It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico warns Trump on tariffs: We'll respond 'immediately'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
So it seems Mexico is actually getting worried. Considering their current social climate, I have to seriously laugh at this statement. Mexico is on the literal brink of a civil war, yet they have time enough to worry about Trump.

NAFTA is a trade agreement that has been a disastrous failure, and without it Mexico literally would not be the country they are today. Mexico has piggy-backed off the US for 4+ decades, and even though I might not like Trump, it's nice to see this sort of panic. It's not Obama hope and change, its actual holy # in your face CHANGE.

Mexico's economy minister sent Donald Trump a fighting message: We will retaliate right away if you hit us with a "major border tax." "It's very clear that we have to be prepared to immediately be able to neutralize the impact of a measure of that nature," economy minister Ildefonso Guajardo said Friday on a Mexican news show. Guajardo also predicted that Trump's threat of a 35% tariff against Mexico, if carried out, would result in a "global recession" because it would inhibit companies from producing outside the U.S. "It would be a problem for the entire world," Guajardo warned. A Trump tariff "will have a wave of impacts that can take us into a global recession," Guajardo said, speaking in

source
HAHA that last sentence really got me. Mexico, sorry, imposing a border tax on you will definitely NOT cause a global recession. You aren't that important, and TBH have been quite a burden on the US in recent times. Get your # together.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Jesus christ... mexico has an army?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Those are the words of a politician that is feeling desperation. (Mexico)

edit on 1/15/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
They better not cut off Corona!
That's what my dogs drink.

Guess I could switch to Tecate. wait - damnit! My dogs!

link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Haha makes me think of the joke - why doesn't Mexico have an olympic team? Because all the ones that can run, jump, and swim are in the US.

They have an army per se, unless Trump follows through on cutting off military financial aid to Mexico, which I believe is about $500 million a year(I definitely could be wrong on that number, been a while since I looked into it).

link   

Mexico, sorry, imposing a border tax on you will definitely NOT cause a global recession.

Trump did not say anything about restricting his tariffs (which, as President he cannot apply) exclusively to Mexico. Did he?

edit on 1/15/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
They better not cut off Corona!
That's what my dogs drink.

Guess I could switch to Tecate. wait - damnit! My dogs!

Dogs can't read, just switch the labels.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So you say tariffs will be a bad thing? Tell me more.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Yeah, but they know the taste.
I tried PBR once, they wouldn't touch it!

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Actually I didn't say that.

But if you think that increasing the price of consumer goods by taxation is a good thing how about you telling me about it.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Mexico's economy minister should be spending his time trying to figure out how to pay for the wall.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

I tried PBR once, they wouldn't touch it!

So did I, and I'm with your dogs, won't touch it

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Ok build the wall mexico! No need for tariffs muahahhhahahhaa

Laugh; cough

Or serously build the wall guys its much easier this way but my gut tells me the machismo is to strong with mexico and they will need to be pushed to the breaking point before they give in. At one point this was funny now its just sad that they havent even started until trump was sworn in to fall apart.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well, as a person well versed in business you should know manufacturing is a pretty small portion of the overall cost of goods. Prices will not be doubling, if anything it would be a marginal increase of maybe 15-20% overall price increase. The reverse side of that is there is more dollars being produced and circulated in the US, which would basically offset the increase in overall statistics. Gubermint likes that because it equates to increased income tax revenue.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

At one point this was funny now its just sad that they havent even started until trump was sworn in to fall apart.

Trump has not been sworn in.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Mexico, sorry, imposing a border tax on you will definitely NOT cause a global recession.

Trump did not say anything about restricting his tariffs (which, as President he cannot apply) exclusively to Mexico. Did he?

Lol yes he did say he would impose tariffs on mexico and yes he does have the power to do it.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

No.
The President cannot impose tariffs.

Unless you think that Mexico comprises a National Emergency. I thought he was against circumventing Congress.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

No.
The President cannot impose tariffs.

Not directly with the stroke of a pen, which unfortunately most believe he can, however with having the political trifecta he absolutely can get something passed.

Props to harry Reid and the nuclear initiative

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

No.
The President cannot impose tariffs. Unless you think that Mexico comprises a National Emergency.
I thought he was against circumventing Congress.

As a matter of law, Congress has granted to the President the authority to withdraw from certain trade agreements as well as impose tariffs on nations engaging in unfair trade practices with the US.

He wants to end nafta and mexico even said it would go over trade deals with trump. They will fold like a folding chair. Its over when he hasnt even become sitting president yet and mexico is already ripping its self apart.
edit on 15-1-2017 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

So, It's ok for Donny to do it but not anyone else?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join