It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tells 60 Minutes shaping public opinion is "part of the job"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

Part of the job description is also shaping public opinion. And we were very effective, and I was very effective, in shaping public opinion around my campaigns. But there were big stretches, while governing, where even though we were doing the right thing, we weren’t able to mobilize public opinion firmly enough behind us to weaken the resolve of the Republicans to stop opposing us or to cooperate with us. And there were times during my presidency where I lost the PR battle.

So he still does not get it. That or he just flat out does not care.

Let me get this right cause I am confused. Voters elect people to represent them in all forms of government. Those elected are supposed to try to implement the will/views of the voters. It seems to me that the big O still has it backwards.
The reason he lost "the pr battle" is because he tried to push policies that the american people did not want. He got the presidency and congress when he was elected. He lost the house 2 years later for going against the will of the voters. He again lost the senate for going against the will of the voters. So in his 8 years the big O's public opinion went from everyone behind him to everyone against him, and he blames this on "losing the pr battle"? How about you did things that the voters did not want? Interesting to see the big O admit his fault was not being able to shine a turd enough to fool the voters into forgetting it is still a turd.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Having watched Trump shape his supporters' opinions for quite some time now I see your complaints here as hollow and biased.

PS: Obama didn't lose the PR battle. His approval ratings are going great right now.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Having watched Trump shape his supporters' opinions for quite some time now I see your complaints here as hollow and biased.

I disagree
I think trump(genuine or not) was inline with what voters wanted, or are you going to push trump tricked voters into voting for him?
I submit the house and senate majorities as proof of what the voters wanted.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I've been saying that Trump is running a con on his supporters for a long time now. His whole appeal is telling you want to hear then anything he doesn't want you to believe/say he flatly denies or calls fake.

I submit the house and senate majorities as proof of what the voters wanted.

I submit that as proof of gerrymandering.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I can like the guy (or just not hate the guy) and disagree with him....or no?

link   

PS: Obama didn't lose the PR battle. His approval ratings are going great right now.

Thats funny because I thought he was appealing to the wishes of the lowest common denominator amongst the American public, now you say he shaped everyones opinion???

I honestly cant keep up with you Trump haters, I wish youd make up your mind

link   

Why this obsessive desire to continue to trash O. He's gone, the campaign's over, it's Trumps turn in the barrel.

We have new turds now....stinking up the political landscape. Trump made a lot of promises for his first 100 days; shouldn't that be our focus,

This obsession is looking a little......well obsessive. Credibility comes from the ability to use reason.

edit on 13-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

so in the big O's first 2 years the gop was able to gerrymander his majority away? nothing to do with unpopular policies?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Who knows? I've yet to see a Trump supporter be critical of Trump. I however started off VERY critical of Obama and grew to like him over 8 years.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ahh, the mind of an autocratic narcissist never ceases to entertain...

No scandals???
I guess the little Benghazi incident didn't happen...
Or that time your Secretary of State had an illegal server in her home...her freaking home!!
The omnibus/stimulus Delusion...I mean bill...
Fast and Furious..
Black Panther voter intimidation...
IRS targeting tea party during the 2011 run-up to the election..
The Iran deal..

God lord 60 Minutes, that's off the top of my head...
This "journalist" couldn't do a follow up question on scandals??
I suppose if the reporter is so indoctrinated into the Obama mythos and believes the president to be infallible then he is incapable of scandal…

And to the second part I quoted...
That is the most laughable part of this interview…
One would hope the reporter would ask him about the affordable care act which passed at almost midnight on Christmas Eve without a single Republican vote nor a single Republican making any input in the bill……
What an absolute joke…

Obama is [still] living in an alternative reality where he is a good president…
When in the actual reality he was Jimmy Carterian at best...

At least he has approval rating polls which say he is the most popular president since Jesus…

Granted these of the same polls that had Hillary winning the presidency of Donald Trump losing Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida… But don't worry about that, just believe me when I say Obamas approval rating is super high and everyone loves him…

Seven more days until he is gone...have fun in the private sector obama...
I'm sure there are a ton of fortune 500 community organizer companies that are chomping at the bit to have you sit on their boards…

What's that you say?
Community organizers don't have companies…
That's right they don't actually do anything…
Well, have fun with that Obama…

-Chris
edit on 13-1-2017 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

He's done both. He's applied populism to gain his support then shaped their views with things that most conservatives don't traditionally believe. He's certainly shaped people's views regarding the media. That is indisputable.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It speaks to the arrogance of the left when they find fault in everything but their ideology.

link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

so in the big O's first 2 years the gop was able to gerrymander his majority away? nothing to do with unpopular policies?

Seeing as how the gerrymander happened in 2010, your point here makes no sense.

link   

When trump does things worth criticizing I will be more than happy to point out he who shops at morries wigs faults.

This thread, however, was intended to highlight the big O's backwards view of our political system.
When the voters want something, it is not his job to convince them that they don't really want that. It is his job to find a way to make it happen.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Obama may have high approval ratings but the Dems certainly do not... or they would not have lost over 1000 seats at state and federal levels over the last 8 years.

The guy would not know reality if it bit him on the butt.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Obama had it backward: it’s the Republican mapmakers who gerrymandered our democracy so effectively after the GOP’s historic 2010 victory who have made it hard for the voters to affect elections.

from your article
if it was AFTER he lost the house how was it responsible for him losing the house?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

When trump does things worth criticizing I will be more than happy to point out he who shops at morries wigs faults.

Uhhuh. I've heard you guys say that before and frankly I don't believe you anymore. So I'll believe it when I see it.

This thread, however, was intended to highlight the big O's backwards view of our political system.
When the voters want something, it is not his job to convince them that they don't really want that. It is his job to find a way to make it happen.

Yes and I'm pointing out how you are just being biased, because you are wrong. Politicians are supposed to be leaders. Yes, they are supposed to follow the will of the people, but leaders are also supposed to be independent and you know lead. That requires some semblance of convincing the public to go along with their ideas. This should be pure common sense, but when it comes to bashing Obama these things go out the window it seems...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

He's right.
Politicians need to sell their policies to the voters.
That's how they get elected.

I disagree with most of King putts ideology but on this point he's correct.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

so it's your opinion that the will of the people is irrelevant and the President know what's best for the plebes?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Where did I say that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join