It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking In Tongues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTheLong

There is the authentic and there is the counterfeit.

And even in AoG churches, there's a lot of pretense, form, acting as though, etc.

Nevertheless, there is an authentic.

Most of the time, I trust Holy Spirit to be putting His meaning to the sounds I make.

Sometimes, He flows through me with such intensity, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that HE IS FORCEFULLY involved but in a gentlemanly way.

If you read the posts I listed above, I think you'll come across the case where Judy Carter in the Pacific Northwest on a low key personal ministry tour of several Native American tribes . . . at the close of her visit to 3 different tribes, was praying quietly in tongues as others were praying as well. When the closing prayer time was over, an older Native American in each tribe, who'd been sitting or standing near her, asked her where she'd learned the old almost forgotten form of the most eloquent form of their lanugage. Further, that in each case, she'd been praying a basic summary of the Gospel story. She only thought she'd been praying in tongues as she often does.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianIssues

Nonsense.

Mankind, human nature have not changed.

Holy Spirit has not changed.

The need for, blessing of and usefulness of tongues has not changed.

Certainly the enemy's counterfeit has not changed.

In the I Cor 13 list . . . Knowledge has not been done away with nor has prophecy. Actually, Scripture indicates that Prophecy will be increasing in this END TIMES era.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

It's a gift from the holy spirit, here is what Jesus has to say about it:

I Corinthians 14

Pursue love yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts but especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification. and exhortation and consolation. One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church. Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

there's a lot more that im too lazy to type ;P

my understanding is that tongues are useless unless someone can interpret them

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Publicly, no; privately, no. Allow me to explain

In public, speaking tongues without an interpreter present serves a purpose. That purpose, however, is not a good one. It causes folks to think the speaker, and thereby the church, fools, or perhaps just drunkards. (see 1 Cor 14, and perhaps Acts 2). So it serves a purpose to do so in public, just not a purpose towards God's plan. It tends to turn people away from the church.

Yet, in private, in the very same chapter from 1 Corinthians, Paul speaks of tongues in a very positive light, without the emphasis on interpretation. Indeed, the second verse states, "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God..."

Obviously, you don't think speaking to God is useless. That's evident by your post. Speaking in tongues in private, or silently, even, seems to be petitioning God via the Holy Spirit living in you. God's word says ask and it will be given you. It also says that whatsoever you pray in Christ's name, so long as it is in His will, will be given you. I don't know about you, but I don't always know (in fact, typically I don't) what God's will is in a situation. The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, I'm confident does. That gift some are given to surrender their will, their prayers, to the Holy Spirit to petition God on some matter they are unaware of or only have vague understanding of, that His will be done in a situation, according to God's Word, will be answered. That is certainly not useless!

In my understanding, it seems there are two elements of the gift of tongues. The one which takes place publicly, correctly, tends to be more prophetic, edifying the church, than petitioning. The private, on the other hand, I've seen give rise to God's moves. Prophesy is more accurate, preaching more poignant and anointed, healing takes place, encouragement and joy pour forth. Even prayer gets more specific. They seem to have two radically different functions, and, unfortunately for many, the private tends to require far more humility than the public. When someone is praying in tongues privately, God is operating through them, but no one this side of Heaven will ever know. When in public, there's no question, typically, that God was operating through you.

Now if we could get past that misunderstanding and realize God's gifts do not denote maturity in the faith, that humility would come a lot more easily!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by freedish

Publicly, no; privately, no. Allow me to explain

In public, speaking tongues without an interpreter present serves a purpose. That purpose, however, is not a good one. It causes folks to think the speaker, and thereby the church, fools, or perhaps just drunkards. (see 1 Cor 14, and perhaps Acts 2). So it serves a purpose to do so in public, just not a purpose towards God's plan. It tends to turn people away from the church.

Yet, in private, in the very same chapter from 1 Corinthians, Paul speaks of tongues in a very positive light, without the emphasis on interpretation. Indeed, the second verse states, "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God..."

Obviously, you don't think speaking to God is useless. That's evident by your post. Speaking in tongues in private, or silently, even, seems to be petitioning God via the Holy Spirit living in you. God's word says ask and it will be given you. It also says that whatsoever you pray in Christ's name, so long as it is in His will, will be given you. I don't know about you, but I don't always know (in fact, typically I don't) what God's will is in a situation. The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, I'm confident does. That gift some are given to surrender their will, their prayers, to the Holy Spirit to petition God on some matter they are unaware of or only have vague understanding of, that His will be done in a situation, according to God's Word, will be answered. That is certainly not useless!

In my understanding, it seems there are two elements of the gift of tongues. The one which takes place publicly, correctly, tends to be more prophetic, edifying the church, than petitioning. The private, on the other hand, I've seen give rise to God's moves. Prophesy is more accurate, preaching more poignant and anointed, healing takes place, encouragement and joy pour forth. Even prayer gets more specific. They seem to have two radically different functions, and, unfortunately for many, the private tends to require far more humility than the public. When someone is praying in tongues privately, God is operating through them, but no one this side of Heaven will ever know. When in public, there's no question, typically, that God was operating through you.

Now if we could get past that misunderstanding and realize God's gifts do not denote maturity in the faith, that humility would come a lot more easily!

Thank you for that wonderful post. I've more recently become aware of the tongues thing. One of my friends said it was a secret prayer language between the holy spirit inside of you and God like you seem to be saying. my only question is, if you don't understand what your saying then what good does it do? God doesn't need to speak through you via holy spirit to himself. That seems redundant to me. Unless in someway it pleases Him?

My other question is, how do you know if you are truly speaking in tongues via Holy Spirit?
Thanks!
edit on 5-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish if you don't understand what your saying then what good does it do? God doesn't need to speak through you via holy spirit to himself. That seems redundant to me. Unless in someway it pleases Him?

It's a good question, and the short answer I have is, I'm not sure. There are some hints, though.

God's word says He knows our requests before we ask for them. He knows our words before we speak them. Yet, we have not because we ask not. In the same vein, God knows our sins before we confess them, as well as knowing our hearts, yet He calls us to confess them. I think an element of it is dependence on God. Another is a relationship with God. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where everything is messed up, going down the sewer, and you have no idea what to pray? I've prayed at times like those, "God... Help?" An element of praying in tongues could be letting the Holy Spirit petition God on your behalf. Christ is called our Advocate, and the Holy Spirit in Romans 8:9 is called the Spirit of Christ. As to God not praying to Himself, didn't Christ spend a lot of time in prayer?

Regarding it not having any practical function, though, allow me to share a story. I know someone who was a firefighter. He was getting a little nap in in the afternoon since they work 24 hour shifts. He suddenly woke from the nap with an overwhelming urge to pray in tongues. He didn't understand; he just obeyed. He prayed for about 3 minutes, then felt a feeling of peace and went back to bed. About an hour later, he gets a call from his wife.

An hour ago, she and their newborn son were driving down the highway behind a semi. The diesel tank of the truck broke off and was going to go right through the windshield of her car, certainly killing her and her son. There wasn't time to react or anything -- it was like those scenes in movies where you see the massive object coming at you, and there's not a thing you can do about it as the scene cuts to black. Except, in this case, feet away from the car, the gas tank makes a right turn and flies harmlessly off of the highway.

Naturally, as she's telling him this, he gets goosebumps and asks her if it had happened at the time he'd had that urge to pray in tongues, and they matched up.

Personally, after having heard that (and I trust the people who told it implicitly), my prayer life has been different, because, though I may not be experiencing anything I'm aware of, that doesn't mean someone else isn't!

My other question is, how do you know if you are truly speaking in tongues via Holy Spirit?

For that, I don't have an answer, except to quote a piece of scripture out of context -- you shall know them by their fruit. And really, weigh the risks... Assuming you are doing it privately, if you believe you have the gift and turn out to be wrong, you're babbling nonsense to yourself. Big deal. If you believe you have the gift and turn out to be right, who knows what it could bring.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Assuming you are doing it privately, if you believe you have the gift and turn out to be wrong, you're babbling nonsense to yourself. Big deal. If you believe you have the gift and turn out to be right, who knows what it could bring.

Very good point...that reminds of something I learned. Speaking faith can never hurt, even if you're wrong about something, nothing bad can ever come out of it. Thanks for the reply
edit on 6-12-2010 by freedish because: meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

I know im jumping in rather late, and apologies if what im saying has allready been said but my understanding of the private praying in tongues is you are praying the perfect will of God, God sometimes ask for people to intercede or speak out in faith before he acts. And like the story about the fireman who felt lead to pray but didn't know why, when we pray in tongues we are perhaps just speaking Gods will into being, at least thats how its been explained to me. Also the Bible says we have angels surrounding us and they are here to protect us, perhaps praying in tongues, which is called a heavenly language is the Holy Spirit speaking thru us to command our angels.

My mother had to same thing happen as the fireman. Grandma was watching us while mom was at work and my little sister choked on a cherrio, she was very young at the time. My grandma tried getting it out, smacking her on the back..I was young so I don't know exactly, but whatever you do in that situation. Mom was at work, felt lead to pray in tongues, so she did.. my sister is turning blue at this point, then coughs and out comes the cherrio.. less then a minute after my mom prays, grandma calls her to tell her what happened. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't believe so.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by deanyo

Wow thank you for your post. Your story about your sister is amazing, i'm glad she is okay! Sometimes I felt lead to pray when I'm by myself, i've tried speaking in tongues before but it just felt weird. The way you described what it is makes sense to me though.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Thanks

Im glad if I helped the concept make sense to you!
Ya, sometimes it gets that way.. like wow, im muttering gibberish, but I think its important to exercise your prayer language, so to say. And I know if I ever feel a burden to pray in tongues, I get on it, regardless of if I see an effect or not, to me it seems we can't afford not to lol.

If you ever have anyother questions feel free to ask me, or Im sure anyone else on here that seems to have a firm grasp of the gospels, I will stress though, If something doesnt sit right with you, that anyone says about the bible or God, check and see what the bible says. The word of God, or what someone is saying is the word of God should never contradict the nature of God himself.
I don't claim to know everything but I would love to help you learn and maybe learn some more my self

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Entering altered states of consciousness is a normal human expereince, it is completely sane and even healthy. Many different approaches are taken to achieve these states. Speaking in tongues is very similar to many trace states that were reached by cultures in our past and even in modern times all over the world. As I said very normal. These states can be achieved and recreated by anyone who knows the conditions necessary to stimulate them. Ministers at churches that speak in tongues are experts at leading people through the steps necessary to to achieve these altered states. A rhythmic stimulation of the nervous system being one of those steps, in some cultures this is achieved through steady drum beats at specific beats per minute, while in a church setting singing hymns and clapping rythmically produces the same results. This is only a brief description of ONE type of altered state out of many, inculding everything from enthogens to OBEs. Though not an ordinary experience or state of mind, as I said it is very normal. Westerners especially have a habit of thinking that any mindset that doesn't fall into the category of alert problem solving (beta waves), is not only to be discouraged but is crazy, inferior, or simply not "real". The breadth of human expereince is far more expansive than this. Why limit yourself, especially simething as vital as your consciousness.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
well to me it would depend on ones definition of glossolalia...

I for one am getting kind of tired of these same old cosmologists and physicist saying different things on each video they are presented in, and one could call it speaking in tongues

I keep hearing in all these videos and dvd's I own words like (event, infinitesimally small, a point, nothingness, we can predict, theory, could be, the universe coming out of the womb connecting us to a parent brain, we don't know, thrust into motion, begin at the beginning, huge velocities, never had the whole story, big bang is a contradiction, embrace the big bang) ect, "you name it" but I really would like explanations of some of these said quotes !

I have literally over one hundred videos which all say the same thing (absolutely nothing) but in different tongues... then I came to a sudden realization that all these same faces are only trying to sell their own book.

whats really disgusting is how much these said teachers are paid and the titles they own and actually tell us nothing much at all really.

here is an good episode of a rather long series called "the Universe"

enjoy... but mind you, save your money and watch the recycled glossolalia on youtube

btw: everything we see around us was created by this nothingness, and not you or human beings lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
here, one of them clear it all up for us why all the speaking in tongues in this day and age...

"we have to sing for our supper"

and they are also claiming now they can cure people

this all sounds so familiar

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
here is my literal translation of Michio's quote... "we have to sing for our supper"

sing = to entertain, to perform, to vocalize metaphor or feeling

unfortunately the majority of planet earth has to work for their supper via manual labor of some sort...

I create for my supper ! I do, I repair, I offer, I ect.

for if I did not know any better and Michio was to touch my shoulder from behind I would think the hand was that of a woman.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Quaght

that was smite my friend ..

as i recall few hundread years back you would be burnt at the stake for being in leauge with the devil for speaking in tounges

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by muttkunt
reply to post by Quaght

that was smite my friend ..

as i recall few hundread years back you would be burnt at the stake for being in leauge with the devil for speaking in tounges

Not all speaking in tongues is of the devil. Remember he only counterfeits what is real from God.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

But also, not all people speak with tongues.

Everyone who has received the Holy Spirit has spoke in tongues. It is the initial evidence. The fruit of the Spirit is then the evidence that the person continues to walk in the Spirit.

The gift of tongues is different. Not everyone has the gift of tongues.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

Everyone who has received the Holy Spirit has spoke in tongues. It is the initial evidence. The fruit of the Spirit is then the evidence that the person continues to walk in the Spirit.

Not all speak in tongues, Paul says this. My gift of the Spirit is prophecy and discernment, not tongues.

edit on 14-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

Not all speak in tongues, Paul says this. My gift of the Spirit is prophecy and discernment, not tongues.

Paul says that not everyone has the gift of tongues. Again, the gift of tongues is not the same as the initial evidence.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." (Acts 2:1-4 KJV)

They all spoke in tongues.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

On that occasion they did, there were 17 nationalities present. Diverse tongues was needed. Look at the whole of scripture, single verse theology is a terrible way to make doctrine. Line upon line, precept upon precept.. I would start with Paul's instructions on Spiritual gifts. Lastly, we are to be fruit inspectors, not gift inspectors. Peace, love, joy, forbearance, long suffering are fruits of the Spirit. There are two heresies with tongues, the first is when people condemn all tongues as "of the devil", that's false. Yes the enemy counterfeits tongues, they are 'tongues of angels' after all, the other heresy is saying tongues are the only evidence of the Spirit, that's also false. Not all speak with tongues, and Paul says this as well.

The fruit of the Spirit is far more important than gifts of the Spirit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join