It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk all about racism.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The ones causing problems are the idiots like the op who stir # by constantly harping on about racism .
Gets very tiresome hearing the idiotic bull# they spout .

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: bigdaddycruel6699

I never said that we ignore it, but if we stop focusing on it start treating it as an aberrant thought process, we might make better strides.

Hell, how long do we need to talk about it?

It seems to me, the more we focus on it, the worse it gets!
Disliking someone because of their race is an aberrant thought process. The correction of that aberrant thought process would require a very thorough understanding of the mind.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
The ones causing problems are the idiots like the op who stir # by constantly harping on about racism .
Gets very tiresome hearing the idiotic bull# they spout .

Are you saying I am an idiot?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Aristotelian1

How about we just ignore the idiots who spout racism and hope that they don't reproduce.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Personally, I would like to be taken as an individual, not as a spokesperson for my people. I mean, when I do good, there are those who say things such as "you're not like the other people of your race" or "why does your race do bad things".

I have no clue why people of my race do bad things nor do I know why people of my race do good things, we are all individuals who do the things we do for our own purposes.

Kind of like BLM, sure there are bad apples but why demonize the entire movement, or take Muslims..why should all suffer for those idiots who choose to do evil.

I want a world where everyone is seen as individuals not as spokespeople for their religion, race, beliefs, gender or sexuality.

I admit I am guilty of this by lumping all right together, I am certain there are decent conservatives.
edit on 13-1-2017 by bigdaddycruel6699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

How about we just ignore the idiots who spout racism and hope that they don't reproduce.

Haha! Everyone has their own handling.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Or have the non racist/bigots speak out against them.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Free country, help yourself.

But when you have people replying to the idiots, that, by default, gives them an audience.

It's what they want. You know the old saying, don't feed the trolls.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Yes, people have been and still are isolated by geography, and that's a much more reasonable way to categorize people unless you're in the medical or genealogy profession. The word "race" once meant something like "nation" before people threw phenotype into the language. But the existence of biracial people and people of mixed decent refutes the need for race as a categorization.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

That's exactly right. Race and other identity politics is simply base tribalism, and it is an irrationality that can lead to the worst in human nature, as history has shown.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Yes, people have been and still are isolated by geography, and that's a much more reasonable way to categorize people unless you're in the medical or genealogy profession. The word "race" once meant something like "nation" before people threw phenotype into the language. But the existence of biracial people and people of mixed decent refutes the need for race as a categorization.
The existence of biracial people and mixed descent presupposes race as a categorization.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Aristotelian1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The existence of biracial people and mixed descent presupposes race as a categorization.

It also presupposes we categorize people by their parent's phenotype. What that says about the person we are categorizing is slim to none. It's a useless categorization that has served no purpose but to commit atrocity.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

What is the true definition of racism? Is racism bad? Is racism true? Why are people racist? How can we combat racism? Should we combat racism? Etc. etc.

This thread is all about racism. The purpose of this thread is to openly discuss the topic. Please remain kind and courteous while doing so.

What I have found is the following;
Once upon a time if we saw someone that did not resemble our family, coming through the woods, it was most likely that they were going to steal our provisions and women and kill the men who were not enslaved!
Evolutionarily, we grew to have a little red warning light come on whenever we saw someone... 'different' than us.
It became a feature of our atavistic makeup!
Being schizos, this 'discrimination' became insane hatred; hardwired into us!

We are all 'racists'!
We are either practicing or we are recovering!
Denial = practicing!

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

What is the true definition of racism? Is racism bad? Is racism true? Why are people racist? How can we combat racism? Should we combat racism? Etc. etc.

This thread is all about racism. The purpose of this thread is to openly discuss the topic. Please remain kind and courteous while doing so.

Once upon a time if we saw someone that did not resemble our family, coming through the woods, it was most likely that they were going to steal our provisions and women and kill the men who were not enslaved!
Evolutionarily, we grew to have a little red warning light come on whenever we saw someone... 'different' than us.

We are all 'racists'!
Denial = practicing!

Is this your argument?

Premise 1- The evolutionary process has caused racist propensities in all humans.
Premise 2- We are humans.
Conclusion-Therefore we have racist propensities.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Agree with the exception of couple of points, Affirmative Action is not entirely race based, and in fact white females are the overwhelming beneficiaries, however I would replace it with a needs gap, meaning if you are poor and we can give you a hand up regardless of your ethnic background color , creed or gender.

Ppl talk about racism but very few want to find a true way to solve it, as some believe it don't exist or only the guys waving a Nazi flag or burning a cross are racist.

Ppl will find ways to hate on each other, it could be folks of the same color but some live on the hill and some live in the valley and will remain enemies for all times.
The concept of race is constantly changing, used to be such a thing a the Irish race, or the German race, Benjamin Franklin, had some very hostile views towards Germans, he would be shocked to find that they are ones being used today by some as the prototype of the "White race"

The other objection that Ben Franklin had to German immigrants was their "swarthy complexion", which was an affront to the "purely white people" who originally settled America: Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion. 24. Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind.
www.dialoginternational.com...

Note the definition have been greatly expanded from today, and in this the man, lumped everyone else into the same basket as Africans.

Some nations have always been mult hued but very nationalistic in nature, one can point to Carthage and Phoenicians as examples.
edit on 14-1-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Growing up in 50's and 60';s I remember the racist being white people who migrated from the south,had southern accent's and an arm full of slang words most had an IQ of about 25,but if we were to walk thru a black neighborhood,they had some words too,I really think racism is used by those who feel inferior somehow,and must make up jokes etc,to try and make them look better,so I think racism is a result of inferiority complex,we have all survived for thousands of years,and in survival there is no race,just the human race

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

We are all 'racists'!
Denial = practicing!

Is this your argument?

Premise 1- The evolutionary process has caused racist propensities in all humans.
Premise 2- We are humans.
Conclusion-Therefore we have racist propensities.

I think it is an error to attribute 'causality', but that is close enough if you need to state it such.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I've discovered over the years that if you, you know, talk to people rather than at them, they soon become people/individuals, rather than a member of a "race". ...and I like them, or not, based on them, not on a them.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigdaddycruel6699
WOW if it was that easy, to stop racism by just not talking about it. As a minority, I rarely talk about racism unless we are discussing it in class, yet I have experienced racism, some subtle, some outright. I know the difference when someone treats you horrible because they are generally a bad person or having a bad day.
I can tell you not talking about it or ignoring it simply does not work.

Racism and minority are not the same thing.

As a female I have often been a 'minority'.

One white person in a classroom/office of blacks is a minority?

One black person in a classroom/office of whites is a minority?
edit on 14-1-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

"racism" is actually using th ewrong name. it needs to be ETHNICISM. WHy you ask? Because actual "race" used correctly is in reference to just HUMANITY as a whole.

The greys,are a single "race". HUmans are also a single"race"

The word was used long before people understood we are all of the same "race" What they thought was "race" was just Ethnic differences. Old scientist used to be stupid as hammers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join