up call for Boxing around the world. Firstly the UFC fighters do not get paid what the boxers do and yet literally on the last 4 UFCs all the fights have been brutal and every fighter gives his all. I noticed Sunday morning a massive difference in the boxing camp in that its like Maywaether/Hearn (taking a leaf out Danas book) and others have said look the bottom line is we need you to up your game and we need exciting fights to get bums back on seats.
A woman's UFC fight is more brutal than most the boxing matches played out the last 5/6 years. Don't get me wrong there have been some classic boxing matches but overall UFC fighters give their all more and its a rarity that boxers go all out like some of the classic fights we have seen. Dillian Whyte vs Derick Chisora was the sorts of fights boxing needs and then Sunday morning every fight was amazing, Probably the best nights boxing I have seen in years.

Mayweather is a Legend and he is one of those guys I don't really like but he is the Best boxer I have ever seen and lost me so much money through the years (always betting against him as don't like him) I have been blessed to grow up watching this guy and now as a promotor I am hoping they take it to another level. I dread the day I choose a massive UFC night over a Huge boxing night but as it stands for all out excitement the UFC is electric right now. I also don't think they get through a boxing card quick enough and there is so much waiting around between fights, UFC its pretty much one guy gets dragged out and another two lions straight thrown in, keep the crowd happy and it shows. I have been to some great boxing matches live, Hatton vs Costa Tzu was without a shadow of a doubt my best sporting experience to date but even then we had to wait about for hours which just makes people a bit aggravated.

And for all those fight experts. In a boxing match (Mayweather vs McGregor) Money Man would win hands down, probably all 12 rounds by points. However Mayweather would not even entertain going in the Octagon against McGregor as he would be sparked out in seconds so that does kind of tell me everything I need to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TacticalStats
It would be. But not necessarily.

I think MacGregor is smart enough to know that in MMA there are just to many ways to lose, that its only a matter of time. People give it gripes because there is almost a new champion every time there is a championship fight. But even in boxing at its beginning they fought with smaller gloves on at first, and most fights did not leave the first round especially in the heavyweight division.

They only introduced those big 10 oz gloves. Not to protect the boxer, not even that they would suffer less physical or mental damage, or damage to there hands, but purely for entertainment purposes. As with bigger gloves the matches would go on longer, and it would be more of a show, and more spectacular. Its what people wanted to see, and what sold.

I heard today that Connor will not be defending his belt and the there will be some interim belt thing going on again. And also that he got a boxing license, or whatever. So I take it that there is a chance that he will go box Mayweather. To tell the truth he could win against Mayweather.

All he has to do is not play his game, should be easy for Connor, dont get frustrated and dont engage in a constant chase down, and if Mayweather is on the defensive and wont come in. Literally play a fool, call him a bitch so the whole crowd can hear, do a little piroet, take out a book from your shorts and pretend that your reading while waiting for him to fight.

You know, something to get under his skin, and to get him to come to you and out of his game. His whole style is defensive and counter-fighting, even if you have to just stand there and dont engage at all, literally for 7 rounds, once the crowd starts booing eventually he will have to quit playing that game and come in. After that should not be that hard to knock him out or catch him even with those gloves on.

I dont know why other boxer never tried that before, or something similar. I mean everybody has heard of never fight your opponent at his strengths. Which in this case would be counter boxing and getting under peoples skin, which is what from the 2 or 3 fights I seen oh him is Mayweathers specialty.

He frustrates people with his style more or less and wins on points, from what I seen, and is a great defensive and conterfighter, but its that whole frustrating his opponents with the whole cant be touched nonesense which gets it to that point. So his counterfighting and defensive skills are based on how much he can irritate his opponents during fights and get them to be single minded attacks which he is expecting, instead of doing all kinds of attacks he is not expecting. The guy even has an attitude and face that makes you want to punch it. To bad an MMA match is out of the question, a good shin kick to the face or elbow to the orbital bone, will clear that up right away.

But anyways. Now that MacGregor, is gonna go box, he may be better suited for boxing then MMA in some ways. That and no more 1 or 2 year hold up and drama over belts. And the whole she said, he said. The # talking and posturing and melodrama build up before fights can stay, its actually pretty entertaining, but that whole dragging on things forever should definitely go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join