It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst and Travis named as KC-46 bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Air Force announced the latest round of active duty bases for the KC-46. Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in New Jersey, and Travis AFB in California have joined Altus, McConnell, Pease, and Seymour-Johnson as home stations for the aircraft. They will each receive 24 aircraft to replace their current aircraft. Both McGuire and Travis currently have KC-10s based there, which is interesting considering the KC-46 was originally selected to replace the KC-135.

Both Fairchild and Grand Forks were selected as alternate bases. The Air Force still has to perform an environmental impact study before final selection is made for any of the bases.

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Air Force officials selected Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst, New Jersey, and Travis Air Force Base, California, as the preferred locations for the next two active-duty-led KC-46A Pegasus bases.

Twenty-four KC-46A aircraft will replace the legacy aircraft currently at each of those bases.

“Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst and Travis AFB were chosen as the next two active-duty-led KC-46A bases because they meet all operational mission requirements at the best value for the Air Force and the American taxpayer and support our tanker recapitalization strategy," said Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James. "It is absolutely essential that we continue investing in the next generation of tanker aircraft so we have the aircraft necessary to maintain the nation's global reach for years to come."

www.af.mil...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Haha thats a kick in the dick for my former home base Fairchild and Grand Forks doesnt have tanker support anymore since they kicked the 135s out in the late 2000s. I can understand sending them to McGuire first since it is closer to Boeing but I am not sure why Travis would get them unless they need substantially more ramp and hanger space then the 135s.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

They fall somewhere between a -135 and KC-10 footprint wise. Both of those bases make sense since they already have -10s.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They fall somewhere between a -135 and KC-10 footprint wise. Both of those bases make sense since they already have -10s.

I wonder how well they will do at some of the smaller places the 135s could go. Places like Manas dont have much ramp space for bigger birds.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

They should be able to get in and out. They're not a lot bigger than a -135.

new topics

top topics

join