It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump will keep Russia sanctions for period of time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Donald Trump has said he will keep sanctions against Russia in place "at least for a period of time".
However, the President-elect told the Wall Street Journal that he might do away with the sanctions if Moscow proves helpful in battling terrorists and achieving other goals.
He said: "If you get along and if Russia is really helping us, why would anybody have sanctions if somebody's doing some really great things?"
Mr Trump also told the newspaper he is prepared to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin some time after he is sworn in on 20 January.
"I understand that they would like to meet, and that's absolutely fine with me," he said.
The sanctions were imposed by the Obama administration in late December in response to Moscow's alleged cyberattacks during the election campaign.
They targeted the GRU and FSB, leading Russian intelligence agencies that the US said were involved in the hacking of the Democratic National Committee and other groups.
The US also kicked out 35 Russian diplomats who it said were actually intelligence operatives.
:: When does Donald Trump become President?
The remarks by Mr Trump come at a time when alleged ties between his campaign and Russia - and his own friendly posture toward Moscow - have come under intense scrutiny.
On Friday it emerged that Mr Trump's national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and Russia's ambassador to Washington, Sergey Kislyak, have been in frequent contact in recent weeks, including on the day the Obama administration imposed the sanctions.
While it is not unusual for incoming administrations to have discussions with foreign governments before taking office, the timings of the contacts would raise questions about whether Mr Trump's team discussed Russia's response to the measures.
Mr Trump has promised a friendlier relationship with Moscow.
"If Putin likes Donald Trump, I consider that an asset, not a liability, because we have a horrible relationship with Russia," he said on Wednesday during his first news conference since the election.
He repeatedly dismissed US intelligence agencies' assertions about Russia's role in the hacking of Democratic groups, though he acknowledged for the first time during the news conference that he accepts that Moscow was behind the hacking.
Mr Trump has rejected as "fake news" a report that includes unsubstantiated claims that Russia had amassed compromising personal and financial information about him.
He blamed the report on "sleazebag political operatives".
The report was put together by a former British spy, Christopher Steele, who is now thought to have fled his Surrey home fearing for his and his family's safety.
In the interview with the WSJ, Mr Trump also said he would not commit to the "One China" policy until he sees progress from Beijing in its currency and trade practices.
"Everything is under negotiation including One China," he said.
The US acknowledgement of the Chinese position that Taiwan is part of China had underpinned relations between Washington and Beijing for decades.
Mr Trump already angered the Chinese by taking a congratulatory phone call after his election win from Taiwan's leader and questioning the "one China" policy.

edit on 14-1-2017 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Good move by DJT. Use Russia against jihadists. Putin is no friend and no enemy. Only someone to be used.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Good move by DJT. Use Russia against jihadists. Putin is no friend and no enemy. Only someone to be used.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
NFL

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The deck is being stacked against any offer of an olive branch, as we speak... a "deterrent against Russian aggression" and any attempts by Trump to make peace. Warmongers laughing under their breath.

stripes

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJT45

lol.. Let me get this straight. You going to use russia against you ?

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
NFL

I have a feeling there is a very distinct demographic that will get your post...
You got the star from me.

The kids and the old folks might have it go over their heads.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
People should be aware, this image from a German port dashes the diplomacy propaganda. Talking peace while preparing for war, crying havoc and unleashing the dogs of war. These aren't preparing for peace...

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
it's been their plan all along. he'll have to keep the sanctions in place for a time, but eventually he'll lift them, probably after the next "event". putin knows this, which is why he didn't get all butt hurt about the sanctions. it's so obvious.

then they'll go bat ass crazy in the middle east and take their oil. they'll both get richer, and worse, more powerful. yay.

it's what his supporter want too, they're just too pussy to admit it. they'd rather cry nonsense about how it's not Hillary.

putin feared Hillary but trump's his bitch. it's funny.

edit on 14-1-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: Gothmog
NFL

I have a feeling there is a very distinct demographic that will get your post...
You got the star from me.

The kids and the old folks might have it go over their heads.

Yeah, I get into a bit of taunt the unlearned sometimes.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If he just yanked the sanctions right off the bat there would be no way that he could argue that he isn't beholding to Putin. He has to make it 'look' like he's being impartial and 'tough' --- at least until people stop paying attention --- and then he'll quietly get rid of the sanctions. There is 0% chance that won't happen. That was Putin's end-game all along. That is the pro quo at the end of the quid.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

People should be aware, this image from a German port dashes the diplomacy propaganda. Talking peace while preparing for war, crying havoc and unleashing the dogs of war. These aren't preparing for peace...

Have to keep the war machine going until the tariffs take effect and the wall is built and the US becomes a magically ethical nation that is full of smiling white faces and well manicured lawns again.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
there are a lot of republicans who voted for trump in the hope that he would fix stuff HERE, in our country. they want out of the nonsense in the middle east. I hope they see what's so obviously being played out here, and speak up!

putin doesn't need to be any more powerful, that's a scary thought. he's the richest person IN THE WORLD and his country is in bad shape, how does that work??

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Well I think this shatters the image of being an "outsider," and "anti-establishment."

Could you IMAGINE the (faux) outrage if instead of "Trump," this were "Obama?"

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
there are a lot of republicans who voted for trump in the hope that he would fix stuff HERE, in our country. they want out of the nonsense in the middle east. I hope they see what's so obviously being played out here, and speak up!

putin doesn't need to be any more powerful, that's a scary thought. he's the richest person IN THE WORLD and his country is in bad shape, how does that work??

Lul wut?
He's not even close to being the richest person in the world.
Effectively what people are really saying when stating Trump is a Russian Puppet is that the Russians are capable of installing a puppet in a country with the largest intelligence network on the planet..... which, yeeeea no. It's complete nonsense spouted by nonsensical people.

Hilarious.
But nonsense.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

yep, even trump himself has said our "hacking" intelligence is awful. but, I agree trump is nonsensical.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Looks like Trump is the one that's got the goods on Putin !!

Russia will be begging for help.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

OMG take another hit fox.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: intrptr

Have to keep the war machine going until the tariffs take effect and the wall is built and the US becomes a magically ethical nation that is full of smiling white faces and well manicured lawns again.

Sorry for the delay...

White painted houses, white picket fences, white roses trimming that manicured lawn and white BMWs in the driveway...

whitewashed tombs

new topics

top topics

join