It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Presidential Standards - A Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
One thing you have to say about Donald Trump is that he sure is unconventional.

Traditionally American presidents have been reserved, measured and, well for lack of a better world, "presidential". Presidents have traditionally exuded a sense of calm and stability, while Trump exudes a sense of the opposite, like he can and is totally willing to lose his cool for all the world to see.

Trump wears a branded baseball cap all the time, he flies in his own plane, hires people to clap for him and he even has a private security force. He is going to have his family stay in a tower named after him instead of the White House, at the cost of a million dollars a day or 2.9 BILLION dollars for an eight year presidency. In contrast it will take less than three months to outspend all of the money Obama has spent on vacations, just to house Trump's family remotely (I looked for Bush, but there was no data). Trump does not have a pet and I think that is a first too.

Trump shouts people down, looses his temper publicly and holds disputes with citizens in public forums. He curses, insults people, is multiple divorcee, and is proud of his womanizing. As a citizen, he is said to have been personally involved in over 4,000 legal disputes which is said to be more than ALL the presidents combined. (however I am not sure if that is even possible to confirm or deny)

I know many people find Trump to be real and I think in some ways he is, at least about his personality. On the other hand, the optics of Trump may ultimately change to nature of the way America is perceived around the globe. I am not sure about how these seemingly little things will play out over the years, but I wonder if they will have a lasting effect, paving the way for a whole new breed of president.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: banjobrain

I think Trump has been forced to be more aggressive by a rude and confrontational media. Also, regardless of who won between Hillary and Trump our standards were going to be lowered this election cycle.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Selective memory. There have been many presidents in our history that have been volatile and combative. Truman, just as one example, endured the same sorts of comments people make about Trump. He would take on the newspapers and 'managed news' eerily reminiscent of Trump. Teddy Roosevelt had a very volatile personality (and happened to also be the most popular president in history.) Andrew Jackson was considered a 'country Hick' and was a general, not a politician (but he balanced the budget.) One of my bucket list issues is to read a biography of every president. Whether I get that done is another issue, but the fact is our more obscure presidents have been quite the characters. we just don't know a lot about them in this day.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus v

Something serious is brewing Trey has been installed.gowdy.house.gov...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: banjobrain

I think Trump has been forced to be more aggressive by a rude and confrontational media. Also, regardless of who won between Hillary and Trump our standards were going to be lowered this election cycle.

I am not sure if I think Trump changed as a person though. His persona On The Apprentice was similar, maybe even more muted than presidential Trump. I mean his treatment of Lyin Ted, Lil Marco, Low Energy Bush was, by my calculation were not triangulated by the Media.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Selective memory. There have been many presidents in our history that have been volatile and combative. Truman, just as one example, endured the same sorts of comments people make about Trump. He would take on the newspapers and 'managed news' eerily reminiscent of Trump. Teddy Roosevelt had a very volatile personality (and happened to also be the most popular president in history.) Andrew Jackson was considered a 'country Hick' and was a general, not a politician (but he balanced the budget.) One of my bucket list issues is to read a biography of every president. Whether I get that done is another issue, but the fact is our more obscure presidents have been quite the characters. we just don't know a lot about them in this day.

Ok, this stuff is good to know. I was not alive back then so I didn't witness them... I sort of think Teddy Roosevelt was, energy-wise the closest to Trump, NOT low energy haha

I really enjoyed Teddy's auto biography, you can get the audio book free from Libervox, super cool character.

new topics

top topics

join