It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Africa gone in 20 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You heard here first, or second, or third, depends on what you watch. Anyways, watching tv, channel surfing. Whats this? Discovery Health channel. What are they reporting on? Africa. Why? Well, due to diseases like ebola, aids, things like that, Africa is projected to have little to no population left in 20-30 years from now. AIDS, a disease we know about, is spreading like wildfire. Sometimes it isn't even the persons fault for in South Africa they think that raping a newborn-2year old will cure them, but it does not, it just spreads the virus to them. Over 60% of the African population is said to have the aids virus. But not just aids and ebola, malaria, a disease wiped out in America, is a common killer.

I so wish I could find that link... Not using right words to search maybe. Reports a couple months ago how men kept breaking into hospitals to rape newborns cause it supposedly cured aids.
allafrica.com... not the baby rapings, but just general Africa is screwed.

Not just Africa though, Cambodia, Thailand, and other surronding countries are also being written off due to aids, starvation, and corrupt gov. doing nothing to help their citizens. How could this planet allow billions to die? Extra funding would help alot, but instead the US is dumping 200million into programs that tell kids masturbation causes pregnancy and tears spread aids. They are dumping over a billion dollars into programs that protect the stupidest things like the colorado jumping squirrel bear mouse and other animals that are freaking rodents/nusiances(sp?). Gee, there are only about 58million colorado jumping squirrel bear mice left, better dump monry into protecting them.(I couldn't believe it, heard it on the news radio, that some colorado jumpin mouse thing was being given over 80million dollars to protect it, and then they went on about how this species of fish that lives in schools of millions all over the world is being given 45million dollars to protect it in America, and more stuff, that adds up to over a billion dollars)

Hmmm, how about we take that 1.2billion and try to save a couple billion people? Of course, US not the only ones to waste money on bull#.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm not sure that I really buy that - little or no population? The birth rate is still huge and it's not as if AIDS kills immediately. I'm not for a second belittling the problems - they are manifestly there but I don't see the population of Africa being that severely reduced. Maybe it means that there will be very people unaffected by AIDS - that I would believe.

WRT Thailand - no way. Thailand is doing quite well, thank you. They have some massive poverty but in general the country is doing very well and has a continually expanding middle-class, which is a sign of successful economic development. I've never been to Africa but I have been to SE Asia quite a few times and it's OK. There are no scenes in that part of the world that are as bad as the worst in Africa.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
where did it say anything about raping babies?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
James...the US gives Africa plenty...yes Africa has huge problems...but theyve had problems for year...you know the saying..."You can lead a horse to water..."...And besides...when the US does do good...its either 1) not enough according to everyone else...or 2) its an attempt at "US IMPERIALISM"...the only real way to fix most of Africa is to send troops...kick out the militias and corrupt govts...and let the people rule...but wait...we did that in Iraq..and look how people are screaming...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Any population that could justify raping babies for a mythical cure needs to be wiped out anyways. Jusy my opinion though.

The young should not be exploited for benefit of the old!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
James...the US gives Africa plenty...yes Africa has huge problems...but theyve had problems for year...you know the saying..."You can lead a horse to water..."...And besides...when the US does do good...its either 1) not enough according to everyone else...or 2) its an attempt at "US IMPERIALISM"...the only real way to fix most of Africa is to send troops...kick out the militias and corrupt govts...and let the people rule...but wait...we did that in Iraq..and look how people are screaming...

You make quite a point. had the us done that in africa, motives would not have been questioned as they are in iraq imo. If the US really JUST wanted to "bring democracy", Africa would have been a great place to start, so why did they not? Not much oil in Africa.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Theres some oil...and plenty of other resources...but with Africa...most countries there arent any kind of a threat to the US...or our interests (yes...like oil)...nor are many people coming to the US from Africa crashing planes into buildings...Yes the terrorists werent from Iraq...but they were from various parts of the middle east...which also needs stability...Im all down for going to Africa and helping it out...when we're done with the middle east...but im curious why the UN doesnt do more in that matter...I know they arent a military force (the UN)....but they could stablize the area...maybe do a bit more "strong" type talk to the militias...something...I just dont know why so many hate the US...and then want us to fix everything...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I have a theory that America might be waiting in the wings for Africa to destroy itself. Not much action needed.
Rich pickings.

By the way, it's not the entire nation that's raping babies...so maybe that doesn't justify an invasion?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
"...the only real way to fix most of Africa is to send troops

I can't really agree there. I think that there are two ways in which we can help Africa
1. Educate, send teachers, not soldiers.
2. Fair trade

The pen is mightier than the sword. If people are educated about health, work, agriculture, technology they have a real connection to their world. The corrupt governements are remote and poorly understood by the guy with three acres and a goat. If he or she learns a few things, maybe their kid will go to high school and learn even more and maybe her daughter will go to college and run for government. Maybe. But she won't get the chance unless her grandparents are given the opportunity to improve their lot.

The trade protectionism indulged in by the west is sickening. Many developing country's farmers are more economically efficient than those in the west but they are not getting the chance to compete on a level playing field because of subsidies. At the same time we have strong-armed their governments into signing deals which force them to buy our products. All they want is an even chance, no more, but we won't give it to them. We've climbed to safety and pulled the ladder up behind us.

There's a good book about this stuff, it's called 'Do the Right Things', by Pushpinder Khaneka.

I don't want to sound like a preacher but seriously dude, guns are not the answer.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Troops? No, how about troops to kill off the damn chruch/religous idiots who keep telling the africans that condoms are evil and don't prevent aids, when in fact, about 95% of the time, they do! And yes, true, America is sending, but maybe not enough? Not just US though, England has been giving, more then America ie pop.-cash, but they still waste money on stupid things, there own colorado jumping squirrel bear mouse and the like.

Also, aids doesn't kill immediatly, but it always kills, it just takes10-15 years. Which is why they have estimated 20-30 years. Also, high birth rate doesn't help if they all die of starvation or aids or malaria, a disease WIPED OUT! in America. We have wiped it out, yet it continues to spread in Africa.

Also, I was going to edit, but since someone pointed it out, Thailand is doing fine. Also, Why I said in SOUTH AFRICA! Not Africa, but South Africa, where newborns are raped cause they suppose to cure aids, when they don't. Education, wipe out those religous nutbags that tell them aids is spreading cause they haven't repented for their sins and need to give the church all their money to repent, and more eductaion. If you taught them about aids, condoms, and how the blood transfer is what spreads it you may be able to help them instead of sending over religous nutbags that tell them they are going to hell for being black and not good holy white people.

Also, GreenPeace is to blame for many deaths. We offered literally, tons upon tons of food, but they denied it cause the GreenPeace people convinced them it was tainted and would kill them/mutate them if they ate it. It was bio-egineered yes, but it wouldn't have killed/mutated anyone. We eat bio-engineered all the time, you just don't know it. What use to take years of breeding and cross breeding is doen done in months in labs. New tomato that can last 3 times as long before it gets rotten, apple trees that can survive in temps below freezing, so forth. So instead of feeding millions, GreenPeace killed millions. It use to be good, but now, even the orignal founders/presidents of GreenPeace agree, that like NRA, it has become a political tool.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Theres some oil...and plenty of other resources...but with Africa...most countries there arent any kind of a threat to the US...or our interests (yes...like oil)...nor are many people coming to the US from Africa crashing planes into buildings...Yes the terrorists werent from Iraq...but they were from various parts of the middle east...which also needs stability...Im all down for going to Africa and helping it out...when we're done with the middle east...but im curious why the UN doesnt do more in that matter...I know they arent a military force (the UN)....but they could stablize the area...maybe do a bit more "strong" type talk to the militias...something...I just dont know why so many hate the US...and then want us to fix everything...

Its all very well bad mouthing the UN, but who makes the decisions in the UN?

Thats right boys and girls, the Security Council!

And who is on the Security Council?

The US, UK, Russia, China and France....

So treating the "UN" as a seperate entity is somewhat misleading. They can only do what the Security Council lets them, and thats only if all the 5 Permanent Powers agree. There is your problem....they never agree, so people die....

In fact, the French have been trying to enforce UN Peace agreements in Ivory Coast, and but lots of Americans on here failed to see that it was a UN operation and had a right go at French people saying they where imperialists.

They where peacekeepers, and where stopping the Ivorian Gov from killing civilians with thos shoddy little planes they had. Again, once they did that (and after losing 9 of their men), everyone moaned, even though not one single Ivorian was killed in the process.

And there are many operations thoughout Africa run by the UN, but the mandates for the "Peacekeepers" give so little powers in the Rules of Engagement (because of the Security Council not agreeing and chossing the path of least resistance), that those said "Peacekeepers" couldn't keep a wasp off their apple juice, let alone stop two Warring factions from killing anyone!!

What is need is an overhaul of the whole UN process, and the way things are being done, but the only way to do that, is for people to stop thinking of the UN as a seperate entity.

It is made up of member states, and they are the ones who need to do the changing!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yes, the U.N. is made up by a more then just one country, which can be a problem when one country say, invades other countries for oil, pissing off the other 4 countries. Nothing gets done when it is 1vs4, and that 1 is thee superpower while the rest only wish of yesterdays past(where they were thee superpower)

Maybe if a certain someone wasn't going around pissing off everyone just so his buddies can get more oil we could be able to do some work. Also, if we weren't spending trillions on a war for oil we might be able to shift those funds to saving an entire continent. But noooo, oil is more important.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
OIL IS MORE IMPORTANT!!!
While it does seem harsh, this globes existance is based on oil, without which 50% of the crops in the world would not be around to eat as use of fertalizers and pesticides rely heavily on oil....so without just that use of oil in the world economy, cut everyones food intake by 50% and see how well things go. Apply the oil use to refrigerating and moving this food around to the people, and you see where this is by far one of the most VITAL substances to mankind.

James says,

Yes, the U.N. is made up by a more then just one country, which can be a problem when one country say, invades other countries for oil, pissing off the other 4 countries.
James is touting the UN and spewing off about how it was 1 vs 4 for oil....
HHMMM, What about the food for oil scam...the one where it was 3 vs 1 to climb into bed with someone you were saying was a bad guy, yet you were willing to violate your own sanctions to STEAL OIL!!!!!
But the USA shouldnt be pizzed off about that one eh?

Maybe if a certain someone wasn't going around pissing off everyone just so his buddies can get more oil we could be able to do some work. Also, if we weren't spending trillions on a war for oil we might be able to shift those funds to saving an entire continent. But noooo, oil is more important.
Mabey if we didnt have to catch our allies hands in the back pockets of a tyrant while they LIED to our faces we wouldnt have to take a stand and DO something to balance out that 3 vs 1 scenario eh?
BUT
OIL is a behinds the scenes diversion to this threads topic.

As far as diverting $$$ from the war to african aid....to WHAT end?
to artificially keep feeding a populace that is already struggling to feed themselves? This only creates dependancy, not independence....

Whilr i do not blame people in africa for being poor and un educated....
thats the reality of the situation. Thats what we have to deal with, not some feel good agenda to keep people dependent on handouts.....

Save the continent for whom will be the question....
we could give all the aid we could afford, yet that doesnt mean those people will take it, use it, or use it in the way in which we'd think they should. We already see that aid shipments are comodities for the rouges to steal and hoard there....so giving them more jucy targets sounds good eh?

Bottom line, im all for giving aid as a short term helping hand after disaster, but not as a form of artificial life support...when the conditions that would allow those getting aid to get back on their feet do not exist.
How long do you think the world can bear the cost of feeding, clothing, and sheltering a large body of humans that keep reproducing in an environment that already wont support the populace?
Africa needs more than just money and charity, it needs a social base that can sustain the laws there...can promote growth and self reliance...untill then all the worlds aid is pouring into a leaky bucket.
Fix the bucket before trying to collect things in it.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
We need to get troops there to eliminate all of these militia's....then we could send all the teachers/doctors/aide they need...because the latter is useless with militias still running the show...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The world bank and the IMF could lift these nations out of poverty with a signature. They have raped these countries for years, enticing them with loans to dictatorship and corrupt government with the knowledge that the countries can not pay back. With that leverage they rape countries through unfair trades and taking their resources.

Greed. Nothing has changed.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
That would help alot...but thats not the only way...after we make Africa safer...we could make deals with them for their resources...dont have to wipe out their debt completely....but kinda like making them work it off...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
We can make the common people safer by killing the bankers. It could be considered mercy killing since God punishment is eternal.

Sounds harsh, the punishment fits the crime.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Here's a link on the topic:

www.usafricaonline.com...

This is just disturbing....

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Back about a hundred fifty years ago, it was thought that having sex with a virgin would cure gonorrhea -- and this was in Victorian England.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ok, leaving the Bush propaganda about the UN, Caz, you do have a good point. The bucket is leaky, and money may not be the answer.... But you need money to pay for the teachers, the troops to rid the militias, and not all are militia controlled. South Africa is pretty advanced, as advanced as a country can get in Africa. But they are still pretty piss poor. Money makes the world go round. Also, it not the militias, you have those damn catholics telling them that condoms are evil, so not used, so aids spreads more rapidly. While condoms may only prevent 95% of the time, it is better then telling the people of Africa that condoms are evil and satanic.

And thanks sebastiaan for the link, how did you find it? I finally gave up after a hour.

new topics

top topics

join