It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking In Tongues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
intilon lernaz abeiza up scrataz
hasacan usafulis ne formata
versova ahtima canah comebin enluceintana

MY TRY

[edit on 8/9/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The only time I've ever seen it happen was when De Niro did it in Cape Fear:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying... I found this a few months back. It's a stuy on speaking in tongues and the findings are very interesting to say the least. Below is the link for the study. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com...

TheMystro

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

This very post is a proof that I speak in tongues!! I speak english, yet it is not my native language. Jag kan också tala svenska et J'e parle francais aussi und sprechen deutch ja suomea, perkele!

Wonderful!

Now that "religious"/"spiritual" tongue talk is just gibberish. I guess it has something to do with sudden malfunction of the brains.

I have relative through marriage that speaks in tongues whenever she goes jogging (really!), so this implies that in her case it has to do something with motoric-physiological factors.

-v
edit on 26-11-2010 by v01i0 because: 1751

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I'm curious, does anyone here on ATS speak in tongues, and if so, can you explain it or back it up scriptually?

For those of you who aren't Christians, how do you percieve the whole speaking in tongues idea? Do you think it's wacked out, crazy, or psychosomatic? Or, do you believe it is really a different language we speak?

Mods, please let this stick around in the religious conspiracy forum for a little bit. I'm going somewhere with it, I just want a foundation before I begin. If y'all doubt this, check out my other threads where the conspiracy was questioned

There are both types. There are tongues where it's other known languages, and there is called an "unknown tougue" Paul speaks of where he says it's his spirit speaking.

But also, not all people speak with tongues. It's one of the gifts of the Spirit, and in fact it's not even listed as one of the top 3 gifts. Some have that gift and others have different gifts for the edification of the body of Christ.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianIssues
I have a video on YouTube, called Speaking In Tongues Part A, which shows scripturally that tongues, prophecy and knowledge have ceased.

The video link is
www.youtube.com...

There are also two further parts on the same subject.

God bless,
Mick

No, the Word says the gifts of the spirit will not cease until the "perfect comes".

That's the return of Jesus Christ.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by junglejake
I'm curious, does anyone here on ATS speak in tongues, and if so, can you explain it or back it up scriptually?

For those of you who aren't Christians, how do you percieve the whole speaking in tongues idea? Do you think it's wacked out, crazy, or psychosomatic? Or, do you believe it is really a different language we speak?

Mods, please let this stick around in the religious conspiracy forum for a little bit. I'm going somewhere with it, I just want a foundation before I begin. If y'all doubt this, check out my other threads where the conspiracy was questioned

There are both types. There are tongues where it's other known languages, and there is called an "unknown tougue" Paul speaks of where he says it's his spirit speaking.

But also, not all people speak with tongues. It's one of the gifts of the Spirit, and in fact it's not even listed as one of the top 3 gifts. Some have that gift and others have different gifts for the edification of the body of Christ.

your right it's just one of the gifts of the spirit. i was never given the gift of tongues but i did ask for it quite a few times over the years..i was given the gift of discernment.

the gift of discernment consists of the spiritual quality or skill of being able to see or understand, especially that which is hidden or obscure. not only can the power of discernment distinguish good from evil..the righteous from the wicked..and false spirits from divine but its more sensitive operation can also make known even the thoughts and intents of the heart of other persons .

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

your right it's just one of the gifts of the spirit. i was never given the gift of tongues but i did ask for it quite a few times over the years..i was given the gift of discernment.

the gift of discernment consists of the spiritual quality or skill of being able to see or understand, especially that which is hidden or obscure. not only can the power of discernment distinguish good from evil..the righteous from the wicked..and false spirits from divine but its more sensitive operation can also make known even the thoughts and intents of the heart of other persons .

that sounds like the OWL Spirit to my worldview/belief system..., OWL as an Animal Spirit Guide, shows the person secrets, unraveling prophecies... and the list of stuff in this snippet:

The Owl is your spirit guide. This is one of the most revered and misunderstood of animals. The Owl is most commonly associated with magic, clairvoyance, and wisdom. What this means to you, and to others who hear the call of the Owl, is that you are probably someone who others go to when they need advice or help solving a problem. You often appear wise beyond your years, and people give you much respect. Also, those blessed with the Owl spirit can be gifted with the ability to see into the human psychic and become clairvoyant listeners (meaning, they can hear what people are not saying)...an Owl person can easily see the truth hidden beneathe a lying tounge. Unfortunatly though, because of this rare gift, people can become weary of you, and may shy away. This is only because people don't accept what they don't understand. Therefore, those who posses the Owl spirit tend to become loners and don't make or keep friends easily. Don't let yourself fall into darkness and loneliness (possibly even bitterness) as most with the Owl guide do. But don't worry; with the Owl as your guide, he will teach you to see and hear past shadows, beyond fear and darkness, through the other side that promises light, happiness and knowledge. Congratulations, you have a wise and mystical ally in the Owl who will never leave your side.
Take this quiz! [...]
(well you would need to link to the site to take the test)

www.care2.com...

edit on 26-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMystro

I have spoken in tongues many times, thanks for the video, I have never seen that one.

A heavenly language that transcends selfish wants and desires, surrendering ones will to gods.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think that is valid.

However, I do think that in some churches too much emphasis is placed on it. In other words, the focus of most of sermons is on "Getting the Holy Ghost / Speaking in Tongues". The implied (and sometimes said) message is basically, "If you get it / do it - then everything will be ok". If you have problems in your life - what you need is the Holy Ghost and they'll all go away. That simply is not true.

I'm not sure if this heavy handed focus on "getting the holy ghost" and / or speaking in tongues was denominational or just from the pastor. The pastor made no secret he would like all in the church to speak in tongues.

This wasn't just a one week or one month sermon - it was the constant theme. The problem I see is when it becomes the sole focus of the teaching

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I would like to take a stab at this, as it has been a point of interest for me for as long as I can remember, and for many reasons of course. I mentioned before that I was born Catholic. Though, through out life, I've attended many types of churches with family or friends. Assymbly of GOD, Baptist, Penecostal, Lutherin, non denomination, Catholic, are the ones I can remember. I've even gone to a full gospel once or twice when I was a kid... Now you wanna know scary? Hehe, even still, I give those guys credit for sticking to such a strict system.

I for one, would like to have a better understanding of this subject, but I do have my own opinion.

Genesis 10:5
By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

This is the basis. Basic definition, speaking in A tongue is the language that a person speaks natively. The main language of a person.

Exodus 4:10
And Moses said unto the LORD, O my LORD, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

I feel Moses was saying that he was not only slow at speaking, but slow at "speaking well", meaning that he could not articulate words in a way to sway the thoughts of others. Kinda like a preacher does when he's trying to put a point into his congregation's heads.

Now on closer to the point. I've always seen the definitions of Tongues to mean little more than that. I think GODs presence alowed people to speak in a pure language, like say Aramaic, which is supposed to be the language of the angels. A mule was given a voice, so why would it be diffrent for people to be made to speak in another language? Perhaps it was Aramaic. If this was true, I wouldnt think that all people that stood around the apostles would have understood it, as they were from other parts of the known world.

2 Samuel 23:2
The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

and

1 Corinthians 14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

It would have to be supernatural first. I never quite understood why people did this in church. I think alot of churches really use this wrongly because what they do doesnt quite seem to fit the scriptures.

as Black pointed out:

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:1-4

And surely I've never heard anyone interpreting the language, if so, it seems pretty repetative. I as well as anyone can make noises with percieved words. Though, In this verse it shows that the words are either a language that no one understands, in the sense that this person may be from another country, or a person is alowed to speak in a way that only GOD would understand. It is also mentioned in the bible that when you pray, you should do so away from onlookers. When you succeede in doing things for others, you shouldnt shout it from the rooftops or let it be known for the good feelings you get from people knowing about it is your reward. Perhaps it follows this same concept. Ramble on to GOD because sometimes you just cant say the words you feel inside. Maybe because we're not as capable of spilling the words as fast and efficient as our minds think them.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

In this sense, perhaps it's what is meant when the apostles had someone interpreting for them, because they didnt quite speak the language, someone had to interpret it for them. I dont think there should be a contradiction between scriptures, there should be some common meaning for it to make sense. Such as:

1 Corinthians 14
1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Sorry it's a bit long but, if this is true; when I have been in churches where people are speaking in tongues, as they have, why arnt they speaking prophecy or divine lessons to teach others? Especially if no one is interpreting them. If they're speaking to GOD, then would they speak in a divine language or just their own language that no one else knew?

Lastly,

I truely hope we're not guinie pigs for your points, personal enjoyment or some foul lable upon people who believe in GOD, but just for the sake of the topic, I've spent a little time putting this out if you truely wish an opinion for your knowledge sake. Otherwise, it's a pretty low blow.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

I truely hope we're not guinie pigs for your points, personal enjoyment or some foul lable upon people who believe in GOD, but just for the sake of the topic, I've spent a little time putting this out if you truely wish an opinion for your knowledge sake. Otherwise, it's a pretty low blow.

All excellent points -

On your last bit (quoted above) - I notice from the OP that this thread started some 5 years ago. Apparently the OP is still around and is apparenly a SuperMod now (faster than a speeding post, more powerful than a banstick, able to read entire threads in a single glance..) ..ahem - I digress.

Anyway, given that this thread has been around 5 years I'm guessing it was one that somebody resurrected for whatever reasons.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
lol Guess I should keep an eye out on that date. ... And he never made his point! Damn!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
My family does that toungues stuff, I never got the "spirit" in that way. With me it was more of a telepathy thing where it's like I'm downloading thoughts so to speak...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
For me.. its really simple as to why I disregard it: Why in thre world would you speak in a language that no one can understand.. if its an "angelic" language.. it makes no sense that it be spoken in praise of God out loud since the people who hear it can not understand it. It seems completely useless except to the person who experiences it so why must it be out loud? If the communication is one that teh person who experiences it actually understands.. yet again, why is it done out loud with all of the rolling and fanfare?

I have always felt it was an attention thing. The person has been given a gift but that person hasnt so this person is more holy. For me, thats not the way it works.

One Christmas years ago an inlaw spoke in tongues at the dinner table after the prayer. It was ludicrous.. and looked faked. I asked her to repeat it.. she could not... but she magically knew what it meant. I call BS as it was an attention whoirish thing to do, took away from a beautiful prayer from our grandfather, and put her in the attnetion spotlight. Sure, she is what I call a "holy roller".. literally. The spirit enters here with much fanfare. Yet only when she has an audience. She explainefd to me that the only reason she does it with an audience is because the holy spirit is witnessing and sometimes enters the believers when more than one are in a group. Hmm so why doesnt she start convulsing and speaking in tongues in the middle of the mall, at the grocery store, or in publuc everywhere??

I can be totally wrong of course. but it really does seem quite a convenient spirit possession and serves no purpose gibbering in some "angelic" language that no one can understand. In simple terms.. it makes NO sense.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

that sounds like the OWL Spirit to my worldview/belief system..., OWL as an Animal Spirit Guide, shows the person secrets, unraveling prophecies... and the list of stuff in this snippet:

The Owl is your spirit guide. This is one of the most revered and misunderstood of animals. The Owl is most commonly associated with magic, clairvoyance, and wisdom. What this means to you, and to others who hear the call of the Owl, is that you are probably someone who others go to when they need advice or help solving a problem. You often appear wise beyond your years, and people give you much respect. Also, those blessed with the Owl spirit can be gifted with the ability to see into the human psychic and become clairvoyant listeners (meaning, they can hear what people are not saying)...an Owl person can easily see the truth hidden beneathe a lying tounge. Unfortunatly though, because of this rare gift, people can become weary of you, and may shy away. This is only because people don't accept what they don't understand. Therefore, those who posses the Owl spirit tend to become loners and don't make or keep friends easily. Don't let yourself fall into darkness and loneliness (possibly even bitterness) as most with the Owl guide do. But don't worry; with the Owl as your guide, he will teach you to see and hear past shadows, beyond fear and darkness, through the other side that promises light, happiness and knowledge. Congratulations, you have a wise and mystical ally in the Owl who will never leave your side.
Take this quiz! [...]
(well you would need to link to the site to take the test)

www.care2.com...

edit on 26-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

gifted with the ability to see into the human psychic and become clairvoyant listeners (meaning, they can hear what people are not saying)...an Owl person can easily see the truth hidden beneathe a lying tounge.
Unfortunatly though, because of this rare gift, people can become weary of you, and may shy away. This is only because people don't accept what they don't understand. Therefore, those who posses the Owl spirit tend to become loners and don't make or keep friends easily.

this is exactly the way it is with me and my life....^^^^ e x a c t l y

as far as the gift of tongues...it is real. some of it is fake and put on like at the churches and other places...some people like to believe that they have the gift and just do it.....but some of it is real..supernatural. i have been to many churches where lots of people were speaking in tongues....you can tell who is true and who isnt by the feeling you get. when you get goose bumps you know its real....the spirit is passing by you...keep yourself humble and your mind focused on christ...
edit on 26-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I was once deep in the astral and had got lost in some kind of hell zone, I was describing this to a friend who was looking after me during the trip. I was in a place without time so I was talking on and on (I am not sure how exactly I was able to remember I was a person in a room as I had undergone ego death at this point).

I thought I was articulate and coherant. Only, when I came round and asked my friend I was told I was speaking gibberish, not gibberish, just talking really really fast. Faster than is possible if conscious.

When in astral you literally are looking through eyes of godlike perception, when I come back my feeble attempts at describing in words what one goes on in the astral make me wonder........does a language exist for the astral, does a hyper advanced system of speech which packs in much more information than our Earthbound dialects can exist?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Is this what angels (spirit beings) communicate in? They must have a language if they have other structures like military heirachy and such as described in the bible.
edit on 26-11-2010 by Majestic23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Pentocostal Loonies

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Yes. I do.

There's a good treatment of tongues on this FR thread:

www.freerepublic.com...

I don't know that I have a lot to add . . . maybe I could identify the post numbers on that thread which discuss tongues the most . . .

post 96, post 115:

I’m a bit rushed to respond well to this post.

Some such is nonsense and some such is not.

Many folks resist flowing in tongues because they refuse to give up any degree of !!!!CONTROL!!!!

and they refuse to risk looking or sounding foolish.

I believe tongues is a great humbler and that

THAT is one of the objectives from God’s perspective.

I just usually encourage folks to pray in a sequence of sounds not part of any language they know.

The Lord made clear to me years ago that it is a walk of faith as well as the rest of Christian life.

Usually, the initial “Holy Spirit electric goose bumps” subside eventually. Then it is a walk of faith.

The ‘known language’ issue is a . . . straw dog in most respects.

1. When a Christian learns to, IN FAITH, TRUST that Holy Spirit is putting HIS MEANING to the strange sequence of sounds in the perfect prayer to The Father, it is a great benefit as Scripture indicates. Praying in Holy Spirit builds up our spirit, strengthens our walk with God.

2. The functional, practical difference at the level of the tongues speaker is essentially irrelevant. It is indistinguishable for a non-super-linguist tongues speaker to discrimminate between an unknown “heavenly language” vs a non personally known earthly language . . . or maybe, occasionally, even vs human gibberish, to some degree.

3. However, whether children or adults manufacture a deliberate sequence of gibberish sounds as a game or exercise in gibberish, experienced tongues speakers and linguists can usually tell the difference.

4. There is some research indicating that some folks learn to mimic fairly average styles of tongues speaking.

5. I don’t find that to NECESSARILY be any big deal.

6. Yes, it is . . . more dramatic and wonderful when Holy Spirit descends on a person in a dramatically powerful and miraculous electric-goose bump filled EXPERIENCE where HE seems to flood in with great power, might, fervency, intensity etc.

7. For His own reasons, HE does not always do things that way. For many, HE SEEMS to insist that the individual walk by faith virtually from the beginning. That is, without a lot of EXPERENTIAL SENSATIONS and proofs of His presence and invovlement.

8. For others, there may be initial “HOLY SPIRIT GOOSE BUMPS” laden experiential phenomena which soon fade and do not follow the speaking in tongues exercise persistently over a long time. Then the person walks by faith.

9. WE KNOW THAT WITHOUT FAITH, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE GOD IN THIS OR ANYTHING ELSE.

10. This was more the case for me. Thus, when God queried me at my asking him about the lack of experiential sensations—was I just making up the sounds myself without any Holy Spirit involvement, He indicated that I had to walk by faith and TRUST HOLY SPIRIT TO PUT HOLY SPIRIT’S MEANING TO THE SOUNDS IN THE PERFECT PRAYER TO THE FATHER . . . as Scripture more or less discusses.

11. A few weeks ago, I felt an urging in my spirit to pray for the Pastor after service. There was a lot of folks praying for one another in a long after service time of intense praying at the altar. I asked a black Sister who’s in charge of prayer efforts in our congregation to join me and she readily agreed but was mostly silent. I didn’t know how or what to pray and felt to just begin praying in tongues.

12. Normally, for many years, my tongues praying, for all intents and purposes could be construed as something I initiate [Scripture indicates the Spirit is subject to the individual in such matters], generating the sounds in whatever manner seems to occur and flow. Most of the time, the sequence of sounds if more or less familiar and common to me.

13. However, on this occasion, Holy Spirit rose up within me in great intensity and fierceness that almost shocked me. There was a speed and intensity of flow that I haven’t felt for years. And, while I usually pray quite softly in tongues, I’m sure I could be heard quite clearly and loudly all over the large room. I had some impressions as this was going on but I couldn’t say emphatically what specific things were being prayed. My general sense was that there was some sort of strengthening, maybe even commissioning, imparting, anointing that was going on for future ministry on Pastor’s part.

14. Could I have started and stopped the flow at any time? Certainly. I certainly didn’t stop breathing! I could have stopped at any point and certainly at breathing points. Holy Spirit is a gentleman. When we say we give up control, it’s a very relative thing. Virtually never will Holy Spirit take unfettered control and force an individual’s muscles to work strictly and totally under Holy Spirit’s control. The practical result may be AS THOUGH HE DID because no such individual person would DARE TO HINDER Holy Spirit’s flow—it’s a most wonderful experience and feeling to cooperate at such times. However, the individual is still a sovereign individual in terms of his own body and faculties. It’s just that when we seek to be totally yielded to Holy Spirit and He obliges—it’s too wonderful to even imagine to hinder HIM in ANY way. We are too thrilled to go along for the ride.

15. Did I deliberately change the language I was praying in over Pastor? NOT AT ALL. It just FLOWED OUT DIFFERENTLY as Holy Spirit rose up with such force and uniqueness from deep within me.

16. It was in light of such that my close friend Judy Carter of the Pacific Northwest was praying in tonuges at the close of 3 different ministry sessions with 3 different tribes over a period of a week or 2 on a tour of such tribes. In each of the 3 cases, after she finished praying amidst the group praying at the close of the meetings, an older elder of each tribe came up to her and asked her where she had learned the older more eloquent form of their language.

17. She had not, at all. She had no clue that’s what she was praying in. She just assumed she was praying ‘in a heavenly language’ to God alone. Yet in each case in each tribe she had been praying a basic summary of the Gospel story in the older, almost extinct forms of the tribal languages.

18. Of course she was thrilled and her ministry and walk with the Lord was greatly affirmed.

19. I still encourage anyone who is a bonafide Christian, confessed up, repented up, prayed up etc. to just pray in any sequence of sounds that they did not learn as a part of any known language and TRUST BY FAITH THAT HOLY SPIRIT WILL CONVEY HIS MEANING attached to those sounds—to The Father. It doesn’t really have to be any more complicated than that.

20. Sure, teaching children to say glory glory glory etc. can end up hokey and falling flat. IT CAN ALSO LEAD THE CHILDREN OR ANYONE ELSE TO RELEASE ENOUGH DEATH GRIP CONTROL to allow Holy Spirit to move in and facilitate a new way of powerfully prayin IN HOLY SPIRIT’S LANGUAGE AND MEANING. Holy Spirit will not in a strong armed sort of way FORCE one’s muscles to move in various specific ways to make specific sounds. However, when one LEARNS to be a bit ‘looser’ in terms of making sounds, Holy Spirit has a freer authority and ‘respectfully easier’ time of facilitating our praying in tongues.

21. I realize that some folks’ theology and experiences do not allow for the realities I’ve described above. Tough tacos. At this point, I don’t give a flying rip. They can go suck rocks. I know what I know and have experienced repeatedly as real.

22. I know that God has facilitated many powerful insights in counseling as well as other ministry from my just praying quietly in tongues for a few moments until insight came or healing came or whatever else God wanted to do manifested. I’m not about to give that up. I’d be a fool to do so.

23. As has been wisely said . . . the one without and EXPERIENCE merely has an argument.

24. There used to be a lot of noise about naysayers re Pentecostal stuff that THE NAYSAYERS had a BIBLICAL *NOT* EXPERIENCED BASED theology/Christianity/Religion.

25. What a pile of barnyard dusty horse . . . hair.

26. NO ONE can have any AWARENESS THAT THE BIBLE EXISTS, MUCH LESS WHAT IS IN THE BIBLE, MUCH MUCH LESS THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD

. . . APART FROM

. . . . . . . . . . . AN EXPERIENCE . . . . .

OF THE WORD OF GOD.

What a looney straw dog such assertions were and are.

27. All of such above is NOT THAT DIFFERENT AT ALL FROM A COMMON EXPERIENCE OF VIRTUALLY EVERY AUTHENTIC CHRISTIAN I’VE EVER KNOWN:

28. Every such Christian I’ve ever known has had repeated EXPERIENCES where they’ve been deeply burdened for days or weeks . . . over a very serious matter—job, health, deadly disease, moving, whatever . . . and suddenly, during one of their normal Bible reading times, a verse or phrase in a verse will “LEAP OFF THE PAGE” with great emotional intensity as God’s response to their travail, queries, concerns.

29. Speaking/praying in tongues is not significantly different from that sort of experience.

-------------------------

Post #125, 166, 170, 195, 208, 218, 236:

Throughout Scripture,

GOD ALMIGHTY seeks our INVITATION—our SEEKING HIM—our COOPERATING WITH HIM.

It is demonic forces which strong arm, force themselves, force individuals they are in possession of, etc.

Holy Spirit is entirely otherwise.

IT IS A MUTUAL DANCE.

YES, in a VERY REAL sense, HE LEADS. But if and when the human individual wants to sit down, pause, catch a breath . . . Holy Spirit waits.

Virtually always, He is gentle in a list of ways.

Occasionally, He can be quite forceful and dramatic if the human in the dance is so cooperative and Holy Spirit’s wisdom decrees it.

I really get a kick out of Believers who are characteristically cautious, meek, quiet, etc. and on occasion, Holy Spirit will flow through them with such force that they are suddenly like Richard the Lion Hearted chasing evil spirits or cruddy human stuff for removal with great fierceness and boldness IN THE LORD’s SPIRIT.

Or, vice versa, some brash, bold, cowpie kicking cowboy becomes super gentle in ministering to a child or elderly lady.

Holy Spirit is the ULTIMATE TRANSFORMER yet He respects the personality God created in each individual and seeks to enhance and multiply what God is birthing with each individual.

As Scripture says, it is not yet evident what we shall be. Yet Holy Spirit knows and is working toward that awesome goal in each dance in this boot camp world.

And, as in Scripture’s scribes, the human’s personality involved can show through.

Pentecostals are exceedingly human as TV obviously shows. And sometimes they use intemperate inaccurate language that implies or even says that they were controlled in some heavy handed fashion. And they may personally even feel that was the case in a given situation. It’s just not true. Holy Spirit just doesn’t operate that way.

He LEADS the dance. He’s not the gestapo.

236 posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:06:53 AM by Quix (Times are a changin' INSURE you have believed in your heart & confessed Jesus as Lord Come NtheFlesh)

-------------------

Posts # 237, 250, 261 & 268 on the above FR thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join