It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Trump tweet, ethics office to U.S. employees: do not endorse products

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
what specific statute did he violate or come close to violating?

sorry if someone already pointed it out...i just didnt see it within the first 2 pages and if someone posted it after that i apologize but i dont think i should have to read through five pages to find where the alleged violation is/was.

Oh GEEEE, lookie here....from the article the OP cited:

No mention of Trump was made in the tweet, and many rules for federal employees do not apply to the president.

So look, unless someone can cite a specific law, statute or other regulatory constraint then all of you bothered by Trumps endorsement are yet AGAIN looking for invisible boogeymen and other imaginables to get steamed about.....par for the course.
edit on 14-1-2017 by tribal because: quote

You know what, after thinking about it a little bit more i just realized Trump encouraging people to buy AMERICAN products, regardless of the company, is just good old fashioned stimulating of economic growth and activity....something EVERYONE, even Lefties and Progressives ought to be fully on board with if they actually cared about their country.

As far as im concerned Trump can pitch a different American made product or company every week on his radio/video address which i hope he will do.

Yeah, tell me again whats wrong with the leader of AMERICA encouraging americans to buy american.

good god......
edit on 14-1-2017 by tribal because: more thoughts

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
When I heard this I thought: "Wow, that's stupid" then I thought; "why not". Trump doesn't own LL Bean, so all he really did here was openly indorse an American product. It's as if he said "Buy American", but was being specific. I could see an issue if he was indorsing a company that he owned or had a special arrangement with, but in this case it just seems like he was saying; "Thanks for the support, and you're a good American company"

This isn't any different then any other President saying something like "so and so makes great cars", wears a specific type of known name brand clothing, or says something good about a companies product. I'm fairly certain that all Presidents do this type of thing. In this case though we have a Businessman saying something, and not a politician saying it.

I will say that the article seems a little like a hit piece in that it pushed two unrelated stories about Trump into a single head line. There was the tweet about LL Bean in the first half, then the second half was old news about his current standing within his companies. Maybe they just wanted to pad the story with something, or maybe they wanted it look bigger then it was. Who knows?

On a funny side not:
UKTruth;
I know your profile pic is the golden plate on board Voyager, but it kind of looks like the Death Star with directions on how to destroy it. The right side looks a lot like the vent port method from Star Wars, and the lower left side looks like the reactor core method from Return of the Jedi. It made my laugh when I saw it.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Its tacky for our president to do that.

Before you slam me I'am a trump supporter. Its below the position of president. I think he is transitioning out of the role of a celebrity/ businessman where endorsements are a normal thing. I do however feel its totally within his right to criticize american businesses regarding their hiring practices "hb1 visa" and relocating to different countries and being able to avoid taxes being imposed on them if they are in a different country.
Now if a company reverses their policy I think trump can say I'm glad they are willing to work with us and with the american people as a "hey good job" but its not an endorsement.

Telling people to buy a product however like this seems to cheapen the position. I mean honestly people, do you want trump to tell you to eat at chiles or buy a pepsi or to buy gas at shell gas stations, get statefarm insurance ect.

He needs to know hes a different kind of celebrity now, one with a lot more power and prestige.
I think he will figure it out or has figured it out but knows he isnt sworn in yet so its ok.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I learned about the story yesterday in a two minute video from Rebel Media. (For some reason I am no longer able to embed videos at ATS. I know how to do it but my PC is being blocked from doing so. It could be one of those Windows 10 updates or a Chrome issue. I'm not sure but I tried to include a video yesterday in someone else's OP and the same thing happened.) If someone wants to post the video, please do.

As reported in the video, a website called grab your wallet dot org lists LL Bean as a company to boycott because the granddaughter of the founders made a donation to a Trump PAC.

Hence, the Trump tweet.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

That's a "too big to fail" issue.

So bury your head in the sand because "too big to fail" - tell that to the taxpayers holding the debt

I don't see the relationship between the "too big to fail" theory and Trump's endorsement of L.L. Bean

Well you are being evasive - instead of responding directly to the comment you quote googled and found a fact but decided to call it a "theory" Did the Banks that received that money consider it "theoretical money" or for that matter paying off that debt is not a real debt but a "theoretical" burden on the taxpayer?

How low would you stoop to prove a point?
edit on 15-1-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Well anything US under Obama has the gall to preach what is ethical... which one of these smiley icons does an eye roll? Yah and its not like he used taxpayer dollars to bail them out or anything you know like Solyndra or the auto industry or what was it AIG which has Sharia compliant products.....

geez the hypocrisy is astounding. Libs are looking under rocks to find any little ol thing they can to condemn Trump. Wow did you guys find anything that sticks yet?

edit on 15-1-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: UKTruth

I never said he would be impeached for promoting a specific product. Unethical doesn't necessarily mean impeachable. What Clinton did with Monica was unethical, but he wasn't impeached for having an affair.

You are correct. He was impeached for lying about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

a reply to: burgerbuddy

No, that is not endorsing. That's called "wearing clothes".

If Trump wants to buy and wear clothes from LL Bean, no problem. It's when he tells everyone else they should buy from LL Bean that the problem comes.

Is anything like making a law and telling us we MUST buy health insurance or be fined by the IRS? Hypocrites much?
edit on 15-1-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Well, he is not in the office yet. But yeah, he should be cautious in the future.

That's a good topic to bring up. The usual liberals here keep saying he's doing this, he's doing that, and it's always bad. Since he's won the election, the usual have been busy criticizing everything he's done. When the fact of the matter is, he's still not even in the White House. You usual can't have it both ways. No having your cake and eating it too. But you seem to want to place both president and president elect labels on him. Last I checked, Obama is still the president.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Lets see...CEO of company donates to Trump campaign. Trump becomes president and advertises donors products. Lolololol. Wow.

People actually arguing this are retarded. Anything to defend the deserter insecure bum.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

a reply to: burgerbuddy

No, that is not endorsing. That's called "wearing clothes".

If Trump wants to buy and wear clothes from LL Bean, no problem. It's when he tells everyone else they should buy from LL Bean that the problem comes.

Is anything like making a law and telling us we MUST buy health insurance or be fined by the IRS? Hypocrites much?

Go blow it out Rand Paul's ass guy. The mandate isn't mutually exclusive with pre existing conditions. You want people with MS uncovered? That sht is on you, not me or anyone else who is against this charade. You had a chance to participate in improving it and offering your thoughts. YOU FAILED, NOT ANYONE ELSE. It's called being lazy.

Republicans are lazy. They're so lazy they had years to come up with a cohesive plan and now they're scrambling like idiots. Fck both these parties for not figuring it out.

Now get back on topic. This garbage isn't even about healthcare. It's about some idiot politician hawking some shtty company's products that literally no one buys due to it currently not being 1940 because that shtty company gave said idiot politician money.

You people have made "The Hillary Deflection" an actual thing. Every time I see someone use The Hillary Deflection I automatically know that person is a useless invalid that couldn't pass a high school algebra exam.
edit on 16-1-2017 by BrokedownChevy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Ahh. The standard in debate skills right here folks. Let's all present our arguments like this guy. I'm sure the mods won't delete his posts. For some reason, only pro Trump posts get the scrutiny of the mods. Posts like "blow it out Rand Paul's ass" somehow avoid the delete hammer. ATS, the standard in modern debate.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I had to laugh yesterday...

I was listening to Rush for a few minutes (about all I can take, but that's another story) on the radio. He was going on about this whole LL Bean thing. At one point he asks if the listeners know who LL Bean is, and then goes on to explain they sell all manner of hunting and fishing gear.

I had to laugh at the irony of that statement. I've long been critical of LL Bean for caving in to the left and actually getting OUT of the hunting and fishing gear market. You can barely find a single piece of "hunting" gear in their entire product line anymore! They USED to be in this market, but they've long since sold out and pandered to the mamby-pamby lefties. Now they're all butt-hurt because the place they buy their cardigan sweaters and Birkenstock shoes is being defended by Trump!

What a gas!!

Actually, they have a rather decent selection of hunting and fishing gear/apparel, at least at the physical store. I live 20 min from L.L. Bean. I'd say my favorite building is the camping one. I like to check out all the tents. Oh and the BIG fish tank is fun.

As for the tweet, I saw nothing about it that screamed ethics violation. It was incredibly underwhelming. I feel like there are about a million more pressing matters to worry about right now.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
what specific statute did he violate or come close to violating?

sorry if someone already pointed it out...i just didnt see it within the first 2 pages and if someone posted it after that i apologize but i dont think i should have to read through five pages to find where the alleged violation is/was.

Oh GEEEE, lookie here....from the article the OP cited:

No mention of Trump was made in the tweet, and many rules for federal employees do not apply to the president.

So look, unless someone can cite a specific law, statute or other regulatory constraint then all of you bothered by Trumps endorsement are yet AGAIN looking for invisible boogeymen and other imaginables to get steamed about.....par for the course.

You know what, after thinking about it a little bit more i just realized Trump encouraging people to buy AMERICAN products, regardless of the company, is just good old fashioned stimulating of economic growth and activity....something EVERYONE, even Lefties and Progressives ought to be fully on board with if they actually cared about their country.

As far as im concerned Trump can pitch a different American made product or company every week on his radio/video address which i hope he will do.

Yeah, tell me again whats wrong with the leader of AMERICA encouraging americans to buy american.

good god......

Except one problem. Not all of their products are American made anymore. I was surprised to find out too a while back. I don't necessarily blame the company. It's a variety of issues all rolled into one.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

a reply to: JeremySun
Not true. Obama's action was an attempt to keep the U.S. economy from completely collapsing - NOT to endorse any specific product.

The entire US economy hinges on the automotive industry?
They failed and in any free market they would have been allowed to fail.
Open up the market for a possible greener auto manufacturer...
I know how all you lefties feel about green things.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Holy cow man!
Did someone eat their trigger-flakes this morning?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
Lets see...CEO of company donates to Trump campaign. Trump becomes president and advertises donors products. Lolololol. Wow.

People actually arguing this are retarded. Anything to defend the deserter insecure bum.

Um I missed the link where he is a deserter?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

You entirely missed the point but I'm not surprised. I'm also not a guy so would you mind at least being just a tiny bit civil? But I wont hold my breath. Ive been reading your posts and I'm not much impressed. But Ill let you know if you say something that does impress me.
Your demeanor does remind me of a few high school boys from the past...

Oh yes and lets get REAL specific.... where exactly in my post was this "Hillary Deflection" you speak of? If you want to gripe about being on topic, at least get it right! My guess.... you didn't make the debate team...
Frankly, this whole thing is just a silly witch hunt. Imagine if they actually found something real to gripe about.
edit on 16-1-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The Left really is full of hypocrisy and double standards.
Consider this statement from Linda Bean of LL Bean

Linda Bean said the boycott is a political double standard targeted at her for supporting the Republican because no similar outrage occurred when another of the company's operatives supported Barack Obama.
"Definitely, a double standard," Linda Bean said. "Both these guys won. Obama won and Trump won. My cousin's candidates, my candidate. But I'm the one that's being targeted and vilified."
There have been calls for her to resign from the company's board, but she said that is not going to happen.
"I never back down if I feel I'm right, and I do feel that they're bullies," Linda Bean said. "That's all they are. Small kernels of hyperboles on the West Coast in California trying to control what we do, what we buy and what we sell in Maine."
www.wafb.com...

The tweet of Trump was a response to a leftist boycott of LL BEAN, in case anyone actually wants to understand the context of it

President-elect Donald Trump spoke out against a social media campaign encouraging shoppers to boycott Maine-based retailer L.L.Bean.
Trump thanked Bean Thursday morning with a tweet speaking out against the proposed boycott.
www.necn.com...
The Left is just so rabid in their hatred.... all these years of letting Obama run like a little tramp dog through any lack of ethics he feels.
edit on 16-1-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join