It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico warns Trump on tariffs: We'll respond 'immediately'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

There may be exceptions for things like raw materials and such.

Start a trade war and you don't get to dictate what other countries will do, it may be that Mexico and other countries have some pretty important raw materials that no longer flow into the country like they have in the past. It's a tit for tat thing, nobody really wins in a trade war.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

There may be exceptions for things like raw materials and such.

Start a trade war and you don't get to dictate what other countries will do, it may be that Mexico and other countries have some pretty important raw materials that no longer flow into the country like they have in the past. It's a tit for tat thing, nobody really wins in a trade war.

let me just put it this way, Mexico's economy is going to be hurting so badly they will sell us everything they possibly can. There will be no trade war with Mexico.

As far as "important raw materials no longer flowing into the country"..... like what? rare earth minerials from China? We can just amp up our production at home, in say like California. I cant remember the name of that company I almost invested in over there that mines it.

Anyways who needs a trade war? Why not just negotiate a new deal? Mexico has already stated they are open to renegotiating trade deals. I guess we will just see what happens.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I agree with your post.

I'd like to add that what I personally would like to see is a 'get tough on the corporations' instead of 'get tough with trading partners'. Corporations have had it way too easy, exploiting the labour pool in the name or profit. Full time jobs with benefits, be they in Mexico or the USA should be the rule, not the exception. Start putting some fear into these CEO's that have for so long treated the people that work for them as modern day slaves.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

I agree with your post.

I'd like to add that what I personally would like to see is a 'get tough on the corporations' instead of 'get tough with trading partners'. Corporations have had it way too easy, exploiting the labour pool in the name or profit. Full time jobs with benefits, be they in Mexico or the USA should be the rule, not the exception. Start putting some fear into these CEO's that have for so long treated the people that work for them as modern day slaves.

I agree.

Truthfully between a new trade structure (weather tariffs are used or not) and ..wait for it...lower taxes, we can make this economy boom again.

Lowering taxes will free up capital for corporations and small businesses. They will invest that capital on higher wages (especially if a large number of the work force has been deported) and expansion, creating more jobs.

I kinda feel bad for Mexico but they have had plenty of time to get their act together. How long have they been a country? They should have learned how to fish by now.

You know everytime I hear some A-hole on TV saying the Hispanics from the south work the jobs that Americans don't want anyway, I just want to reach through my TV and strangle them.

I have personally watch them DESTROY the construction trade in Florida. Jobs like carpentry, plumbing, drywall, all the major trades and almost every trade in between. Jobs that Americans DO want. Jobs that should pay 100k+ a year you are lucky if you get 30k a year. And that's a good approximation for just about all the major trades.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Didn't they just kill 5 and wound 15 at a club?

Seems we got our answer.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
Personally, I think that Trump should push Congress to tariff the hell out of Mexico until a 40' above ground, 20' below ground 4' thick concrete wall with machine gun turrets every 100 yards, radar, and seismographs is built and paid for, and all illegals are back in their countries of origin.

Lol you are dreaming. Do you have any idea how long the border is?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I do think that tariffs will encourage production in the US.

That's the whole point of it I believe. If you want to offshore the manufacturing of your product, and then bring it here to sell, that's fine, but it'll cost ya a bit. Build your factory here, then sell here, and reap the benefits of being the better priced option on the market. Other countries are free to do the same.

It's trying to reverse why the factories moved away in the first place. It was cheaper to produce outside the US, and import it here to sell, than to manufacture here.

Maybe we need to level the playing field a bit.

You should see some of the towns here in Ohio that have been all but decimated by the loss of manufacturing jobs, the steel industry, the auto industry too.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rxh0272

I had typed out a very long explanation but my browser refreshed and I lost it all. So I'll give you the short and skinny. This tariff was enacted in 1922 to help keep jobs in the country (hmmm sounds familiar) after the small depression we had proceeding WW1. Unfortunately other countries acted in kind and the increase in import costs effectively destabilized markets all across the globe. Which led to massive amounts of unemployment and the inevitable great depression that followed.

We are currently poised to have the same thing occur again .( Almost as if they wanted it this way). The only thing controlling whether we go into another depression and possibly a 3rd world War is how other countries react to these trump tariffs. Which aren't only going to be put on Mexico but China as well. So I guess as trump supporters like to say . We will have to wait and see how this turns out.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

If it were only Mexican imports then maybe so, but I do believe Trump wanted the same tariffs for China. If it is a straight tariff on all goods it would most certainly destabilize the world markets, as it did in the 1920s . Now If he can get commerce laws changed to where he can target specific companies then we should be ok for the most part. Doing so would possibly take time though. So it's difficult to say how this will play out without more details.
edit on 17-1-2017 by conscientiousobserver because: Small addition

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

Add Canada to the list, they are the largest trading partner the US has.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

From how he seems to be presenting it, it will be tariffs on any US based corporations that outsource manufacturing. Move the jobs out of the country to save on labor, lose those savings on import tariffs. I seriously don't see how that is a bad thing. It will drive American manufacturing, and believe it or not America really can be an isolationist country and meet almost all needs.

Now keep in mind isolationism does not mean cut off from the outside world, but rather renegotiating and having new standards of trade partners and agreements. At the onset of course it might shake up traded markets, but they are all artificially propped up and awaiting an inevitable major crash. Currently they are being purposefully mitigated regionally to avoid a complete crash overall. America will almost certainly have another one under a Trump presidency no matter what he does. It doesn't matter who became president this time around, the US is facing the next inevitable pop, and this time it seems to be a multi-faceted one, so it could go either way, really really bad, or just a mild one.

As long as we are outsourcing our manufacturing, the country will slowly continue dying. Right now America has cancer, but an isolated cancer. Think of it this way, you have cancer in your legs, and your options are cut off your legs and live a long life, or keep your legs and die in a few years. Initially the shock is no way I'm not cutting off my legs, but then you think about it, long and hard. You slowly start looking into what your actual options for cutting off your legs are. You start seeing that humanity via technology has actually come along pretty far, and you can get replacement legs. It will never be the same as your old legs, and will take a long time to get used to, but eventually you will adapt to the new legs and not die young.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join