It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Obama Chronicles: Episode One - Gibson Guitars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As Obama's presidency nears its end, I want to reflect on the less well known [colossal] blunders of his failed administration…

I want to dissect his presidency so we can understand why American progressivism is in such dire straits…

What exactly did he do to so effectively destroy my parents Democratic Party??

So in an effort to understand his failures we begin with episode I:
Obamas ridiculous war on Gibson...

For many of you this story probably flew under the radar...for me it was HUGE...
I am a collector of Gibson guitars and have a love for this quintessentially American company...

Obama and his environmental nazis had quite the opposite opinion...
Obamas Justice Dept Raids the Gibson Factory

From 2011

Last week federal marshals raided the Gibson Guitar Corporation in Tennessee. It wasn't the first time. The government appears to be preparing to charge the famous builder of instruments with trafficking in illegally obtained wood. It's a rare collision of music and environmental regulation.

In the hottest part of an August Tennessee day last Thursday, Gibson Guitar CEO Henry Juszkiewicz stood out in the full sun for 30 minutes and vented to the press about the events of the day before. "We had a raid," he said, "with federal marshals that were armed, that came in, evacuated our factory, shut down production, sent our employees home and confiscated wood."

The raids at two Nashville facilities and one in Memphis recalled a similar raid in Nashville in November 2009, when agents seized a shipment of ebony from Madagascar. They were enforcing the Lacey Act, a century-old endangered species law that was amended in 2008 to include plants as well as animals. But Juszkiewicz says the government won't tell him exactly how — or if — his company has violated that law.

"We're in this really incredible situation. We have been implicated in wrongdoing and we haven't been charged with anything," he says. "Our business has been injured to millions of dollars. And we don't even have a court we can go to and say, 'Look, here's our position.'"

The U.S. Justice Department won't comment about the case it's preparing, but a court motion filed in June asserts Gibson's Madagascar ebony was contraband. It quotes emails that seem to show Gibson taking steps to maintain a supply chain that's been connected to illegal timber harvests.

Gibson vigorously denies these allegations, maintaining that all of its purchases from Madagascar have complied with U.S. and Malagasy law. A company attorney says Gibson has presented documents to support that claim and that the recent raid seized legally obtained wood from India. He adds that the company stopped importing wood from Madagascar in 2009.

Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO of the C.F. Martin Guitar Co. in Nazareth, Pa., says that when he first heard guitars built from Madagascar rosewood, he dreamed it might be the long-sought substitute for Brazilian rosewood, whose trade was banned in the 1990s due to over-harvest. Then the situation in Madagascar changed.

"There was a coup," Martin says. "What we heard was the international community has come to the conclusion that the coup created an illegitimate government. That's when we said, 'Okay, we can not buy any more of this wood.'"

And while some say the Lacey Act is burdensome, Martin supports it: "I think it's a wonderful thing. I think illegal logging is appalling. It should stop. And if this is what it takes unfortunately to stop unscrupulous operators, I'm all for it. It's tedious, but we're getting through it."

Others in the guitar world aren't so upbeat. Attorney Ronald Bienstock says the Gibson raids have aroused the guitar builders he represents because the Lacey Act is retroactive. He says they're worried they might be forced to prove the provenance of wood they acquired decades ago.

"There hasn't been that moment where people have quote tested the case. 'What is compliance? What is actual compliance? How have I complied?' We're lacking that."

To date Gibson has done nothing wrong to anyone with a brain...and now my beloved les Paul custom has a "plastic" fingerboard...

Stay tuned for the next episode:
Obama kills NASA and redirects their mission to Muslim Outreach!

-Chris
edit on 13-1-2017 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It seems anything that could be a symbol of American ingenuity was a target of the power brokers who installed our last traitor in chief. Gibson, NASA wtf. NASA from mission to the moon to mission to terror sympathizer, what a travesty. Good thing it backfired and gave us Trump.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I remember this as well since I play guitar and saw this news from an email a ways back. It was very maddening to see Obama plunder every kind of business there is, and how his administration was like a flesh eating bacteria devouring anything anywhere. Nothing has been out of bounds for Obama to attack in America since he hates America. You can tell by how he uses America for his own personal enrichment at the expense of everyone else.

He has been exactly like Attila the Hun in his economic policies. "It is not enough that Obama succeeds...Everyone else must fail".

I really hate that son of a B.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Gibson got caught sourcing wood illegally. All the wood was rightfully seized. Shame on Gibson. You must follow the law! You're mad because the less quality Gibson got caught knowingly breaking the law? Pathetic. The law was created for a reason.

Martin is the better guitar proven time and time again. They're obviously more responsible too. Thanks for pointing that out. More experience. Good German family. Better instruments.

www.martinguitar.com... mmit-bringing-together-industry-leaders/

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I remember in the late 90s they had a run of rare exotic wood Les Pauls, mostly various rosewoods from S America.

I thought his focus was a bit much especially looking back, but they are conscious of it before he started up

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Real Americans play Martins

Elvis played a Martin

Doc Watson played a Martin

Johnny Cash played a Martin

The Intro to Free Fallin' is a Martin. Eric Claptons Unplugged album is on a Martin. You get the point...

Gibson sounds like its using this new Trump commie tactic of supporting illegitimate governments.

Shame Gibson got involved in another country's politics. Probably time for a boycott. I'll make a note of it and contact the moderates.
edit on 13-1-2017 by BrokedownChevy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I'm a guitar guy too, so this is an issue I'm interested in. I know I'm going to take # for this, but you could have at least mentioned the outcome of the case instead of reflexively blaming Obama. In 2012, Gibson admitted to wrongdoing in its conduct in acquiring the ebony from Madagascar.

I grew up in the pacific northwest very near to the Tillamook forest, and did lots of camping, backpacking, etc. There was a lot of logging, of course, with massive swaths of clear-cutting. It was and remains hideous. I'm far from being a radical environmentalist, but it was just plain bad stewardship of our beautiful forests. And that is what happened in Brazil, and the Madagascar ebony bans are for similar reasons (it grows slower than it was being taken). Restrictions on exotic wood species truly does serve a purpose.

I'm not an Obama backer, but the truth is the truth. Gibson screwed up.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Us young fellers like Collings more than Martin, but I'm splitting hairs I think.

ETA: Not to split hairs even further, but Doc Watson has never been an exclusive Martin picker. He played a Gallagher for quite some time, who produced (still does?) a Doc Watson signature cutaway dread. If I'm not mistaken, he's also played a Collings.
edit on 13/1/2017 by MiddleInitial because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/1/2017 by MiddleInitial because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
Gibson got caught sourcing wood illegally. All the wood was rightfully seized. Shame on Gibson. You must follow the law! You're mad because the less quality Gibson got caught knowingly breaking the law? Pathetic. The law was created for a reason.

Martin is the better guitar proven time and time again. They're obviously more responsible too. Thanks for pointing that out. More experience. Good German family. Better instruments.

www.martinguitar.com... mmit-bringing-together-industry-leaders/

Martin doesn't make electric guitars anymore because when they tried, all they could muster was garbage...their electronics were poorly made and the magnets in their p90 pickup ripoff was borderline unplayable without massive overdrive on a tube amp...any solid state of today can't really pickup the pickups signal from the Martin electrics of the 60s...whereas my 1960 Gibson cherry burst les Paul with paf humbuckers sounds as good, maybe better than any of my newer gibsons...

They make a great acoustic guitar but Jimmy Page isn't known for his acoustic chops...

-Chris

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

To date Gibson has done nothing wrong to anyone with a brain...and now my beloved les Paul custom has a "plastic" fingerboard...

When it comes to guitars, each player has their preferences. I prefer a maple fingerboard with a fender-style body, depending on what I am playing.

The guitars I have played that had a richlite fingerboard were excellent to play, they gave the neck more stability and make fretless guitars a bit funner to play.

Have you played on a Richlite?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You talk all this trash about progressivism, but steve howe AND steve hackett both play gibsons.

For real, though, i do indeed remember this as it happened and recall thinking "just when i thought our government couldn't embarrass itself anymore than it already has..."

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Gibson guitar company treats its employees like crap and they all hate their own company. Screw them!!! Look at what real employees say for yourselves. That's a low rating even for glassdoor. Get the bum lawbreakers out!!! Gibson makes cheap guitars, uses illegal sources of wood, and is an embarrassment to American craftsmanship!!!

Gibson employees rate their own company horribly

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
It seems anything that could be a symbol of American ingenuity was a target of the power brokers who installed our last traitor in chief. Gibson, NASA wtf. NASA from mission to the moon to mission to terror sympathizer, what a travesty. Good thing it backfired and gave us Trump.

I must have missed something major. The OP and first reply both referencing what seems to be Obama using NASA in support of terror?

Are you guys referring to when we bombed the moon?

ETA: nevermind, LinkyWinky I found it - just a deep reaching, silly over-reaction to a very minor thing.
edit on 1/13/2017 by dogstar23 because: Found stupid overblown soundbyte

edit on 1/13/2017 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join