It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad news for my home town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
There has been an oil spill on the Ohio river and it appears it is beginning to effect the city I live in

Oil Detected in Louisville Water Intakes

By Associated Press

January 28, 2005, 11:21 PM EST

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The city's water company began detecting oil at its water intakes along the Ohio River on Friday, days after a ruptured pipeline sent 63,000 gallons of crude into a tributary upriver in northern Kentucky.

The city's drinking water is drawn from the Ohio River, and Louisville water officials said they suspected that the spill was responsible. Louisville Water Co. treated the water to remove tastes or odors associated with the oil.

The pipeline operator said the spill was contained in the Kentucky River by a series of booms that collected the oil slick, which at one point stretched up to 12 miles long. But a federal Environmental Protection Agency official had said it was "unreasonable" to expect cleanup crews to recover all the oil from the site of the rupture about 60 miles from Louisville.

www.newsalerts.com...:29543

This spill was 60 miles from my city and it is still effecting my drinking water. I have never been one who saw any reason to pay for water. The water we drink here in Louisville is some of the best in the country. Looks like I might be buying stock in Avian.

Edit to add another link:
www.newsalerts.com...:24349

[edit on 1/28/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Drinking water is one problem, one of the easiest to solve by buying bottled water. But what about your showers? And your laundry? It sounds like you'd have that petrol smell all over your clothes.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
real sorry to hear about it kidfinger.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
So far, no problems with the smell. To be quite honest, the article has made it out to be much worse than it really is. I have no signs of the petrol in my water, wether its for drinking or washing cloths.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I doubt that you would ever smell any petroleum odors. If you can smell it, then they are most likely in violation of the federal drinking water standards, either for a specific chemical or just the old catch all: "free from objectionable odors."

The water was treated before this, and it will be treated now. The cost of the treatment will just change.

join