It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico warns Trump on tariffs: We'll respond 'immediately'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Great post!

You can find similar information elsewhere, so don't fret the Al Jazeera link..its just the one I pulled from the top, having read the article before.

In this era of fake news and/or terribly biased news, I have found the Al Jazeera network on cable to actually be a great source of "straight news"....info presented clearly and cogently with little to no bias.

Never thought I would be saying that, but it's a fact.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

And in the process throw the world into another depression. I was for av tariff as well until I actually looked into it. We tried the same thing back in the late twenties and it effectively caused the great depression. So doing it again probably wouldn't be a great idea.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

No, sorry. Placing a tariff on Mexican imports will not create a global recession.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter
and is this tariff on all mexican goods i thoght it was just on us based companies that send work overseas and only on the products they build elsewhere and then import back to us,.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Screw Mexico. I am so sick and tired of every other country being more important than out own. We have our own kids here to worry about. Stop being a bunch of pussy eating dirt bags.

And why would someone post some dumb ass nonsense like this?

What, are they going to toss some tacos at us?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21758692]Phage[/post

Don't be stupid! There is no artificial price increase. If the tariff is imposed, the price goes up, and then it costs too much, so people stop buying it. Ford, for example, would then have to sell it's pieces of # somewhere else. But, most countries don't have as much money as the US, and US consumers like to buy stuff, so it would only be a loss for the company.

Tax the living balls out of these POS companies that make things in other countries and sell them back to us, after they laid off our neighbors.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver

And in the process throw the world into another depression. I was for av tariff as well until I actually looked into it. We tried the same thing back in the late twenties and it effectively caused the great depression. So doing it again probably wouldn't be a great idea.

That's not what "Caused" the Great Depression. It's not like one little thing caused the Great Depression. It was a culmination of factors, you nit wit.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Raising tariffs is the wrong way to do it that just makes things more expensive for us. the way to do it is add a "build the wall surcharge" to everything that is exported to Mexico so that they pay more for everything imported from the U.S. and they end up paying for the wall.

Mexico will pay for the wall indirectly. Mexico's dumb president might have figured it out by now, but the old president still didn't figure it out, like most Americans too. Most of the people are simply too stupid to understand the economic relationships between two countries that exist, giving us the ability to manipulate them indirectly, and thus to pay for the wall indirectly.

For example, Ford cars cost more because of a tariff, so American sales go down. The plant that made those cars lays off Mexican workers. The Mexican economy now suffers. The American economy wouldn't matter, as the car was not made here to begin with.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Actually I didn't say that.

But if you think that increasing the price of consumer goods by taxation is a good thing how about you telling me about it.

Whoa there Phage, you aren't actually saying you don't understand how the concept works right??

I mean it's pretty basic. The price doesn't HAVE to go up, but if you IMPORT the product, it will have a tariff applied. This general concept has been very successful in getting the Japanese and German automakers to build plants here which employ Americans.

And lets say that the product is something that America doesn't make, or American companies simply cannot compete with, even with tarriffs, well the funds collected from tarriffs help pay the unemployment checks for the Americans who can't afford the daily commute to China/Taiwan/Malaysia/Bangladesh to get a job.

Pretty simple eh?

It also keeps funds here INSIDE America, so while yes, if 90% of what we consume in America was MADE in America, the product prices would rise, the overall money IN the American economy will also rise. Well all end up with more money in pocket collectively because most of the thigns we SPEND our money on, will go to pay American wages along the way.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: rxh0272
IF there are actions by the American regime, there will be actions taken by Mexico. Any Mexican regime that did not retaliate would be very unpopular, for reasons of national pride, and not retain power for long. Do you think the Mexicans are stupid? Well, they are not, they will target specific factories in the U.S. or plants that sell stuff to Mexico that are going to find their sales dry up. They will pick out products that are very harmful to the politicians who support Trump and put a tariff on them, or a quota to make it difficult for them to compete.

Trump wants to create the storyline that he is creating jobs for America. Bullying tactics and tweets along with a bit of media spin will suffice. If he truly thinks that trade wars are the route to a better economy, he is crazy.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rxh0272

Screw Mexico. I am so sick and tired of every other country being more important than out own. We have our own kids here to worry about. Stop being a bunch of pussy eating dirt bags.
What, are they going to toss some tacos at us?

If we're lucky, Mexico will retaliate against Trump's USA by forcing all U.S. corporations to close their doors in that country and go back home.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
and is this tariff on all mexican goods i thoght it was just on us based companies that send work overseas and only on the products they build elsewhere and then import back to us,.

Yes, you have it right.

The tariff/tax will just be levied against those US companies that close down existing operations in the US and move those operations to Mexico or wherever, in order to save money on labor costs, the costs of complying with US regulations, etc. Same holds true for new or upgraded manufacturing endeavors that US companies would launch outside of US borders for the same reasons.

The tariff or tax is the stick Trump wants to use.

The carrot in this scenario is that Trump is promising to get rid of a lot of the more onerous regulations that make it both difficult and expensive to keep those manufacturing operations here.

His position seems to already be having a positive impact although people can/will argue about the "true" level of his policy's impact on these announcements and decisions.

His approach may not be a panacea for this issue, but I applaud him for jumping in and trying to do *something* about the status quo, as things would just continue to get worse if no changes were made.

edit on 1/16/2017 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

He is willing to "hunt differently".

And while i really do not like him, in the lesser of 2 evils that this election was, im happy to hold my nose while I support his effort. At least for the first little bit.

The things I hear sound very positive for the middle class.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21762351]carewemust[/po

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: rxh0272

If we're lucky, Mexico will retaliate against Trump's USA by forcing all U.S. corporations to close their doors in that country and go back home.

Yes

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I agree with you.

We have companies, like GM and Ford, that close US plants, lay off workers, move to Mexico, open up a brand new plant costing big bucks, and then make their vehicles in Mexico. They also use parts made in Mexico, so let us not forget that too. Then, they bring their vehicles back across the border and try and sell them to the people they laid off, among others.

Also, one thing I almost never here anyone talking is that, while they moved to Mexico for cheaper labor, the prices of their vehicles never went down, even without a tariff. Even if labor costs account for ~15% of total price, we would see a change in price. But, we have not. In fact, the prices keep going up.
Think about all the jobs loss to American companies moving to Mexico to make car parts.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Something to consider: we charge rather large tariff's on light trucks (pickups and vans) that are imported. Its why buying a nice truck is so damned expensive....tariffs keep the prices artificially inflated. Its also why we don't have much in the way of full size pickups and vans from foreign companies. And what killed the VW bus, which was hugely popular at the time the tariffs went into effect. It was over chickens or some nonsense that Nixon was on about with Germany.

So now you have Toyota manufacturing here in the US. Some companies will import the trucks/vans in a disassembled manner, then assemble them here in the US to bypass the tariffs. Point being: tariffs are not always a good thing. Think about it like this: how hard is it to buy a dependable work truck for someone trying to get started in the contracting world? How much does it hurt entrepreneurialism if someone starting a catering biz can't afford to buy the trucks/vans to do the job?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I gave up. The depths of economic and business ignorance on ATS are unfathomable.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Only Donald Trump would be able to Start the sequel to a 300 year old war lol.

THE MEXICAN AMERICAN WAR VOLUME 2: WALL OR NOTHING

in theaters Inauguration Day

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

So what about all of the domestic manufacturing industries that depend on imported materials to manufacture their goods ?

There may be exceptions for things like raw materials and such.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join