It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Pan Introduces SB-18 Bill of Rights for Children and Youth in California.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

But you're using fear-mongering to initiate more draconian laws!

"Children are dying unless the state takes over! Why do you want children to die!!!"

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If you aren't mistreating or killing your child, you have nothing to worry about.

See, no fear mongering there.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

But you (the state) might construe "home-schooling" or non-GMO as mistreatment.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Buy I (the state) might not either.

Let's wait til we see the state arresting parents for not feeding their kids non-GMO food before we start acting like Chicken Little.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Buy I (the state) might not either.

Let's wait til we see the state arresting parents for not feeding their kids non-GMO food before we start acting like Chicken Little.

So lets pass the bill before we know what's in it.

hahahahahahahahahaha

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You can read the bill.
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

As we could the ACA.

I just found it interesting that there are those that will push for legislation without looking at the ramifications.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You can read the bill.
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...

Gee, I don't see anything in there about arresting parents who homeschool their kids or feed them non-GMO food.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Did you see where it wasn't there?

I can "non-sequitur" right back atcha.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Gee, I don't see anything in there about arresting parents who homeschool their kids or feed them non-GMO food.

That part comes from the hidden regulations.

Be careful with these kinds of "laws".

Sometimes supporters become victims.

ACA has generated lots of victims that never thought about it.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Did you see where it wasn't there?

So, anything that is not explicitly stated in a law can be done under that law?
I guess that means that simple laws are the worst kind. We need more complex laws!
edit on 1/14/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I am very Pro Welfare of Living Children. Just jumping in to give you my support.

Any idiot can create a child. Doesn't mean they're going to care for or take care of that child.

Laws are necessary to protect Living Children.

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

We need fewer laws.

But there will be those who will always want more. . . . .

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We need fewer laws.

But there will be those who will always want more. . . . .

Unfortunately, i believe that simply by having ANY laws that are not implemented by interpreting the spirit of the law, you are doomed to have ever more and more complex laws, by a kind of legislative entropy.

If you make a law about a thing, with the best intentions, unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be incidents that occur that are not covered by the existing law.
Someone (either an individual, a group, a company, a corporation or even a government) will find a way to operate outside of that law, and so lawmakers inevitably must respond by creating further laws, caveats and rulings in order to close loopholes and ensure that people operate within the law. This in turn leads to ever more inventive ways of circumventing said laws and the whole process is repeated.
Until finally, we arrive at the point we are now; where the law is so impenetrable and complex that a regular citizen has no hope of really understanding it, and is therefore paralysed by it completely, simply through a lack of knowledge and understanding.
We must therefore defer to 'experts', thus ceding control, and some degree of personal liberty, to a small group of individuals 'in the know'. Unfortunately for us, the rich and powerful then hire huge teams of these 'experts' to enable them to continue to operate outside the law with seeming impunity. And the whole farce continues.

Long gone are the days of appointing trustworthy and wise individuals to interpret the SPIRIT of the law and instead we have a situation where the law is ever more specific, intrusive and prescriptive (by necessity).

Honestly, i share your reservations about the possible implications of this legislation.

At face value, a charter of rights for children and young people, to ensure that they are well cared for and looked after seems like a 'no-brainer'.
However, it is easy to see how this could be abused, by both government AND the people it is meant to protect.

I feel the debate here is focused on the extremes; 'Government can/may/will take over the rights of parents to make decisions about raising their children' vs 'Someone has to protect the children from getting raped and abused and it's the government that will save us'.

Both arguments are a little extreme for my taste and i fear that the reality is, the cases that fall somewhere in the middle will be the contentious ones.

ETA: i'd also like to add that i am beyond grateful that there is, at least, one topic on the front page today that isn't about 'the T word' in some way, shape or form, and hasn't devolved into a "my dad's better than your dad" pis sing contest"

edit on 16-1-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

It reminds me of seatbelt laws.

Common sense laws that really have no place in a free society.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join