It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President elect Trump and his Twitter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm not sure blaming Trump's tweets for how you feel when you read them is reasonable enough to make such a demand. Self-control is far more beneficial to society than imploring others how they should act and speak.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The irony of that statement

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

The irony of that statement

No irony. I am not telling him how he should act and speak, only that it is unreasonable.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: underwerks
Either Trump sets higher standards for himself, or continues to lower the standards of the office of the President. You probably don't have to guess which one my money is on.

If the standards of the presidency is about messaging and public relations, I suppose that might be the case, but perhaps the standards of the leader of the free world should focus on results and not what he posts on Twitter. The low standards of the American press and public should do some soul searching on the matter.

Should, yes, But that's not the reality. As long as Trump posts on Twitter, that's what the focus will be on. If he doesn't realize that it raises even more questions in my mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Either Trump sets higher standards for himself, or continues to lower the standards of the office of the President. You probably don't have to guess which one my money is on.

If the standards of the presidency is about messaging and public relations, I suppose that might be the case, but perhaps the standards of the leader of the free world should focus on results and not what he posts on Twitter. The low standards of the American press and public should do some soul searching on the matter.

Should, yes, But that's not the reality. As long as Trump posts on Twitter, that's what the focus will be on. If he doesn't realize that it raises even more questions in my mind.

You're correct, of course. A Trump tweet will make front page news, and make the superstitious clutch their pearls in fear. But it is clear who needs to get over it.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

This is where I find the irony

Self-control is far more beneficial to society than imploring others how they should act and speak

Just how I perceive it perhaps, we are talking about Trump's lack of self control.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

This is where I find the irony

Self-control is far more beneficial to society than imploring others how they should act and speak

Just how I perceive it perhaps, we are talking about Trump's lack of self control.

In that case I agree. He rarely filters what he thinks and has an impulsive tongue. But I think that is the only place he lacks self-control.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You're correct, of course. A Trump tweet will make front page news, and make the superstitious clutch their pearls in fear. But it is clear who needs to get over it.

You're right, it is clear who needs to get over it, though I assume we probably disagree with the "who".

Either the President elect can stop ranting and attacking people on his social media and making the news from it, and for once act like he has a little bit of dignity, or the American public can all at once change everything about how they view social media. Which one do you think is more doable?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'm looking at this from a "how it looks" perspective. I do my share of defending the lies told about him, and some of the stupid stories, so I feel like I have the right to have an opinion on how he appears to the world. What he did worked for what he wanted to accomplish. He made it. He is "the guy". If he wanted a validation of his bravado, being elected president is a pretty strong indicator that it worked.

But when I see him tweet snarky comments that I would be embarrassed to tweet or post, it makes me cringe. I'd just like to see some restraint when it comes to being provoked. Think about it like this, when you see a lefty get trolled into making a bunch of crazy comments defending an un-defendable position, like Clinton is a sweet lady, eventually you feel sorry for that poster, and wish they would just stop.

If he could make the kind of retorts that quality ATSers use to slap someone down, within the T&C and still command respect, the world would marvel at his wittiness, like we do with a few here, you included.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Well he has not taken office yet so we will see..I question his emotional maturity at times.
I do hope for the best.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

You're right, it is clear who needs to get over it, though I assume we probably disagree with the "who".

Either the President elect can stop ranting and attacking people on his social media and making the news from it, and for once act like he has a little bit of dignity, or the American public can all at once change everything about how they view social media. Which one do you think is more doable?

It isn't a matter of what is more doable for me, but what is more right or wrong.

One of the few revelations of the DNC hack was the extent to which the tweets were drafted by an army of staffers and consultants, and not by the person whose account it was. Sure they were more dignified, but they were no more than public relations ploys. I personally prefer having the option of knowing what's on my leader's minds instead of the song and dance routine.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I don't want people to marvel at his wittiness but at his results. Otherwise the presidency is no more than an elected monarchy. The time of talk is over; enter the age of action.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I don't want people to marvel at his wittiness but at his results. Otherwise the presidency is no more than an elected monarchy. The time of talk is over; enter the age of action.

I agree, but action without drama would be super. But then, maybe giving the left something legitimate to whine about might be what the underlying goal here is. I mean, he can't keep hiring hookers to piss on stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

If he could make the kind of retorts that quality ATSers use to slap someone down, within the T&C and still command respect, the world would marvel at his wittiness, like we do with a few here, you included.

If he could - but he can't

It's no secret how I feel about all this, so no doubt you'll think I can't be objective. I want to point something out:

What he did worked for what he wanted to accomplish. He made it. He is "the guy". If he wanted a validation of his bravado, being elected president is a pretty strong indicator that it worked.

It worked - but it may not have been as much on purpose as you give him credit for. It worked - because people believed it was a sincere attempt to topple the status quo and destroy the kind of politics that didn't make them feel important and included. Trump supporters were in on the joke

But it wasn't a joke. This is Donald J. Trump

When Trump came on the air, the first thing Bannon wanted to talk about was how well Trump was doing in his campaign — and how Bannon had noticed it before other people did.

“I said, ‘This guy, people are leaning forward in these audiences when he’s talking,’ ” Bannon said, recalling earlier conversations about Trump’s run. “And we were mocked and ridiculed.”

Bannon recognized a phenomenon. He's a genius at this

In those exchanges, a dynamic emerged, with Bannon often coaxing Trump to agree to his viewpoint, whether on climate change, foreign policy or the need to take on Republican leaders in Congress.

At times, Bannon seemed to coach Trump to soften the harder edges of his message, to make it more palatable to a broader audience, while in other cases he pushed Trump to take tougher positions. He flattered Trump, praising his negotiating skills and the size of his campaign crowds.

The conversations marked a coming-together of Trump, who at the time was a pariah among many top Republicans, and the alt-right, a loosely defined term describing a far-right ideology that includes opposition to immigration and “globalism” and had found a home in the Breitbart News empire. The alt-right movement has also been saturated with white-nationalist rhetoric, prompting criticism of Bannon’s appointment this week, though Bannon has said the movement is not racist.

WashPo - I know. Fake news and a sworn enemy - no doubt

This is exactly what it looks like. He has his cabinet in place - more or less. People love his choices - more or less. I say all this with some restraint :-)

It all remains to be seen - how honest, how on the up and up this election was - whether we on the left are desperate and delusional, if the CIA is playing favorites, if Trump really is a genius or just a commodity that some people believed they could sell

The twitter thing? This is your guy. This is for real - and unless they close his account - he is our Twitterer in Chief

edit on 1/15/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It isn't a matter of what is more doable for me, but what is more right or wrong.

One of the few revelations of the DNC hack was the extent to which the tweets were drafted by an army of staffers and consultants, and not by the person whose account it was. Sure they were more dignified, but they were no more than public relations ploys. I personally prefer having the option of knowing what's on my leader's minds instead of the song and dance routine.

What you're seeing IS the Trump song and dance routine. Same song, different dance.

And really, how do you know that's him tweeting? Maybe his PR people are running it and still saying outrageous things in some kind of long-game? I guess unless China hacks the Trump admin we'll never know, right?

Thing is, you can't expect the majority of people in America to bend to Trumps will, or anybody's for that matter. If the President doesn't want to correct a small thing about how he relates to the American public for the good of the American public, then that says a lot more than can be put in 140 characters.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Trump is not in charge of investigating HIllary. That is the FBI duties and they still have the case open. They are just waiting for a more supportive DOJ under Sessions. I have a filling before Trump's presidency is over, she will be prosecuted.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

ok. What about his other lies? His exaggerations and outright frivolous claims.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I didn't vote her but if you think Trump isn't a criminal as well your blind. He's clearly just as corrupt and dishonest as Clinton. Remember, he just settled 25 million for his Trump university scam and he's currently controlled by Wall Street, just like Clinton was.

Oh yeah, and his charity foundation was shut down by NYS AG and currently is under investigation. Real peach you voted for.

edit on 15-1-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Trump hits back.

After he taunts and insults and "hits" others.
You got that part right.

Any person who uses "Twitter" or even "Facebook" or "Reddit" to get ACTUAL NEWS is a naive person ------

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

What you're seeing IS the Trump song and dance routine. Same song, different dance.

And really, how do you know that's him tweeting? Maybe his PR people are running it and still saying outrageous things in some kind of long-game? I guess unless China hacks the Trump admin we'll never know, right?

Thing is, you can't expect the majority of people in America to bend to Trumps will, or anybody's for that matter. If the President doesn't want to correct a small thing about how he relates to the American public for the good of the American public, then that says a lot more than can be put in 140 characters.

If very well could be someone else tweeting for him, and I would have to admit I fell for it.

It will be interesting to see if he carries on using his Twitter once he's inaugurated. But it would be silly to suppose that is how he will govern. He actually visited Louisiana during the floods, called the families of slain police officers, did numerous press conferences and interviews, and went to all over the country during the campaign, which is far more than anyone else did. His silence over the transition is a little deafening, but not as much as the amount of talking he did over the campaign.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join